• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Is it best to avoid the late build 2016 SR Vipers (bad rods)?

I was not to concerned when I got my 16 because I had no plans to turbo it but I did get the dealer to throw in 4 years of YESP. If I haven't broke one by then I don't think I will. Is upsetting that if it is a wide spread problem it definitely hurts resale / trade in value.

Here is what Allen posted on Facebook.
image.png
image.png
image.png

I was not to concerned when I got my 16 because I had no plans to turbo it but I did get the dealer to throw in 4 years of YESP. If I haven't broke one by then I don't think I will. Is upsetting that if it is a wide spread problem it definitely hurts resale / trade in value.
I wish it were like the old days when Yamaha themselves was on top of things like this and talked to the techs and dealers in a timely manner. All we all can do now is get all the info we can and form our own opinions.

All you owners of the new engine should carefully read the statement Yamaha released after the new engine was in customers hands and questions arose. Obviously the quality and durability statement has for sure been found to be false at least as far as rods are concerned.
image.png

The entire point of dealing with the extra weight of the 4 stroke was for the reliability.

4 lbs boost to get 170-180hp is quite a bit more than stock HP so I guess we could hope that us stockers will be fine... But knowing that will always be in the back of my mind.. I haven't had any issues with mine yet but still... know I'm even doubting putting a clutch kit in it...

There is a lot of leftover 16's sitting at dealers with big discounts. I was in sales at Dealership when this all went down. Really put the dealers in a position especially once the rods were found bad. Do you play dumb and make the sale or tell customer all you know and hope for best? Heck even mentioning the new motor put some fear in buyers. Glad I am not in sales anymore.
Heinens motorsports in Osseo MN has 2 '16 mtx 162's BRAND NEW For $6200 and have been on there website for a very long time. My guess is they will have to pretty much give them away to get rid of them.

The entire point of dealing with the extra weight of the 4 stroke was for the reliability.

4 lbs boost to get 170-180hp is quite a bit more than stock HP so I guess we could hope that us stockers will be fine... But knowing that will always be in the back of my mind.. I haven't had any issues with mine yet but still... know I'm even doubting putting a clutch kit in it...
Stock is supposed to be around 135hp. Keep in mind nothing happened till 5000mi. Most Yamaha’s are still on Trail at 10000 mi +.

Heinens motorsports in Osseo MN has 2 '16 mtx 162's BRAND NEW For $6200 and have been on there website for a very long time. My guess is they will have to pretty much give them away to get rid of them.
Those are still there? Kinda surprised as I went to get a left over 16' MTX 141 or 153 when they were at 7500$ back in April but all the 141's and 153's went quick. Ended up grabbing a Yamaha demo 14' XTX for 5700$ from them. 162's are a hard sell in Minnesota though.

Those are still there? Kinda surprised as I went to get a left over 16' MTX 141 or 153 when they were at 7500$ back in April but all the 141's and 153's went quick. Ended up grabbing a Yamaha demo 14' XTX for 5700$ from them. 162's are a hard sell in Minnesota though.
Yup those are still there. Saw them this morning while looking around for a phazer for the wife. Yeah you have a point about selling a true mountain machine like that in Minnesota. Not like your going to take that for a rip around here well MOST people wouldn't.

I found a super clean, low mileage 2016 Viper ST-X 137DX for $7500, but I'm a bit paranoid to buy it because of the "new and improved" engine that may or may not have bad rods.
Has it been determined if the bad engines fall into a certain serial number range?
Or, for peace of mind, would it just be best to avoid all 2016 Vipers with the new engine?
Thanks!
Well, despite the potential for disaster, I decided to roll the dice and buy this sled! I was able to talk them down to $7000.00 and it only has 35 miles on it (that's three, five and no zero's)! The deciding factor was the addition of a four year YES warranty, so if a rod decides to ventilate the crankcase, I know I'll be covered.

I got 12300 km, (7688 miles) sled is stock and have not had a problem as of yet. By the end of this season I should have over 11,000 miles is all goes good. I have warranty tell 2018.

That is great to here. I've only got a little over 600 miles on mine. ( lack of snow ) Hoping for more snow this year just like everyone else on this website.

Back