• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mono shock damage / rubbing track --PICS--

BA APEX

Expert
205 miles on my RTX now. great sled! but 1 problem.
I took off my shock to put in the heavy duty spring tonight. The top of my shock was rubbed 3/4 through. Track has been kept tight never felt any rubbing. I do have studs and a few are in the middle but I felt if track was kept tight I wouldn't have any issues. I am on my way to the dealer tomorrow to have them swap my spring for me.
I heard of others that had the same problem a while back, please post some pics of your shock so that I can show my dealer proof of others that have had the same problem.
has anyone heard if Yamaha knows there is a problem?
here is a few pics of mine.

Attachments

• rtx1.jpg
    rtx1.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 380
  • rtx22.jpg
    rtx22.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 384
  • rtx3.jpg
    rtx3.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 507

Diffenetly looks like stud marks, but will check today on mine. Never heard anything slapping underneath, and never had a problem with the 05 mono.

?????????????

I just looked at the shock in my attak. I cant see how the track could rub.Along the side of the shock there are two big nylon wear pads that sit higher than the top of the shock. I would think these pads would wear first. Did your pads have any marks on them?

I looked at your stud pattern on your sled in your for sale add. You have studs right up the middle of your track. I've been studding tracks for over 18 years and you should not put studs right in the center of the track. Your pattern should leave about two inches of the middle of the track open. All the stud templates leave this space , so obviously you didn't use one. I'm not saying that this is your fault, I'm just saying that if you would have kept the studs out of the exact center of the track you wouldn't have this problem. I don't think that the track should rub against the shock but if it does it shouldn't rub through it.

jds1000 said:
All the stud templates leave this space , so obviously you didn't use one. I'm not saying that this is your fault, I'm just saying that if you would have kept the studs out of the exact center of the track you wouldn't have this problem. I don't think that the track should rub against the shock but if it does it shouldn't rub through it.

I did read post of this happening before i studded and told the guy that studded my track(he laid out the pattern). he said it looked like it shouldn't be a problem.
below is 3 patterns from just Woodys that have studs in center or near the very center.

Attachments

• studs.jpg
    studs.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 778
Theres no reason not to stud the center of the track when your going for maximum scratch lines. Thats NOT the fault of the owner for studding. The clearance ought to be sufficent to do so. Looks like there are issues in putting them there with this susp. Mike Knapp #17

BA APEX said:
jds1000 said:
All the stud templates leave this space , so obviously you didn't use one. I'm not saying that this is your fault, I'm just saying that if you would have kept the studs out of the exact center of the track you wouldn't have this problem. I don't think that the track should rub against the shock but if it does it shouldn't rub through it.

I did read post of this happening before i studded and told the guy that studded my track(he laid out the pattern). he said it looked like it shouldn't be a problem.
below is 3 patterns from just Woodys that have studs in center or near the very center.
You should of used the trail stud pattern, that's the old template I believe. How many studs do you have?

I agree with QCRider and I also have been studding tracks for 20 years and have always had picks in the middle with no problems. Almost every pattern I have every seen uses studs down the middle. The template we use has it set so you can use the double backer right in the center.

stinx said:
I just looked at the shock in my attak. I cant see how the track could rub.Along the side of the shock there are two big nylon wear pads that sit higher than the top of the shock. I would think these pads would wear first. Did your pads have any marks on them?
Does anyone know if the 121 inchers have these pads?

Rotax! said:
You should of used the trail stud pattern, that's the old template I believe. How many studs do you have?
I have 144 studs. It's a 168 pattern without the 24 on the outside. A friend that has his own shop studs most his customers with this pattern. But he is a Doo guy, so 95% he does is Ski-doo.
ALSO I used the angled backers, so the back of the stud doesn't look like it sits as flush to the track as it should. but still, I have had several sleds and never seen the track hit the shock.

The 121" sleds don't have the same pads that the Attak has as they have the idler wheels on this shaft on the 121" sleds.

MightyWarrior said:
stinx said:
Does anyone know if the 121 inchers have these pads?

It does on the '05 RX Mono RA.

The pads on the short track 121" monoshock are on the front arm only. The 136" monoshock has pads on both the front and rear arm.

Attachments

• Attak.jpg
    Attak.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 601

Back