• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

IQS for 300lb rider

Rtbo

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
23 SRX
I’m wondering what the big guys out there think of the valving on the IQS shocks? I’m coming off a ltx le with the QS3Rs and wondering what to expect. I was going to buy a new ltx le but they got rid of the QS3Rs AGAIN so if I have to have the shittier “QS3” might as well have switch on the fly “IQS”. Should I have them revalved from the get go? Can any of you with experience with the QS3Rs compare compression number to the setting on the IQS?

You can have your shocks/springs set for your weight by Hygear out in Rochester NY. Did that on my 2014 ZR9000 turbo and they worked great. I was curious about the QS3's a couple of years later and purchased them on all 4 for my sled. I like them as well. IMO, for the money unless you want to spend a bunch, having Hygear do the shocks and sell you thier dual rate springs to go with them, I think you will not be disappointed. If I remember correctly, the cost of all the springs was about the same as one QS3 shock. The revalving cost was several hundred dollars less than one QS3. In other words having new springs up front and under the front rear of the rear and rebuilding/revalving the shocks would cost less than two QS3's.

You shouldn't think of IQS as being a replacement for good shock tuning. IQS is just a way of adjusting a well tuned shock on the fly. The shocks still need to be tuned prior to getting the most out of them, you certainly will need to have the shocks setup by someone you trust. Once you have a set of dialed in shocks, IQS just gives you the ability to tune to the conditions that are in front of you and you feel it immediately. Woops after the corner, hit firm and pin it, smooth open trails, dial them down, big sweeping corner, dial them up again. The only thing I would like as an improvement over how IQS works is to have a dedicated light for which mode you are in as I don't leave the shock setting on the dash display. Well, I actually would like a better switch as well.

Shock Therapy talking about IQS.

You can also ditch the IQS in rear or front and switch it out with manual low speed comp adjuster or better yet a Hi/Lo adjuster. This still allows electric setting of other set.Sadly it’s not possible $ wise to add rebound adjustment to rear. I think it’s too slow stock revalve needed but that is personal preference.

IQS on a NEW 2023 SRX ! I have owned a few IQS sleds and know FIRM is too stiff to use ! Has anyone revalved to make all three settings usefull and if so , how much did you reduce the firm , to make it usefull ? Hygear can do it but wont say how much they will soften the Firm position . The other MEDIUM AND SOFT , WILL also be effected equally !

IQS on a NEW 2023 SRX ! I have owned a few IQS sleds and know FIRM is too stiff to use ! Has anyone revalved to make all three settings usefull and if so , how much did you reduce the firm , to make it usefull ? Hygear can do it but wont say how much they will soften the Firm position . The other MEDIUM AND SOFT , WILL also be effected equally !

Call John at Accelerated Technologies in Buckhorn, about an hour 1:45 from you. (I thought Bracebridge was closer). Peak Velocity can also do the valving as can @cannondale27 on the forum and for a great price but shipping will probably kill it for you.

Last edited:
You may want to talk with Hygear about multi rate springs verses changing the shock valving.

You may want to talk with Hygear about multi rate springs verses changing the shock valving.

IQS springs are already multi-rate. Hygear springs are dual rate meaning that there will be a more definite knee in the progression from slow to fast spring rates. Different springs will change the ride quality but not address how stiff the firm setting is, you need new valving for that.

IQS springs are already multi-rate. Hygear springs are dual rate meaning that there will be a more definite knee in the progression from slow to fast spring rates. Different springs will change the ride quality but not address how stiff the firm setting is, you need new valving for that.
The problem is you cannot change just the firm setting on IQS without effecting the other settings. Need to Hack the Suspension ECU to do that. Wish I could do that!

I’m wondering what the big guys out there think of the valving on the IQS shocks? I’m coming off a ltx le with the QS3Rs and wondering what to expect. I was going to buy a new ltx le but they got rid of the QS3Rs AGAIN so if I have to have the shittier “QS3” might as well have switch on the fly “IQS”. Should I have them revalved from the get go? Can any of you with experience with the QS3Rs compare compression number to the setting on the IQS?
First thing I would do is get torsion springs for your weight. I had my QS3r's revalved so I would highly recommend to anyone to have it done with either shock (QS3 or QS3r). I had QS3 shocks on my Viper so I have that comparison. Not a bad shock, but it lacked rebound adjustment so I switched them out.
Call John at Accelerated Technologies in Buckhorn, about an hour 1:45 from you.
I second this suggestion, John is the absolute best at suspension setups. Sorry guys but Hygear is not even a close second, they are good for parts but that's about it.

The problem is you cannot change just the firm setting on IQS without effecting the other settings. Need to Hack the Suspension ECU to do that. Wish I could do that!

At one point you mentioned revalving the QS3/3r/IQS so number 3 (firm) would be closer to number 2 did you discover something different? In either case, without the ability to revalve the shocks, the only way to 'fix' the firm setting is to not use it and/or change ride height so not using it means less bottoming out (which implies less sag and stiffer final spring rate).

Looking at the fox site and public documentation along with their statements and the kits that shock therapy sells, Its just a servo motor that performs the equivalent of a 3 position clicker from the bars/dash. At least that is how it works for the UTV setup which can be added to an existing fox shock. Its not like the SS on the doo or Fox Live where it is constantly adjusting itself.

Last edited:
My 2019 srx stays on firm 99% of the time i feel its the best setting until the trail gets real rough it goes to med, soft is too weak

My 2019 srx stays on firm 99% of the time i feel its the best setting until the trail gets real rough it goes to med, soft is too weak

LOL, you are hardcore! I cannot ride with IQS on firm on my local trails, my kidneys and knees would never forgive me, prefer medium. I can see using firm for high speed trails up north for sure.

At one point you mentioned revalving the QS3/3r/IQS so number 3 (firm) would be closer to number 2 did you discover something different? In either case, without the ability to revalve the shocks, the only way to 'fix' the firm setting is to not use it and/or change ride height so not using it means less bottoming out (which implies less sag and stiffer final spring rate).

Looking at the fox site and public documentation along with their statements and the kits that shock therapy sells, Its just a servo motor that performs the equivalent of a 3 position clicker from the bars/dash. At least that is how it works for the UTV setup which can be added to an existing fox shock. Its not like the SS on the doo or Fox Live where it is constantly adjusting itself.
I can change Position 3 on Qs3 and Qs3r to be close to 2 and not effect 2 and 2 but not on IQS since it’s a Servo with infinite adjustability controlled by an Ecu that Cat/Yamaha haven’t taken advantage of. It’s a shame.

I can change Position 3 on Qs3 and Qs3r to be close to 2 and not effect 2 and 2 but not on IQS since it’s a Servo with infinite adjustability controlled by an Ecu that Cat/Yamaha haven’t taken advantage of. It’s a shame.

The ECU and Stepper may have infinite variability but its going to one of three set positions and not using the in between settings. As a stepper its just getting go 'there' from the ECU, nothing in the middle. From the perspective of the valving, it should work just like a clicker since the resulting damping is fixed in nature (not variable like Fox Live or SS).

Back