• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mono shock damage / rubbing track --PICS--

I'm planning on fabricating some type of nylon or Hyfax material protector for this issue. I'll most likely get it done by the middle of next week. When I do I'll post some pics as well as a test report.

:4STroke: :Rockon:

i went to dealer about this on 121 skid and 8 out of 10 06 and 05 were rubbing , studs should not rub there , brand new ones with no studs by the way at the dealer

I was wondering if perhaps a 4th. wheel on the rear x may help hold the track flatter to prevent track sag, :itchy: which would contribute to the rub.
I have a Apex Gt and no wear apparent. Only have 85 miles so far. I also weigh 250+ but no problem with bottoming.

Track rub-track tension?

I only have 140 miles on my ER and took a look at the track, idler wheels and track tension just to see if anything is noticable at this mileage. The miles were put on ridng on a lake so I didn't do much hard turning-all wheels look good at this point. I do have a 4th wheel kit, no studs.

Noticed some rub marks in the center of the track-showing signs that it must be making contact with the shock. Nothing serious at this point.

There looks like a good 1/2" of clearance between the track and the shock(rear of shock).

I've read where some say it may rub due to a tight track, but before I rode the sled, I adjusted it to about 1-1/2" at the 22lb pressure on the track. Checked track tension-track stretched in those first 140 miles. Adjusted back to the 1-1/2"(had sled on the trailer so I wasn't able to verify that this measurement is at 22lbs. of pressure).

(Is there a tool available to use to push down on the track to the required force, rather than pulling down from under the track-as access is not possible when on my trailer?)

So could the rubbing be from a "loose" track? Has anyone found out what the solution is to avoid the track rubbing the shock? Wish they had those nylon/plastic sliders like the Attak!

Just my 2 cents guys. :ORC But it looks like thoes studs are screw in type. You should be using the push through type stud. They will seat in the track better and not hit the shock or chew up ideler wheels.

Just looked at my rtx for the first time. No or very little shock wear, but a few chunks of rubber missing from inside of track. 144 woodys with 48 reg and 48 double backers, none in the direct center of the track. gotta be the weight and tight clearance. i think the larger wheel concept maybe the ticket??? please keep me informed

is it possible to wrap the end of shock with some material as a wear pad? The end of the shock is very square and chunked out the track

Tighter track, less clearance?

I went and adjusted my track tension on my Apex ER and it appears that when it is set to Yamaha's specs, the track is closer to the shock/shock mount than when the track is loose.

As my sled is on my trailer, I couldn't pull the recommended 22lbs. to get an accurate measurement, so my track is probably a bit more loose than the spec, but with moderate pressure pushing down on the track, I have 1-1/2" between the track and hyfax. With this, I have maybe a 1/4" clearance between the shock & track now.

Figure the track will still stretch out as I only have 140 miles so far.

I'm not going to worry about it too much, but would like to avoid track damage.

I checked mine after unloading the rear suspension but not lifting it totally off the ground. While in this position it looks like there is 1/4" max clearance between the track and the shock. I'm not sure how tight my track is at this time as i put 200 mi. on it since it was last in the shop. My assumption is the weight of the studs causes the track to contact the shock while the suspension is unloading (going over large bump, becoming airborne, etc) The shock is the only thing that could gouge the track in this area. Not sure why tolerance is different with other sleds unless it changes with the sag in the susp. or track tension. Maybe a tighter track would slap less???

Regarding the wear on the topside of the shock. I don't have a pic yet, but my main shock is worn too, same as BA Apex. I took my suspension out to look at it because of all the problems with the 05 mono skid. I have 1 minor crack, all bushings destroyed, aluminum inserts destroyed, 2000 miles, not aggressive rider. There is markings on the underneath of track where the shock is obviously hitting. My track is adjusted properly, no idea why the wear in track and shock. Any answers. My dealer has none.

Sierra - that is normal for these skids - not saying that is good - but keep after your dealer and Yamaha - they should replace all of it.

Mono skid track rubbing on the shock

I was told by a Yamaha Rep to keep the track adjusted within the specs per the manual. Seems they feel it is tracks that are adjusted out of the specs are the ones that rub on the shock.

Just passing on what I was told.

Just a thought but could it be from the track being too loose??? Thus causing it to hang down and scrape??? Not sure, I have a 2006 Vector GT and i Checked mine, and not a single mark on it.....

track rub continues

Well, have 1300 miles on my Apex ER and noticed trakc is rubbing, and put small holes in the track where it rubs, like something is poking it.

Guess I will take the sled to the dealer to get it documented. Never had a sled with so few miles, and have this much wear and it's on the inside!!!

Back