• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2020 SRX Sidewinder

glenngy

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
viper
I have 1600 miles on my winder, was serviced by dealer for first oil change and chaincase inspection. limited use last yr. maybe 400 miles, been sitting in my shop all yr. yesterday I noticed a puddle of oil under sled, clearly a leak somewhere chain side. Why all of a sudden ? where are possible leak points? black gasket maker stuff on front side of resevoir none visible on back side. is it gasket maker or is there one of those rubber gaskets in a channel? not a mechanic just a guy with a sled. any help is appreciated. Thanks

I would guess that rollover froze and popped the oil tank seal. Mine popped last year and I removed and resealed and took off rollover and bypassed it.

The is an engine oil tank there, and then there is the chain case tank behind the engine oil tank. If you can figure out which kind of oil is on the ground, it will halo narrow down the fix. However, these sleds seem to spring leaks from that area in the off season, then are good again in winter when everything shrinks, so that might be your issue as well. I would try and catch what is leaking and find out which kind of oil it is and go from there. There is also the possibility that the dealer spilled a bit of oil while filling the tanks and it just found its way to your floor (depending on the size of puddle lol)

I would guess that rollover froze and popped the oil tank seal. Mine popped last year and I removed and resealed and took off rollover and bypassed it.
how would it freeze ? last ride was march, notice small wet spot on garage floor after I moved it in August, nothing before that, and now today a 6 inch ring of oil on the floor. only stored in heated shop and trailered enclosed.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20211121_194426.jpg
    thumbnail_20211121_194426.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 227
The is an engine oil tank there, and then there is the chain case tank behind the engine oil tank. If you can figure out which kind of oil is on the ground, it will halo narrow down the fix. However, these sleds seem to spring leaks from that area in the off season, then are good again in winter when everything shrinks, so that might be your issue as well. I would try and catch what is leaking and find out which kind of oil it is and go from there. There is also the possibility that the dealer spilled a bit of oil while filling the tanks and it just found its way to your floor (depending on the size of puddle lol)
Thank you, seems to be engine oil (smell test) sight glass for chaincase is good and oil level on sight tube is full

check cooling hoses, sometimes they loosen up and leak. Tighten hose clamps. Check under chain case/ oil tank and see if oil is dripping...you can run your finger under the tanks and see if oil is leaking...paper towel would work well too. Joe

It's just a poor design. There is no gasket there(but should be), just sealant. Roll over valve doesn't have to freeze for this to start leaking.
Just remove the oil tank, clean everything very thoroughly, and apply new liquid gasket.
Quite a few threads about this.

Thank you, seems to be engine oil (smell test) sight glass for chaincase is good and oil level on sight tube is full
The best advise is to get the Barn Of Parts oil tank gasket and be done with it leaking, you'll have peace of mind..I think they are $30-$40...small investment.

The best advise is to get the Barn Of Parts oil tank gasket and be done with it leaking, you'll have peace of mind..I think they are $30-$40...small investment.
Yes. And the gasket is probably a easier fix then using stuff in a tube for the average guy.

If it is the oil tank seal - you will be in fine company. Dont take it personal - all the oil tank seals give up. I had to replace mine after its first season. And - i had to redo it again this fall. (I thought i do a great job the first time… don’t know what happened). BTW - i have bypassed the roll over since day 1. I do think these tanks are exposed to significant hot cold cycles and eventually with all the expansion the seal begins to weep.

I would look into the BOP gasket if i were to do it again.
S

how would it freeze ? last ride was march, notice small wet spot on garage floor after I moved it in August, nothing before that, and now today a 6 inch ring of oil on the floor. only stored in heated shop and trailered enclosed.
Pm me i have a spare gasket from bop that i could sell

Maybe, just maybe Yamaha is getting sick and tired of hearing about the oil leak and perhaps next year this slow turning ship at Yamaha corporate will actually put a real gasket on the 2023 models. Just going to throw this out there but how long has this problem been going on? A few years maybe? So some of the criticism on here about lack of problem solving is founded. It's such a small fix and allot of people who buy these expensive machine feel like they bought junk when the oil puddle under their sled shows up...for myself its happened too many times already. I'm not changing brands because of it but it's still not being addressed properly by Yamaha. I've had my sled in the shop for 77 days until they were able to stop the leak, the trained Yamaha tech's went through 4 different oil tank covers till they got it to stop leaking, this year more oil under the sled although this time I was told it was coolant..whatever..rediculous but true. My Sidewinder is a pure joy to ride but with oil leak problems I can see why people move on and try another brand...just saying...Joe

It's just a poor design. There is no gasket there(but should be), just sealant
Design is OK. All auto manufactures use the same design on a pile of sealing surfaces. You wont believe how few real gaskets are in todays engines
It's the execution of the sealant application that's the problem. I have seen the same problem in the auto world. The sealant is not applied properly and it leaks.
if it was done correctly to start with, the problem would be non existent.
Cat chain cases aren't the only RTV seals that leak. Go look at a front cover on a Toyota Tacoma. Now that reseal job SUCKS!!!

ok, thnx. so started at top, worked my way down, found this to the left of sight tube, the black #*$&@ is gasket stuff. dealer did last oil change so...
It's just a poor design. There is no gasket there(but should be), just sealant. Roll over valve doesn't have to freeze for this to start leaking.
Just remove the oil tank, clean everything very thoroughly, and apply new liquid gasket.
Quite a few threads about this.
thanks i appreciate the tips

Attachments

• 20211227_180549.jpg
    20211227_180549.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 191
Design is OK. All auto manufactures use the same design on a pile of sealing surfaces. You wont believe how few real gaskets are in todays engines
It's the execution of the sealant application that's the problem. I have seen the same problem in the auto world. The sealant is not applied properly and it leaks.
if it was done correctly to start with, the problem would be non existent.
Cat chain cases aren't the only RTV seals that leak. Go look at a front cover on a Toyota Tacoma. Now that reseal job SUCKS!!!
Come to think of it, yes, I remember changing the timing chains on my ford turbo V6. The front engine cover was like this.
However, the sealing surface area is larger with bolts closer together. Guess I'm of the opinion that a groove that held an 0-ring would be superior.

Back