• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Is a 2010 Vector worth the additional cost over a 2008/2009

dcstewart77

For those that have experience with both an 08 or 09 and a 2010. Is the 2010 world's better?

Here is my situation: I had been riding an 02 and 03 Viper (both bought new) which I sold this past summer. Great sleds, great engines, reliable, yamaha quality, etc, etc. BUT I had enough with the old seating position, old technology suspension.

In the interest of saving a lot of money, especially in this economy and job market, I found 2 used Ski-Doo revs at a great price…I know, I know, but it allowed me to get into an 06 500ss and 07 600sdi for less than the cost of one new sled…and both are still under warranty (which I might need with a ski doo :) ).

So I love the ride of the rev's and the seating postion, night and day over the vipers. But I've taken a step backwards with the engines, not nearly as nice as the viper. And while the quality/fit and finish are ok IMO they are not in the same league as Yamaha.

I think I can convince the wife that we should sell one of them and get a Yamaha Vector…maybe a left over, or maybe wait and order a 2011.

So is the 2010 worth a possible $1500+ premium over a 2009?

Thanks,

Doug

IMO....no.

A few more HP + a slightly improved rear skid isn't worth the $$...at least to me. Yes having FI is nice, but the carb'd version of this motor starts and runs flawlessly.

i would disagree - the 1049 motor with FI is definitely worth the extra cash - you never have to worry about proper jetting, cleaning carbs and FI power VS carb power isn't even in the same class.

I would get a 08' / 09' and save the cash.

But it's up to you, both have pro's and con's............I like saving money or getting things for a lower price............If you got the money then get the newer sled.............either way you will be very happy :4STroke:

woolyviper said:
i would disagree - the 1049 motor with FI is definitely worth the extra cash - you never have to worry about proper jetting, cleaning carbs and FI power VS carb power isn't even in the same class.

I never had had to worry about proper jetting. If I went to the mountains often, then maybe it's an issue. Cheaper to clean carbs than to repair a FI system.

How many more HP does the FI motor have....6? BFD. Even the most experienced rider won't be able to tell a 6 hp difference in a 120 HP class motor.

better hand warmers too. fully clipped track. visor connector built in. .rails, extrovert drivers, front facing track adjusters, larger rear axe;, fuel injected, better milage. $1500 difference 2010 all the way

I never drove a 2009 or older vector but had the same questions when i bought mine. Glad i spent the extra on the 2010. I didn't feel like installing a new set of bushings in the front every 2000 miles just because there were no grease fittings or fixing hand warmers before I even hit the trail for the first time. I also didn't feel like having to clean carbs once a year. If you really look at what people are complaining about these sleds, most issues have been addressed. I think Yamaha really did a great job of not only improving the vector but really refining it. It all depends on how much you value the improvements. For me, worth every penny.

Also, unless you keep it a really long time, the resale will be probably $1,000 higher on the 2010.

With all the improvements, I would buy the 2010.

markshop said:
better hand warmers too. fully clipped track. visor connector built in. .rails, extrovert drivers, front facing track adjusters, larger rear axe;, fuel injected, better milage. $1500 difference 2010 all the way

Another vote for the 2010. ;)! Markshop forget to mention the better Monoshock valving in the 2010 and that I have been reading magazine articles on dyno testing of the 2010 making close to 130 HP.
G.B.

markshop said:

better hand warmers too = define "better" - are they as bad as the Apex?

fully clipped track = meaningless to the average rider

visor connector = $10 to wire one in

extrovert drivers = meaningless to the average rider

front facing track adjusters = meaningless to the average rider (what do you do...adjust your track every time you go out?)

FI = meaningless to the average rider and more expensive to maintain. Store your sled properly and cleaning carbs is not needed.

You guys must be "on the payroll". Wait another month and I betcha I can grab a 2010 for <$8000.

Groomerdriver said:
markshop said:

Yes the hand warmers are much improved for 2010 I would say perfect.
more snow for slides.
You can get a nice handle bar mounted visor connector for $10 wow

front facing track adjusters = meaningless to the average rider (what do you do...adjust your track every time you go out?)
Just easier.
FI = meaningless to the average rider and more expensive to maintain. Store your sled properly and cleaning carbs is not needed.
No choke just turn key.
You guys must be "on the payroll". Wait another month and I betcha I can grab a 2010 for <$8000.

markshop said:
Groomerdriver said:
markshop said:

Yes the hand warmers are much improved for 2010 I would say perfect.
more snow for slides.
You can get a nice handle bar mounted visor connector for $10 wow

Just easier.
No choke just turn key.

Doubt that the warmers are perfect.

Fully clipped does nothing to add more snow. All the holes being open is what does it. I opened up all of mine but didn't see the need to fully clip it.

You use the choke 1X per day - when you first start it....after that...no choke.

Oh yea...the "new" Mono valving - people who ride the sled...not their keyboards....say the stock valving needs tweaking too. You can progressive valve the old Mono and it rides a LOT better. The best thing in the Mono 2 is the front strap. No more kicking rails while going slower in the big bumps.

A grand+ for this??? The guy asked and I'll hold my ground...not worth it. BUT if I had the money...what the heck...you only live once! ;)!

Well from what I've read the mono2 suspension is worlds better than the regular mono. FI to me nice but not that big a deal as far as maintenance with FI ummm if you think you can just ignore that your going to get a painful surprise my dads 250hp yamaha outboard stuck 2 closed after sitting all winter. For the outboards they have a treament that you shoot in the rails to help stop it but it still can happen.

The clipped track is a HUGE improvement never understood the other one Slider wear is a problem on these sleds and that sould help some.

Oh yea i forgot to mention the 2010 has replacable bearings in the idler wheels. Also for extra cooling it has a radiator with a fan behind the oil tank when needed for those low snow conditions. Also grease fittings on the upper and lower a-arms. I think all in all there has been quit a lot of very important improvements.

Back