• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

my clutch setup (dalton)

Joe ltx-le

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 sidewinder ltx-dx
Last year I was having a lot of clutch issues.
I blew 7 belts and the clutches just never felt right. Terrible shift and just not fast.
I'm trying to make a setup that is cheap but effective on a stock sidewinder.

The setup I'm using now is the ultimax xs belt with Dalton reverse angle 33/35 helix with a black orange spring. Stock primary.

This setup proved fantastic. Way better mid range pull. The brand new 850 renegade didn't come close.
over 600 miles on the xs belt and no dust. Big change from last year. The clutches ran very cool.
I'm still having top end issues (114) but that's coming.
Next I will try a new primary spring from Dalton. Ultimately I want this setup to use the stock weights to keep it price affective.

Last edited:

Why a dual angle helix and not a compound ??

Why a dual angle helix and not a compound ??
This is all testing and I'm up for trying anything . The reason I went rev angle is because I was happy with top end revs 8300 sh but felt the mid low range needed to rev higher quicker.

Remember I am no clutch expert but I'm trying to get a grasp on it.

Any input would be great.

But you stated it was a Dual angle ,If its from TP it's most likely a compound .

The helix I've purchased and tested from dalton industries is advertised as a reverse 33/35. Not a dual angle. Sorry your right.

Reactions: krm
Last year I was having a lot of clutch issues.
I blew 7 belts and the clutches just never felt right. Terrible shift and just not fast.
I'm trying to make a setup that is cheap but effective on a stock sidewinder.

The setup I'm using now is the ultimax xs belt with Dalton reverse angle 33/35 helix with a black orange spring. Stock primary.

This setup proved fantastic. Way better mid range pull. The brand new 850 renegade didn't come close.
over 600 miles on the xs belt and no dust. Big change from last year. The clutches ran very cool.
I'm still having top end issues (114) but that's coming.
Next I will try a new primary spring from Dalton. Ultimately I want this setup to use the stock weights to keep it price affective.[/QUOT

I wish I had those top end issues... I have only hit 104 on a slight down hill too... Dealer says he can't find any issues.. Guess I just got a turd.... My luck,very frustrating

Check all your hoses, mine as well as many others had loose clamps and hoses not seated properly. Follow the hoses from your turbo through your inter cooler right up to the intake and throttle bodies. Don't trust your dealer, check yourself.

This is all testing and I'm up for trying anything . The reason I went rev angle is because I was happy with top end revs 8300 sh but felt the mid low range needed to rev higher quicker.

Remember I am no clutch expert but I'm trying to get a grasp on it.

Any input would be great.
Peak power is 8800 on a stocker. You need to get your top end revs up from 8800.

Update.

1600 miles this year same belt.
I've been very happy with this clutching with stock tune.
My findings are that running at 3-3 the clutches run cool but lack top end. I've changed the secondary to 6-1 and I get a lot more speed but clutches are much warmer. Not hot though.

Attachments

• IMG_6472.JPG
    IMG_6472.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_6476.JPG
    IMG_6476.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 177
Dalton recommends that spring be wound 6-1

I have the same set up as you, except I’m using stock belt. Have 417 miles on my new 18. Great low and mid range as you stated.
I have mine set at 3-3 too. I’ve noticed my RPM’s on top are in the 8500-8600 range. A few times towards the end of my trip, she was climbing up towards 8700. But mostly 8500-8600. Though Seems as the miles increased, so did the RPM’s on top.

So, Should I change the setting to 6-1 to possibly increase the RPM’s/top
End speed?? My clutches were nice and cool too. I’m afraid if I go to 6-1 and the heat increases, I may run into problems??? Joe did your revs increase on top? They must have if you are seeing more top End. You state that they were warm, but not hot..were you able to keep your hands on them?

6 on the Helix, and 1 on the sheave correct.

Last edited:
Dale recommends 6/1 for his B/O.

This is equal to 3/3 on a stock spring "torsionally".

For a stock engine, the reverse angle helix and B/O work well to help with snap, and more low rpms to spool. I ran mine bone stock for 300 miles, not any issues....then tested the 33/35 reverse angle helix with TP orange at 3/3 and it was more snappy on trail, and was fine at stock HP. But dont use this when turned up IMO, my new(ish) ultimax snapped instantly with the massive early spool Hurricane tune.

Anyone looking for 33/35 I have a used one.

Dan

Dale recommends 6/1 for his B/O.

This is equal to 3/3 on a stock spring "torsionally".

For a stock engine, the reverse angle helix and B/O work well to help with snap, and more low rpms to spool. I ran mine bone stock for 300 miles, not any issues....then tested the 33/35 reverse angle helix with TP orange at 3/3 and it was more snappy on trail, and was fine at stock HP. But dont use this when turned up IMO, my new(ish) ultimax snapped instantly with the massive early spool Hurricane tune.

Anyone looking for 33/35 I have a used one.

Dan
What should I use ? I've got TD powertrail tune with dalton weights, was wanting to try the 33/35 with orange black spring. But Dan ur saying don't bother ?? I blew one belt at 400 miles, now I'm at 1000 and cringe every time I hit the throttle:(
I believe it's the 8 Jp and ya black starting to come out the clutch vents. I'm so scared of blowing another belt, never blew a blelt like on a SW so violent!

Running same secondary spring at 3-3 plenty of top end, more heat=less efficient, going to 6-1 helps out the hold but finish rate still same. 3_3 with black orange is same 60 degree as 3_3 stock spring. If you go 6_1 go back to stock helix else spin and be bumping rev limiter off line. Sidewinder don't need 33 start for trail, it's got plenty low end go power

Running same secondary spring at 3-3 plenty of top end, more heat=less efficient, going to 6-1 helps out the hold but finish rate still same. 3_3 with black orange is same 60 degree as 3_3 stock spring. If you go 6_1 go back to stock helix else spin and be bumping rev limiter off line. Sidewinder don't need 33 start for trail, it's got plenty low end go power
I'm no where close to rev limiter. My machine loves the 33 start at 6-1.

Back