• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Max Spool 16 and Dalton weights.

Motorhead

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 SW LTX-LE
I got the Max Spool 16 at the end of last season and ONLY managed a weekend in the County with it. About 440 miles in 1 1/2 days.
At that time I was utilizing my dealers' set up. Slightly machined primary which allows belt to ride up to about 1/8" to the top of the shortest sheave, secondary also machined to prevent coil bind with the 35/39 helix set at 80. Running both stock springs, and just an added washer to the tip weight in my primary. RPMs, highest seen during ride was 8900 and lowest was 8750 for a very short time. I have added the TS BOV since so it may be a tad higher RPM now. But I heard that the Daltons are the way to go for top speed, so I bought a set of the QAY 70, and now I am trying to find the best combo for those.
I started with a total weight of 73.8, which is almost where I was at with the stock tip with added washer, after some grinding to achieve what I wanted for revs.

Tried less weight 3 times, but still not where I want to be with RPMs. with the Daltons.

So rather then running the weights almost empty, I want to try a stronger primary spring like the Dalton Black and Blue.

What clutch combo is working for you with the Max Spool 16 and Dalton weights ?

I got the Max Spool 16 at the end of last season and ONLY managed a weekend in the County with it. About 440 miles in 1 1/2 days.
At that time I was utilizing my dealers' set up. Slightly machined primary which allows belt to ride up to about 1/8" to the top of the shortest sheave, secondary also machined to prevent coil bind with the 35/39 helix set at 80. Running both stock springs, and just an added washer to the tip weight in my primary. RPMs, highest seen during ride was 8900 and lowest was 8750 for a very short time. I have added the TS BOV since so it may be a tad higher RPM now. But I heard that the Daltons are the way to go for top speed, so I bought a set of the QAY 70, and now I am trying to find the best combo for those.
I started with a total weight of 73.8, which is almost where I was at with the stock tip with added washer, after some grinding to achieve what I wanted for revs.

Tried less weight 3 times, but still not where I want to be with RPMs. with the Daltons.

So rather then running the weights almost empty, I want to try a stronger primary spring like the Dalton Black and Blue.

What clutch combo is working for you with the Max Spool 16 and Dalton weights ?
Messagr TD ask for ben,he likes that blue/blk spring and stock 35 helis,i have all Dalton stuff,but its up north,and after the melt down it may be a while before we have anything to ride on.I think you want the Dalton ramps loaded to about where you have it now,try the stock helix and Dalton orange/blk at 70 degrees.

I did try the stock 35 during the process of taking weight away from the primary tip. Did not seem to help my rpm's come up, and I really enjoy the smoothness of that 35/39 when compared to the straight 35. Shall be trying both for sure during this process, but looking for some insight, to save me some time for riding instead of testing with our snow scheduled to wash away Friday. You know, you've ridden with someone who is testing and riding, it sucks unless all are testing. So yes my thoughts and research suggest, just as you said, B/BL primary with glides, and orange Black on the secondary.

Last edited:
I got to try my max spool 16 a bit, stock helix with dalton black/orange ,new version set at 6 and 2, Started at 72.2 , went to 73.4 reving to 9100, then tried 75 grams, holds at 8950, but could on hold for about 600-700 ft.Also have TS Bov, gauge shows 16.5 psi boost.I think about 74.5 might be the best, but I need better conditions to test more.Waiting to get flash updated for 3 bar sensor next.

I did try the stock 35 during the process of taking weight away from the primary tip. Did not seem to help my rpm's come up, and I really enjoy the smoothness of that 35/39 when compared to the straight 35. Shall be trying both for sure during this process, but looking for some insight, to save me some time for riding instead of testing with our snow scheduled to wash away Friday. You know, you've ridden with someone who is testing and riding, it sucks unless all are testing. So yes my thoughts and research suggest, just as you said, B/BL primary with glides, and orange Black on the secondary.
Yes I did forget to mention I have slieds in now,and always will,they work! That b/blk spring will bring up our rpms,but at what exspence,high engagement tends to be harsh on gas milage when used aggressive,i do now have my stm 38 and red spring that ulmer sent with his kit,and his red primary with stm ramps. I suspect the 39 finish on your helix may be causing the overall lower rpms,although if you keep it at 8700-8800 that's where TD wants it to run.

I got to try my max spool 16 a bit, stock helix with dalton black/orange ,new version set at 6 and 2, Started at 72.2 , went to 73.4 reving to 9100, then tried 75 grams, holds at 8950, but could on hold for about 600-700 ft.Also have TS Bov, gauge shows 16.5 psi boost.I think about 74.5 might be the best, but I need better conditions to test more.Waiting to get flash updated for 3 bar sensor next.
OK so you have the Dalton ramps loaded to 75 grams and it is still able to hold 8950,that awesome,you don't have to run 9000 for best performance,heck 8800 is fine to,what primary spring and the new version Dalton secondary run cool at 80 degrees wow,all good news. Keep us posted.

Dalton QAY 70 weights
I have his DTYA-1 version,and mine are loaded a tad heavy at 77 grms,if I run them I will try empty,as it appears they weigh 74.6 grams.

Nice, glad to hear that you easily found some revs. What spring in your primary?
Flash update for 3 bar sensor?
When did you get your Max 16 flash?

Yes, I believe the Tune has to be able to accept(update) the 3 bar Map sensor. Just had mine done and the performance shop said the same thing about the tune having to be able to allow/accept the 3 Bar sensor.

Mine is Hurricane Flash Bundle...and my biggest map is 270HP. Hurricane wants the sled to run 8700-8800 RPM's...this is where the most power is created, we dyno'd mine and you can see this is where the most power is made. Drops off quickly after that.

My tune is 8900 rpm ideal.

9000rpm with high flow mufflers.
Underrated tune the max spool 16

My tune is 8900 rpm ideal.

9000rpm with high flow mufflers.
Underrated tune the max spool 16

Yes, very glad I upgraded to the Max Spool 16.

There seems to be a bit of misconception concerning this flash. If someone has last years version of this flash, do they need an updated flash before they can add the 3 bar sensor?

Will the 3 bar add more boost or power?

Stock primary spring, flash was installed a few weeks ago with stock 2 bar map sensor, flash needs to be updated to use 3 bar map sensor, trying to get it done soon.

Yes, very glad I upgraded to the Max Spool 16.

There seems to be a bit of misconception concerning this flash. If someone has last years version of this flash, do they need an updated flash before they can add the 3 bar sensor?

Will the 3 bar add more boost or power?
If you don't have a blow off valve upgrade, don't bother with a 3 bar. If you have a bov, a good idea is to add 3 bar as well. You can still run blow off on max spool 16sm without a 3bar though.

Reason for the 3 bar is the tune runs 16.4 to 17.0 of boost right near the limit of the stock sensor. For better control.

Back