• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

is there any reverse fix?

John Bjorklof

Country
Other
Snowmobile
Phazer 07
hey, i just bought myself a 07 phazer (yes i know the worst year model) and the reverse just works when it wants to work... is there any solution for the problem? isn't it a pretty comon problem?

Give the serial number to dealer and see if it had the bulletin carried out. They had a fix where they shim the secondary and put a different number belt on. I cant remember which one is which but the belt numbers changed from an 8f to 8G or something like that.

8GK is the "revised" belt that's slightly longer. we need some more info from you.
Does the light flash but not go into reverse?
-Loosen the track some, secondary shim up date, and 8GK are all possible fixes
-Make sure the warm idle is in the 1700-1800 range.

Push the button and nothing happens?
-fuse bad
-reverse gearbox is dry and needs to be resealed and 80w90 added, or the actuator is going bad possibly caused by stiff shifting from a dry gearbox.

mine likes to jam up quite a bit with a flashing light, usually a quick bounce on the running boards lets it shift for me, I can make it work 100% but the secondary has to be so loose that clutch engagement is jerky.

Last edited:
Great advice above!! 07-16 there all awesome sleds!! 07, granted a few issues, and over 12k of abuse :)
Rocking the sled left right will usually engage reverse if above posts are all good.

A trick I've found if the problem is engagement is to make sure I'm holding the brake when I come to a stop, press the button then release the brake.

07' are either really good or really bad. I know a few members that have had great luck with their 07' and have put tons of trouble free miles on them once all or most of the updates have been done. What is your engine idle speed set at? I found my 09' reverse engagement was better once I lowered my warm idle speed down to 1,800 or below. Also, the reveres system is still mechanical. If the sled gear box is in between gear teeth , the sled will not go into reverse. Either rocking the sled by tugging on the handle bars or bumping the sled forward in drive should also help going into reverse. G.B.

A trick I've found if the problem is engagement is to make sure I'm holding the brake when I come to a stop, press the button then release the brake.

Do you mean "come to a stop, put on the brake and then push the button" or "stop with the brake and hold, push the button" or another method?

As said above, depends on the issue.
If it's just that the reverse light is flashing then, rocking it, compressing the rear suspension a bit by bouncing on it, or pulling it a few inches backwards or forwards should work.

If the button does nothing , which mine sometimes does, shutting it off and re-starting it generally gets it into reverse without issue.

I should probably change the oil in my chaincase, who knows when it was last done.

They are so heavy that they really need reverse!

Do you mean "come to a stop, put on the brake and then push the button" or "stop with the brake and hold, push the button" or another method?

Stop with the brake and hold, then push the button and release the brake. Seems like the gears move just enough when releasing the brakes that it all meshes together. Don't need to lock up the track or anything, just enough resistance when coming to a stop seems to do the trick.

I played around with it yesterday and your method seems to work well. Maybe the belt doesn't quite go to the top and put as much tension on the gears. With the clutch cover off, I saw how it turned when shifting. The clutch has to turn a certain amount to engage.

I had the "push and nothing happens" problem too. My D light was flashing irregularly so I think it may be an issue with the sensor switch in the gear box. I jerked the sled a bit and it would shift.

8GK is the "revised" belt that's slightly longer. we need some more info from you.
Does the light flash but not go into reverse?
-Loosen the track some, secondary shim up date, and 8GK are all possible fixes
-Make sure the warm idle is in the 1700-1800 range.

Push the button and nothing happens?
-fuse bad
-reverse gearbox is dry and needs to be resealed and 80w90 added, or the actuator is going bad possibly caused by stiff shifting from a dry gearbox.

mine likes to jam up quite a bit with a flashing light, usually a quick bounce on the running boards lets it shift for me, I can make it work 100% but the secondary has to be so loose that clutch engagement is jerky.

Is the gear box oil different than the chaincase oil? Also what is the part number for the shim?

It's the same oil. Shim is 90201-345G2-00

Interestingly it appears the belt fixed the issue, I could have sworn the belt I put on it and fixed it was an 8GS-17641-10-00(of course that number does not come up on yamaha site). I think a quick check for folks to see if it is a belt or shim issue, would be pull the clutch cover, start the sled and see how much tension is on the secondary. I noticed a good amount, so when I put in reverse, I rotated the secondary back just a touch and it went right into reverse. Which brings me to a point where someone said they come to a stop, put on the brake, then hit reverse. I could see that helping as well. I did measure the width of the belt that came off to two of my spares and it was wider.

Back