• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

More PB-80 Testing

woodysattak

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 RTX LE
Well found a little snow along the treeline. Temps were good mid teens and snow was very hard. Current setup is 500/1300 primary 106 grams per puck. Secondary setup is 41/35 with dalton BO wrapped at 6/1. This setup is very good pulls very hard with really good throttle response. I was only able to run about 600 ft. It came out of the hole about 8400 and 8650 at end of 600. Skis were in the air for a long time. Very impressed so far. Primary was a little hot so I think it will never run as cool as I can get with the yammie primary. Very smooth upshift. Next ran the HH setup with 1/4 in heel 3/8 aluminum mid and 3/8 steel with thick washer tip, orange tp primary spring secondary 39/33 helix BO wrapped at 6/2. This setup worked very good also and primary was only warm to touch. It pulled very hard also had a little overrev to about 8600 dropped to 8300 and climbed to about 8600 at 600 ft. Pulled very strong also holding the skis for quite a ways. Throttle response was very good not quite as good as the PB-80 though. Next setup was Dalton 66 weights with Black/ Blue primary 37/35 helix with BO wrapped at 6/2. This setup came out of the hole about 8900 fell to about 8600 and climbed to 8700. Throttle response was not near as good as other two setups. I know its hard to judge seat of pants performance but this setup did not pull nowhere near as hard. It did not hold the skis even close to the other setups. Tried the gates 4313 and the timken xs 825. The setups performed better with the gates belt pulled alot harder. The 825 belt dropped the rpms about 250 and just didnt seem as good. Even if I adjusted to get the rpms up I don't think it pull as hard. I am going to use the gates 4313. Even if it only lasts 400 miles I dont mind putting a new belt on every 300/400 miles. I really like the steeper helixes they accelerate much harder instead of revving and staying in a lower gear to long. I have tried the reverse helixes and they don't come close to pulling and accelerating as hard as the steeper helixes. And my throttle response is just as good if not better. I know people may not agree but this is what works with my setup. The PB-80 may be very good. If anybody is interested will be selling my Dalton weights 66 QAY and 70 QAY . Only used for testing. 160.00 per set includes shipping . Thanks everybody. I know a few guys we curious about the PB-80 so far very impressed. Will have to see if the belt holds up with the primary running a little hot.

Sounds like you need weight in primary, slipping,what is the motor/tunes rpm supposed to be?curious

The PB-80 does not grip the belt down low as good. You can't add weight just to increase grip at low end. If you add weight it effects the whole shift. And I am just barely pulling the rpms needed right now. On my doo 1200 the primary was always hot but the belt lasted fine. This is stock tune. It seems to run really good at 8400 out of hole and about 87-8750 on top.

Your options are either put in a higher rated secondary spring or helix with a lower start angle, assuming that your happy with your 8750 top rpm.

The secondary is not the problem with the PB-80 it doesn't grab the belt hard enough down low. I tested with lower angle helixes and more weight in primary and it made it hotter and also stiffer secondary spring made it hotter. The higher I went with the helix angle and less secondary spring the cooler the primary ran. I am running just enough secondary pressure to keep the secondary from slipping. The primary is hot but not smoking hot. A lot of guys had trouble with the heat in the PB-80 on there 1200 doos but the belts still lasted and it was the fastest setup compared to doos stock primary.

Back