• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

mountain tech a-arms reports?

Thanks for the feedback thus far. Fortunately, the winter back east has been a good one because these prototypes were late hitting the snow. The feedback has been great and honest and we are tweaking the arms to get them exactly where they need to be. The nut mentioned above is the nut for the REAR fastening point of the lower A arm. It is located in the forward part of the engine compartment, close to the steering bellcrank (inner tie rod ends) assembly. Welding the nut in place (like Yamaha did for the upper A arm) would make things easier, but I made a special long wrench to reach them. Pretty good at it now, having done it dozens of times! A telescopic magnet helps as well.

rrxx-1 said:
iwillwait4u said:
Besides Grizz anybody else testing arms with a 08 nitro?

Please read this thread from the start.

Sorry I should of explained myself better. I am not sure this applys to these arms but this is my question? This is what Grizz posted he found out about 08 nitro front ends. I copied the link below.

Hygear says the zero index on the cam is the stock caster setting for both 08 and 09+ sleds which can't be true. I don't remember the actual caster angle because I was more interested in the difference between stock and the slicast arms. I also didn't spend a lot of time getting accurate measurements because the cam could be rotated further to add more caster if needed. However, I'm not sure if there was enough indexing to add the 4 degrees to match the 09+ geometry. With the changes in the lower a-arms and spindles, I don't know why they would think the new geometry upper a-arms would work one the stock 08's. They obviously discovered that the Slicast arms are to short for the 08 so they added 6 washers to shim the ball joint out as far as possible but it still came up short and all those washers look cheap. I was disappointment and frustrated with what I was seeing so I pulled them and reinstalled the stock arms. The arms are on there way back and I'm sure Hygear will take more accurate measurements.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... m&start=15

Duh! Here I was thinking you were welding the nuts that were on the a arms...not the subframe. Yeah, that would make things alot easier. I double wrench (attaching two wrenches together) to access the rear nut of the lower a arm.

Iwillwait. That's the hygear arms. The mountain tech are totally different. These move the spindle 2" forward have seperate camber and castor adjustment aswell. It replaces both upper and lower arms.

Hygear is an adjustable upper arm for stock front end.

The differance in the 08 an 09 are the spindles. Which the mtn tech arms can change the castor and camber to make that not significant. The 08 from what I remember has a different upper cross shaft. I can't tell u much more in that as I am not positive. So not sure which question your asking but those are the answers I have.

I installed the mountain tech a arms on my 08 nytro with 08 nytro spindles. Every thing works great, mountain tech supplies all hardware needed, except a arm bushings, and on the 08s you will need to order the 09 and later upper a arm collars. On the collars look for used ones they are much cheaper. Yamaha wants $35 a side for them, lol.

The differences between the 08 and 09+ front ends are spindles, tie rods and upper and lower a-arms. The 09+ Nytros have shorter a-arms and tie rods than the 08's. Running Hygear's upper a-arm with a 08 lower a-arm limits the camber adjustment. The Slicast arms will work fine with the 09+ lower a-arm and allows for plenty of camber and caster adjustment.

The Mountaintech arms allow for caster and camber adjustment and can be installed using the 08 or 09+ spindles. The skis are moved forward 2" from the stock position and the spindle height is increased with a spacer which reduces bump steer. I've been testing an early version of the trail a-arms and discovered a few issues which Mountaintech has addressed. At this point I can't comment on performance but after I made a few modification to the arms they started showing some promise. With the needed changes made the Mountaintech arms should handle the trails very well and be an improvement over stock. I'm currently waiting for a revised set of upper a-arms and will continue to test them although it looks like I'll need to wait until next season.

Just wondering if anyone had any problems getting the cross shafts in the a arms after pressing the bushings in ? Not sure what to do they are fitting pretty tight..:o| I might need to get the reamer out.
Any thoughts?

I had issues with the oil lites being to tight and ended up pulling them and using pioneer nylatron bushings( no longer in business). Anyway what I believe was the real issue the a arms had over spray inside them causing the oil lites to be slightly compressed. I cleaned them and inserted the nylatron bushings and no issues with cross shaft. I will say I put the cross shaft thru the bushing on one side and pushed the shaft out to the otherside and aligned the bushing on opposite side on cross shaft then pressed bushing on. Otherwise could'nt get shaft to align properly and go thru both at the same time.

Pete

It is obviously an issue with the oillite bushings, seriously, you think that a little powdercoat overspray is going to squeeze the oilite bushing to the point that it will reduce the size of the inside. Take some emery paper to the cross shaft and clean it up so it looks new, and then it will slide right in. I ran into this issue when I was putting some oillites into my stock arms. Trust me, it doesn't take much to get them to go.

Thanks for the input guys, I was just a little worried because when I put oil lite in the stock a arm they weren't that tight . Peter told me not to worry just press them in and they will work in ,in know time .in just like my suspension loose right from the get go .

Back