• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Increase your mpg

geez150

Expert
Anyone have a tune or any other gizmos or gadgets that will improve the mpg on these 3 hole turbo motors? I have seen mostly around 11 mpg US gallon and once 12.5 mpg taking it very very easy the whole tank on a 100 mile ride with the old lady. I ride mostly with guys with 600 etecs that get 16 plus and it sucks looking for gas just for me. And sled has 650 miles so she is broken in and in past experience with my Yamaha four strokes I never saw much of a pick up if any after they got more miles on them and I don't want to carry a gas can, just want to make the engine and or chassis more efficient, thanks guys.

Sounds like you figured it out...

Riding with the "The old lady" gizmo/gadget results in a 1.5mpg improvement.

I'm probably averaging 12mpg with no old lady. So if I introduce "the old lady" I should be north of 13.5mpg right? Excellent!!

...anyway good luck on the fuel consumption. I've seen decent results (about average with my group).

The whole point of a turbo is to "have your cake, and eat it too" there is no reason it shouldn't achieve the same MPG as the Viper if you stay out of boost. Of course that depend on how much time Yamaha put into adjusting A/F ratios in "no boost" scenarios and they may leave the whole curve "fat" on fuel.

Anyone have a tune or any other gizmos or gadgets that will improve the mpg on these 3 hole turbo motors? I have seen mostly around 11 mpg US gallon and once 12.5 mpg taking it very very easy the whole tank on a 100 mile ride with the old lady. I ride mostly with guys with 600 etecs that get 16 plus and it sucks looking for gas just for me. And sled has 650 miles so she is broken in and in past experience with my Yamaha four strokes I never saw much of a pick up if any after they got more miles on them and I don't want to carry a gas can, just want to make the engine and or chassis more efficient, thanks guys.

It's all in the clutching. I'm running EVO stage 3 with a BTX Le geared for 95 mph and get 13-14 mpg with a mix of trail and off trail. Nos-Pro runs EVO stage 4 on same ride last weekend on his xtx Se and got 14-15 mpg with the taller gearing. Even stock you'll pickup 2-4 mpg with good clutching. JMO from testing we have done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's all in the clutching. I'm running EVO stage 3 with a BTX Le geared for 95 mph and get 13-14 mpg with a mix of trail and off trail. Nos-Pro runs EVO stage 4 on same ride last weekend on his xtx Se and got 14-15 mpg with the taller gearing. Even stock you'll pickup 2-4 mpg with good clutching. JMO from testing we have done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with Shagman 100%

Also, some members have switched to a different helix and @Keith Schmitz has been getting 15mpg with good clutching and reverse angle helix.

Agree with Shagman 100%

Also, some members have switched to a different helix and @Keith Schmitz has been getting 15mpg with good clutching and reverse angle helix.
True story. I know I've gone 113 miles with no fuel light on. There were limited WOT runs, but still rode fairly aggressively on the trails. I believe most of it comes from the helix. My sled can "cruise" at 70 at under half throttle, the motor isn't "working" hard at all.

Gearing helps to,taller gearing can help also,and from all my boosted sleds with tunes,i got better milage,as long as I was below 100 mph and snow conditions are critical as we all know too.

My fuel mileage by fill up

13.8, 15.2, 15.8, 16.3 running Wisconsin trails. Typically 25-40mph, slower speeds

Ran Canadian trails this week. Didn't try to convert. But not good at all. Speedo never went under 60mph.

It was definitely an eye opener.

This is all with TD EcoTrail package - I was getting 13ish while breaking in and riding HARD. Then getting 14 at ~500 miles, now getting 14-15 depending on conditions and speeds.

For the record, I wouldn't consider 650 miles as "broken in." Over 1000, now that's closer. But regardless, I hear ya. More mpg would be nice.

straight 38 helix improved my mileage. I ride with another sled like 95% of the time. I used to use(stock helix) about .2 .3 gallons more then other sled at fill ups.. Now(38 helix,1500 miles) we are even and at times I beat his sled.. this is a 1049 Yamaha engine that I use for mileage comparison.. I know I could move some weight around on my adjustable clutch arms to get even better>> BUT this makes the sled a little to lazy in the middle for me

Last edited:
Lower rpms at cruising speed while maintaining the the 8750 when wide open. That can be accomplished many ways and takes a lot of testing, or listen to the clutching gurus on this site and try some of what was mentioned.

I am in the same mileage range as you and need better but do not have the time or components to play with.

Dealer has a power up package which seems to be his cheapest, it involves a muffler and primary & secondary clutch work. The claim is 15 hp and a gain of 10 mph with 15mpg. And because of the added hp and the right settings on secondary it spins at 8800 wide open. All internal clutch components stock, even the weights..

So I shall continue to listen and decide next season on the many upgrades offered from all. But for sure I want better mpg when I decide to try to get mileage on a ride.

My cruising speed is quite high, certainly not 40 - 60, and with any set up conditions are a must for mpg.

8.5 - 12.5 on mine, depending on snow!! The 8.5 was my first tank full and trying to stay under 6800, but we were riding during a small snow event!!

Hey good luck and keep us informed if you do try to better your mileage this season. This is a great subject because I know we can have both, have been there on all other 4 strokes that I have owned, because of their low end torque.

Back