• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Is it best to avoid the late build 2016 SR Vipers (bad rods)?

Quipper I have to believe that Yamaha will warranty NA sleds if a rod goes they have never personally let me down warranty wise. Nor have I heard of anyone with blown /broke motor even modded or aftermarket turbos that was not warrantied even out of warranty period as long as they had a decent dealer to help them. However I cannot vouch for them without some mistrust since they have deceived the public in more than one way recently. So far the good of Yamaha still outweighs the bad. If I was in your shoes I would take the chance. For many of us modding our sleds is a large part of snowmobiling and worth the risk. You only live once!
Good news, I got sick of wondering and worrying so I went to the garage and pulled the stator cover to check the rod. It's hard!! Couldn't scratch it at all with my file. I am very happy. Like you said I don't think there is as many bad rod engines out there as initially thought.

Good news, I got sick of wondering and worrying so I went to the garage and pulled the stator cover to check the rod. It's hard!! Couldn't scratch it at all with my file. I am very happy. Like you said I don't think there is as many bad rod engines out there as initially thought.
That’s awesome!

I bet it feels like a weight has been lifted off of you. Glad to hear the good news.

Does your sled have the half moon like the new build or the late builds? Also from your previous post you said your sled was NA. What does that mean?

Naturally aspirated or na

NA means no turbo.

Now I get what Swede was implying. Word from ULmER is even hard stock original rods are failing at 4psi once some miles are put on. NA will fail with high rpm. It’s a bad situation getting worse. 16.5,17 and 18.

NA means no turbo.

Now I get what Swede was implying. Word from ULmER is even hard stock original rods are failing at 4psi once some miles are put on. NA will fail with high rpm. It’s a bad situation getting worse. 16.5,17 and 18.

I wonder what is considered high rpm? My sled maxes out at 8500 RPM

NA means no turbo.

Really? I haven't seen alot of it around here.They have seen it more and more on 16,17 and 18s too? Its funny this is the first new unused sled I got and my second Yamaha, the only brand I would buy to get away from the uncertainty of the other brands.This is disappointing.

They were 9800. You are very low rpm.

Is that for a stock Viper? Mines an LTX, don't know if they rev less than a MTX? Maybe yamaha made it rev less because I've got the bad rods.

I had a 2014 ZR7000 with AC Clutching & now I have a 2016 ZR7000 with Team clutching, both are under 8700rpm. A technical bulletin from AC said some 2014 over rev and can hit the cut off (9200 rpm) under certain conditions.
233504d1398371422-xf7000-mods-uploadfromtaptalk1398371421911.jpg

Peak RPM 8500-8800 max. 9800 rpm not for stock sled.

Peak RPM 8500-8800 max. 9800 rpm not for stock sled.
Right 9800 is for modded sled I would never run that high. If you guys prefer 8500-8800rpm that’s fine but 9100 or so is where most of us modded guys prefer. No doubt lower rpm would help save weak rods. But hate to rub it in. My 14 has run its whole life between 9050 and 9200rpm. Depending on mods. 10000 mi. Yamaha should recall all the engines with those junk rods.

Now the latest. Ulmer says ALL 16.5,17 and 18 rods are bad and will not recommend turbo on any even at 4psi. Another builder that is very respected disagrees. And has just said only soft rod engines are bad. I cannot name him since he has not publicly stated that. He has posted here before and hoping he does once again. Yamaha has said nothing. So take it for what it is. Make calls and get advice before any of you guys mod.

Why would they continue to use bad rods? Picking up my 18 Wednesday and I'm not real happy reading this.

Back