• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Just Bought a new SRViper -- Ride Impressions

The SkiDoo model was a base sport carbureted 600.

weasel33 said:
Are all the14's the same with the belt not going all the way to the top of the secondary?. There were 7 vipers at the show last night and all of the belt were to the top or within an eighth of an inch of the top. When I asked the rep about it he said that the belt being a1/4 of an inch down is pretty common and acceptable. Is that true? If it is you may as well cut the secondary down that little bit and save the weight of the rotating mass.

8DN with just the ribs above the sheaves and ROCK!

Belt to low in sheaves gives a higher gear ratio at take off, among other things. Rep at the Denver snow show thought 100 pounds of air pressure in the front skis was a good idea..................

CBR said:
I will have the clutching changed as per these recommendations by next season, and I do happen to have an 8DN belt. If I ride again this year I will try it.

Went 150 miles yesterday, was able to reach 90 mph on the speedo, temp was near 20F on the same trail as referenced before with 88 mph. I believe it to be the snow condition, not that the sled is getting better each time. Viper handles the rough in the corners beautifully! Stays planted to the ground nicely, no ski lift in corners. I also rode a 2014 Ski Doo 600; I did not like it nearly as well as the Viper in bumps, corners, or the seating position. Maybe I just was not used to the ergonomics of it... Got back on my Apex yesterday as well -- the riding position now seems awful in comparison. I can only hope the Viper is as trouble free as the Apex has been.

Pending a huge warmup/rain/flood, I think we may have enough snow left to ride into April. I took this photo yesterday in Montague, Tug Hill, NY; 15 miles from my house (as the sled flies). Gotta love a season's worth of Lake Effect! enjoy!

That snow looks awesome!! :Rockon:

CBR said:
Went for a quick 30 mile ride after work on Tuesday. Viper was good for 88 mph top speed at 8510 rpm on a perfectly groomed straight trail, temp was 28 F.

Seems like there should be more in there somewhere; I will have to change my clutch setup as identified above.

Give the motor a chance to get broken in before you think something is "missing"........those things take 1500 or so miles to really loosen up and run like they should.

buddah said:
CBR said:
Went for a quick 30 mile ride after work on Tuesday. Viper was good for 88 mph top speed at 8510 rpm on a perfectly groomed straight trail, temp was 28 F.

Seems like there should be more in there somewhere; I will have to change my clutch setup as identified above.

Give the motor a chance to get broken in before you think something is "missing"........those things take 150h0 or so miles to really loosen up and run like they should.
yes thats right I couldnt get over 8600 rpms until 300 to 600 miles . Now this animal revs to the top at 1200 miles so thats when I started to mess with clutch and belt. Give it a chance and hammer on it. It will keep pulling harder.

It's bad when you go to a show and just about everyone in the room knows more than the reps know. Stingray, nospro , and yamatim should be paid by Yamaha, go to all the shows and talk to the people so we can all have sleds that run the way they are supposed to come from the factory!

CBR said:
The SkiDoo model was a base sport carbureted 600.

I rode one of those as well and that's not really a fair comparison. The Sport uses old cheap sealed "motion control" shocks. Something like a TNT or Renegade with HPG plus shocks would be a more direct comparison.

weasel33 said:
It's bad when you go to a show and just about everyone in the room knows more than the reps know. Stingray, nospro , and yamatim should be paid by Yamaha, go to all the shows and talk to the people so we can all have sleds that run the way they are supposed to come from the factory!

Thanks man!! ;)!

Lol...I agree!! I'm going to ask the reps a lot of questions, and I'm sure they will say "I don't know" but I'm going to ask anyway!! It is pretty nice having TY as a reference and to help others and give people ideas! I like helping and I know the other guys named above and a few others that will help and put you in the right direction! ;)!

Maybe we should ask Yamaha for a job....lol...probably minimum wage ;):D

YamahaTim said:
weasel33 said:

Thanks man!! ;)!

Lol...I agree!! I'm going to ask the reps a lot of questions, and I'm sure they will say "I don't know" but I'm going to ask anyway!! It is pretty nice having TY as a reference and to help others and give people ideas! I like helping and I know the other guys named above and a few others that will help and put you in the right direction! ;)!

Maybe we should ask Yamaha for a job....lol...probably minimum wage ;):D

I'm all in and would love that!!!

I agree with Tim, it's awesome to have TY!

Yes we will steer you in the right direction :)

Give the motor a chance to get broken in before you think something is "missing"........those things take 1500 or so miles to really loosen up and run like they should.

Ran the sled 20 miles tonight, temp was 35, and was able to achieve 93 mph withe a little more to go, but ran out of safe trail. This was on exactly the same stretch of trail as my 88 mph top speed last week, with a warmer (above freezing) temp and corresponding snow conditions. Seat of the pants feel tells me it pulled harder too, but that could be my imagination. I'm at 300 miles right now and top end is up 9 mph over my first ride in what are probably inferior snow conditions. Does anyone think that the engine will "wake up" this soon? Does how you break in the engine contribute to this at all? Interested in your thoughts.

My nytro kept getting strong til around 1200 to 1400 miles. I broke it on the same way I ride it, beat the crap out of it for a while then take it easy for a while.

Back