• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

MPI controller issues??

tko47

Extreme
I installed a stage 2 kit on an 07 Apex, first I want to say I did a stage 1 RX-1 a couple of years ago and it ran perfectly I loved it no trouble. this one has been a nightmare, I am at 1000' and MPI does not have definate settings for the GEM controller at this altitude, first it wouldn't run at slow speed cutting out because of the TORS even when you jumped out the switch , the sled doesn't have the power my stage 1 will wail on the Apex, so I lowered the altitude comp setting a couple of points took care of the low end cutting out, but now I rode it and it still didn't have the power but seemed to be getting better so I got her on a long straightaway and when I hit about 110 it cut out I thought I snuffed it but I think it just cut the fuel off? my AFR's are in the zone. now it runs and won't rev over 7000rpm, went into diag's to check codes etc. and I know you can't clear the codes with the controller hooked up so I put it back to stock and everything checked out, like the throttle angle on diag-1 was in spec 16 when closed and 96 wide open , hooked the GEM back up 0 closed 29 wide open ??????????? It's been misery from day 1

re

some specs : MPI stage II, running 15 psi, had the engine built by 2K powersports- Falicon supercrank, Falicon knife rods , JE 10:1 pistons, burning Renegade or Sunoco 110

I feel your pain as well. Just got done putting throttle bodies back on for the 3rd time, It wont happen again strapped them good. Worst thing is i have been smelling fumes for 300 miles finally checked out throttle bodies. I have been driving it for this long wow do I ever feel stupid but should haul tommorow like a train.

did your throttle bodies come off the engine I never checked that however I don't smell fuel, my intercooler blew off about 10 times till I got the alignment perfect and sprayed hairspray on the tubes

well I had the throttle bodies blow off after like 90 miles.. so I got the throttle bodies glued on.. and then a vortech B.O.V installed.. and I have 400 hard miles on in 2 weeks.. and its ran like a CHAMP!! happy!! 12 PSI on stage 2 at 1200 feet.. and I have the mode settings for mpi cont. so itll run happy!

Oh and to stop the intercooler from blowing off.. install a Blow off valve and strap that bad boy down

attakstage2

re: BOV

where do you get Vortex bov, probably should get one however MPI does not seem to believe in them?

turboaddictionparts.com

These guys are awsome!! Ted Jannetty owns it who is on this sight

glued everything back together. made clips strapped everything down went to 1-6-5.5-5.5-3-6 , on the gem, measured out 1000' 129 on the speedo and didn't walk home, smiled all day now all those bleeding knuckles and bad language have been forgotten. running 15 psi , at 900' 0 degrees today. one thing it is lean 15.5-16 idling and I can't adjust that out and not when I start it cold it is 13 but goes up when warm??

Glad to hear its pulling for you. I also had great results after finding my throttle bodies had come off. I have 82grams and it still just bounces the limiter a little. All the cusin payed off

If you guys are blowing the TB's off there are a few things you can do to get rid of the problem. First is to clean the boots really well with Brake cleaner. The factory parts have a silicone coating on them that is really slippery. Rough up the ends of the TB's with 80 grit sand paper, remove the 6.35mm spacers from the factory clamps and replace each with 3 small washers. Finally, apply a small bead of Permatex silicone adhesive to the inside groove of the factory boot then re-assemble.

I cleaned the boots good , and I used hairspray (maximum hold) and ground the clamp bushing to half the size, and made straps that bolt to the delta box and put a stiff tarp strap over the cooler about under the headlight its tight ,so I hope that holds.

Back