• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mono shock damage / rubbing track --PICS--

2nd shock

Well I have put 600 miles on the new shock. first shock had about 200 miles. look at first post on page #1.

I took out all the studs that were directly down the center before i installed the second shock, so no studs would hit it.
The new shock was installed with a big boy spring on it.
seasons over so I took out shock just to check it out. sure enough the shock was rubbed by track and now has a flat spot. also there are several chunks taken out of track on the inside, about the size of a dime.
-- PICS BELOW --
track has been checked several times for correct tension. will take to my dealer and have them send pics of this second shock.
first shock damage, yamaha said it was from bottoming out. big boy spring was on second shock so I wonder what they will say now.??

Attachments

• trackrub22.jpg
    trackrub22.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 215
  • trackrub11.jpg
    trackrub11.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 184
  • shock3.jpg
    shock3.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 204
  • shock1.jpg
    shock1.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 208
  • rtx1.jpg
    rtx1.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 199

Ba, Looks exactly like my track. We talked about this before, and would be interested to see what they have to say about it. I was given the same bs about the track tension. I haven't inspected mine lately but will take alook at it today. Yamaha took the easy way out and said because it was studded there was nothing they would do.

06RTXRider said:
Ba, Looks exactly like my track. We talked about this before, and would be interested to see what they have to say about it. I was given the same bs about the track tension. I haven't inspected mine lately but will take alook at it today. Yamaha took the easy way out and said because it was studded there was nothing they would do.
yea, thing is most people wouldn't even realize that their shock in being worn down. they may see a little rubbing on the track but think its no big deal. but a yr or 2 out of warranty their track goes bad and then its too late for yamaha to replace for free.
i think when my track finaly gets bad, i may put in a 128 extension, it will help with ice hookup & maybe pull track farther fron shock.?.

JONMIG said:
QCRider said:
Bossman said:
Could the support pads from the Attak be used on the Apex?

GREAT Question!! I asked yesterday on the RX Forum and have to see and answer...
I also agree, great question! Can anybody confirm this? Thanks John

Has anyone looked into this yet?

I just got back from a 700 mile trip last night. I am going out to unload now that it's thawed out. I left on this trip with all new suspension (06 on my 05) and a new track but not a new shock.

I just want to know if those attack pads can be put on the RX.

SNOWDOG said:
JONMIG said:
QCRider said:
Bossman said:
Could the support pads from the Attak be used on the Apex?

GREAT Question!! I asked yesterday on the RX Forum and have to see and answer...
I also agree, great question! Can anybody confirm this? Thanks John

Has anyone looked into this yet?

I just got back from a 700 mile trip last night. I am going out to unload now that it's thawed out. I left on this trip with all new suspension (06 on my 05) and a new track but not a new shock.

I just want to know if those attack pads can be put on the RX.
looked into this as an option but the rear skid in the attack is not the same, would not work.

track wear

I have to admit right away that I don't know much about the new skid.I think I might have an idea about what is going on based on what has been happening to another brand. I have an 03 RX1 with a Cat skid from an 05 Pantera. There have been problems with Cat skids with the Torque sensing link destroying tracks. The problem has been traced to a problem with the rear to front coupling of the rear scissors. Old ZR's had a shaft in front of the lower part of the rear scissors that limited the forward movement. This stopped the track from coming into contact with the upper torque sensing links. The newest models with this suspension replace the original shaft between the rails with 2 little aluminum stops. The stops are too soft and soon crush. This allows the lower arm to move a couple of mm. further forward. Thats all it takes to get the links in contact with the track and destroy it. The cure in this case is to replace the aluminum nubs with the old shaft. Since some sleds are completely free of damage, I suspect it is something wrong in the setup. Some sleds seem to have 1/2 inch clearance between the shockeye and track while other have none. I suspect that by either pulling up the limiter straps or adjusting that turnbuckle thing between the arms will reestablish the proper clearance. I hope this helps someone.

I have studded my vector with the 121" and mono shock right down the center and have had no wear at all on track or shock after 1600 miles. Could it be you have a loose stud(s). My studs actually demple the rubber I have found a couple of loose ones after a few short rides when I first installed them and had to tightened them up

showed my dealer the rubbing on the shock. he said YAMAHA told them the problem was because of running the track too loose.
If anything my track was a hair tight. I checked it every ride.

I ran my apex track as loose as possible and had no trouble for 4500k.I inspected for track dammage after almost every ride. When I adjusted it closer to spec (wanted to see if it slowed down due to this)and ran the sled for 1 day I found track dammage after I thawed the machine out and looked. I do not run picks on this sled.

And yes it did slow down but the track howl got less.

Does any of this apply to the 07 RTX ER'S ?
Should i get a 4th wheel kit for my 07 RTX.
4th Wheel in the back or on the outside near the front or back?
I do plan on studding it.Or should i even bother with all these problems?
Sorry for all the questions.I only have 160 kms on the sled and i do see some minor rubbing in the middle of the track,but it was racheting like crazy when i took it on it's first ride,then i took some slack out of the track.

Attachments

• IMG_1204.jpg
    IMG_1204.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_1206.jpg
    IMG_1206.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_1201.jpg
    IMG_1201.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_1203.jpg
    IMG_1203.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 181
This must be a common problem because Ive seen somewhere, cant remember right now where but they sell bearings and a differnt bolt to put at the top of your shock so that wont happen.

:die ========================= LaLaLa -------------------- :nos

I don't think it's an issue with the 07's as they are using a different rear skid. Did not hear of any problems with the nytro last year. I think it is a problem for the mono only.

My question is does this anti rub kit slow your scooter down any on top end,radar runs that kind of thing..

Back