• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Need serious help!!

Gear oil was Mobil 1 75W90. Nothing was put together wrong. Between my sleds and others that I work on, have done this 20 times or more. Also, tensioner wheel bolt is welded, so that is not a factor. I'm totally stumped.
Maybe the magnets had crud behind them forcing them out to far?

My only guess is that somehow the magnets came out of the cap. I never took the chaincase gears out this year. Took the cover off, drained the fluid, inspected things visually and put the cover back on. I split the brake caliper, took the brake caliper off, took the seal off the brake bearing, cleaned it, and put in new grease. Put the brake caliper back together. I freaked out all the way home thinking I didn't put the snap ring back in the brake side, but got home and looked, and sure enough it was there. So my plan is, I put my buddies magnet cap in, ordered a new cover, and gonna put it back together. Ride it for a little bit and tear it apart again, and inspect the inside of the cover. It's not very reassuring cuz I can't find WTF is wrong. Would you all just change the entire drive shaft? I have time to think about it til the cover comes.

IDK Mr. Sled. I must admit that when I had the chaincase cover off in the fall, I never looked at the magnets, but having said that, I have never looked at the magnets.

Did you do any pounding on the end of the driveshaft for any reason at all when removing the the brake caliper?

Somthing in the oil caused the rubber to soften and loose the magnets and go round and round wearing thru the cover?

What oil was used? Was oil contaminated from new or mislabeled possibly?

Or like Mr Sled said, something put together wrong. The part that is weird is the fact that the magnets are gone and have eaten thru the cover, and the fact that the rubber is soft and mushy too.

If both snap rings are in place on the brake side and driveline sprocket side, things cant move. Only way for things to move is for a bearing to go out, or a circlip or snapping to come off.

IDK Mr. Sled. I must admit that when I had the chaincase cover off in the fall, I never looked at the magnets, but having said that, I have never looked at the magnets.
I know they do wear into the case cover and would think if they are really hard magnets in time could wear thru a thin cover. But would think it would have have a pile of miles on to do that. It really really strange for sure.

Did you clean the magnets and chain when apart last time?
The metal particles built up on magnets had worn thru cover.
Remove both chains and clean good in solvet when doing service.

Somthing in the oil caused the rubber to soften and loose the magnets and go round and round wearing thru the cover?

What oil was used? Was oil contaminated from new or mislabeled possibly?

Or like Mr Sled said, something put together wrong. The part that is weird is the fact that the magnets are gone and have eaten thru the cover, and the fact that the rubber is soft and mushy too.

If both snap rings are in place on the brake side and driveline sprocket side, things cant move. Only way for things to move is for a bearing to go out, or a circlip or snapping to come off.
Rubber was super soft. Could squeeze it together with no problem at all, compared to the new one I put in last night, it was hard like a hockey puck. Right now we are going with something in the oil softened the rubber. The gear oil bottle has been open since last summer. Both snap rings are in place, one as you can see from my picture on the gear, and the one on the brake is in place. Driveshaft doesn't move at all side to side. It was f'ed up to see 4 magnets on my foot board when we stopped.

Did you clean the magnets and chain when apart last time?
The metal particles built up on magnets had worn thru cover.
Remove both chains and clean good in solvet when doing service.
I did not clean the magnet or gears. Took cover off, put cover on. I will pay close attention from now on to the magnets. Only new oil is going in from now on. Gonna use Amsoil gear oil. Anybody know what viscosity it is. Doesn't say on the bottle.

What I don't like about gear oils is the smell of it when it heats up and vents. I wonder if it also softened the rubber magnet holder?

I only use Polaris Synthetic chain case oil on all the machines thru my garage. It is I believe one of the best with extremely low chain wear, has no bad smells when it heats up, and its blue, which is nice when looking for leaks. I've just always had the best luck with it so I stick with it, although its expensive, buying in bulk brings the price down.

I did not clean the magnet or gears. Took cover off, put cover on. I will pay close attention from now on to the magnets. Only new oil is going in from now on. Gonna use Amsoil gear oil. Anybody know what viscosity it is. Doesn't say on the bottle.
Don't forget to clean the magnet up on the shift fork mechanism.

Back