• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Warning, -16 late build Viper turbo breakdowns, bad rods.

I know. Phazer even has one.

To be fair Phazer needed 91 octane from the start. Not sure I understand the reference. The FX Nytro or RS Vector needing 87 octane doesn't have a knock sensor but I agree they should of added one even if its the "same" engine as it now requires 91 octane. But when would they have foresee justification for this change? It was easy on the 2011 Apex model year changes.

Its just the turn of events didn't warrant one as the first MPI turbo where dealer installed pre-2016. They had no issues until 2016's rod changes... harder to predict it would lead to detonation rod failures. By no means I'm excusing Yamaha. I'm just trying to make sense of it all from a big engine company like them.

To be fair Phazer needed 91 octane from the start. Not sure I understand the reference. The FX Nytro or RS Vector needing 87 octane doesn't have a knock sensor but I agree they should of added one even if its the "same" engine as it now requires 91 octane. But when would they have foresee justification for this change? It was easy on the 2011 Apex model year changes.

Its just the turn of events didn't warrant one as the first MPI turbo where dealer installed pre-2016. They had no issues until 2016's rod changes... harder to predict it would lead to detonation rod failures. By no means I'm excusing Yamaha. I'm just trying to make sense of it all from a big engine company like them.
If the rods were made properly they would not fail detonation or not at level they do now. Period. End of story. Cripes I had cars that had detonation all the time. Nothing failed for over 100000 mi. They messed up and now need to fix. No excuses.

What manufactured date from say 5-15 to 5-16 or what?
Nobody including Yamaha knows. They pretty much included all the 16.5's in Turbo recall. Look for the half moon rubber black cam plugs under valvecover if it doesnt have them its not to be turboed unless rods were upgraded.

Back