• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Installation of Rocztoyz Starter Saver

So a starter solenoid is an electromagnetic device. It gets a low current signal from the key switch. This in turn causes full battery amperage to go to the starter motor. This would power the starter motor and pull or engage the starter drive. You would not want that much current to flow through the key switch. So is there some thing different in the Yamaha 4 stroke sled circuits? If the solenoid sticks. And the light stays on. After all the work to get to the starter should the whole unit be replaced? Also the one way clutch? And is this light just to prevent further damage. Or it is it also a way to get back to home or to the trailer? I assume pulling the cables stops the starter. But maybe not the engine since the alternator might keep the engine running. Unless of course the fuel pump relay kills. Or the ignition. Might be wishful thinking.But if the starter drive is engaged with the flywheel that might not work either. Just wondering I guess stopping the sled would be better than causing further damage. Interested but very curious as to the whole scenario. Obviously you would not want to drive down the trail with the starter engaged. So this product sounds like a great idea!
Just realized I never really replied directly to this post.

All good questions, will hit the main points.
The reason I posted about the intake clamps is simple.
If you have the intake clamps tightened on the sled, by the time you find the tools, get them off, get the airbox off and are likely to get to the battery, your Starter, Stator, wiring, etc is most likely toast & there is almost no point in expending the effort to get to them.
It simply takes too long.

WithOUT the clamps, it only takes SECONDS and NO tools. There is an enormous difference in time, time that you do not have in this scenario.
(It's like the famous saying, when Seconds count, the Police are only Minutes away)

If you get to the battery and do a quick disconnect, odds are the Starter & other electronics is fine, with the exception of what caused the issue.
One: You MUST know there is an issue, and Two: You MUST be able to act on it quickly.
Without BOTH of these, your system will melt down if stuck on.

As Steve mentioned the 2006 model with the wing key caused some of these.
However, most now are more caused by simple age.
The general reason this happens is 2 fold, both relate to how well Yamaha builds the sleds.

One, prior to many Yamaha sleds of this era, most sleds wouldn't last that long, by the time the solenoids failed, etc, the starter had fallen off (like many of my Cats) or the sled itself was pretty well dead or beat.
The fact that they made these better means they last longer so you see more issues like this over time.

Two, the Yamahas are so well built you get no warning.
Have had starter solenoids die & stick on, on other vehicles, however they made noise prior to melting the system.
That gave warning.
The one way clutch is so well built that you NEVER HEAR A THING.

No warning, no noise, nothing. Until your sled dies. On the trail. In the cold.
This is exactly why we make the Starter Saver & sell them for our cost. it is simply to help other riders out.
The Starter Saver helps to troubleshoot what caused the issue to start with also.

Cat & Yamaha Riders on the newer sleds are running into the exact same issue, for the exact same reasons.

Hope this helps!

RockMeister

Last edited:

Back