• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

LOTS OF WHITE SMOKE ON ACCELERATING AND OIL DRIPPING FROM EXHAUST?

17Sidewinder

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder R-TX SE
Hey guys I am new to the group. I Have a 2017 Yamaha Sidewinder R-TX it has 1600 mile on it. When you are accelerating It has lots of white smoke and when you stop It has oil dripping out of the exhaust. It will start and idle some what but some times your have to keep fethering the throttle to keep it running. Im thinking that I need to do a compression test on the cylinders to see if they are strong snd then maybe see if the turbo is bad? Any help would be great! I live in springfield Illinois.

welcome!

sounding like you need to pull the intercooler and drain it. the oil tank vent goes to the intake for the engine factory and causes condensation in the intercooler that can build up into a sludgy mess and cause issues. some guys have to do it every season on their sleds.

Do a compression and/or leakdown test. You may have taken out a piston.
Is this a stock or tuned sled?

Do a compression and/or leakdown test. You may have taken out a piston.
Is this a stock or tuned sled?
It is a tuned sled. I am going to do a compression and leak down test tomorrow. I unbolted the exhaust from the turbo and their is oil in the turbo on compressor wheel and running down into exhaust. The wheel in the turbo spins fine I talked to a buddy and he wants me to check the shaft tomorrow and make sure their is no play in it. Thank you for the help!

welcome!

sounding like you need to pull the intercooler and drain it. the oil tank vent goes to the intake for the engine factory and causes condensation in the intercooler that can build up into a sludgy mess and cause issues. some guys have to do it every season on their sleds.
t is a tuned sled. I am going to do a compression and leak down test tomorrow. I unbolted the exhaust from the turbo and their is oil in the turbo on compressor wheel and running down into exhaust. The wheel in the turbo spins fine I talked to a buddy and he wants me to check the shaft tomorrow and make sure their is no play in it. Thank you for the help!

Who's tune and what power level?

t is a tuned sled. I am going to do a compression and leak down test tomorrow. I unbolted the exhaust from the turbo and their is oil in the turbo on compressor wheel and running down into exhaust. The wheel in the turbo spins fine I talked to a buddy and he wants me to check the shaft tomorrow and make sure their is no play in it. Thank you for the help!
Sounds almost exactly like what happened to my brother-in-law's PEFI Stage 3 tuned ZR9000. His took out 2 pistons and etched the cylinder head bad enough that he had to replaced the cylinder head casting. It was likely due to detonation from bad fuel and possibly a knock sensor that wasn't working properly to light up the dash. He had it repaired and it has been running great for 3000+ miles now. He has been using Boostane Professional octane booster in every tank of fuel since the rebuild.

So the guy I bought it from said Minocqua yamaha put it on. Not sure the brand. 245hp. I called them they have no record of what they put on it. I gave them the name and the vin from when he owned and and they have no records they were (lost). I did a compression test on it 1 cylinder was 165 2 cylinder was 0 and the 3rd cylinder was 65. They ran a camera down there and number 2 and 3 both have holes in the pistons. I guess the next question is can I ask is there a kit that I can buy to rebuild the motor?

ouch.

no kit i am aware of but hurricane or another member might be able to point you in right direction.

are you looking g for parts or parts and work done?
There are a lot of options also
How far do you want to go with it

Back