• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Need to Rebuild motor - Which Piston and Rods should I use?

yamahaman

Pro
Well, I took out a crank bearing on my Phazer and it was my fault. I have a question. I have a turbo on it and I am going to need a new one for sure and, maybe a crank if i cant get it fixed.

If anyone knows of anyone that can fix it, let me know but the question is should i put the high dollar piston and rods in it or just put yamaha parts in? I like the boost at 12 and like running pump gas is this upgrade wore the money are not

Low compression pistons have been on back order since October.
J&E is the only company that builds them And they need a order of 10 sets to put them in to production. Im waiting two more weeks and If I cant get them by then Im just going to have the Carillo rods installed with the stock pistons and continue to run the head shim. According to Dustin at outlaw The pistons in the phazer are pretty good compared to the Apex {Stock vs Stock}. But I shure would like to see them show up.

i am think since i dont get the drain plug tight on the oil tank and it fell out and drained out caused since i got a turbo on it just speed the process up fast i got it home and found the plug and filled it up with oil and ran fine had know problems for like 20 miles and that was it just started to make noise bad and i killed it just got it all apart and i think i can save the crank it not to bad but need some sanding for sure the rods are done for sure there blue and black there a little heat showing on the crank going to have a shop look at and see whats up

Re: head shim

submerged said:
do you need to run the head shim if you are only 12-13 lbs of boost? at what point do you install the the shim?

If you want to run pump gas at 12 to 13 you need the shim. 12 to 13 with no shim your going to need race gas. They recomend premium on a stock motor no boost. Some run 87 though.

I think the guy you bought that sled from Kind of screwed you. He was trying to get rid of it quick and cheap Because he Had blown it up once.

This was the sled on snowest Right?

no it was not i had this sled since new and done all the work and learning the hard way

don't know

Don't know how the motor was smoked. but it is. I need a clutch puller to see what the prob. is. If we smoked the motor, than it happend in the trailer while warming up on its own. Not that that could not happen. I am not trying to point fingers. I tried to get a hold of him to find out if Boondocker put some kind of Limited warranty on the motor since he said it has been out only once since the motor was sent to them to be pulled apart and sleeved. But will not work with me at all.

I warmed the sled up in the trailer @500 feet. That is why I am asking about the head shim. because that is when the motor had its prob. I thought it was a fouled plug because it did not want to run. So I tried to ride the sled around for awhile and warm it up more to heat the plug up. when stoping the motor wanted to die. So we tried to run harder for a pull down the road and that is when we fig. something was not write.

Maybe because the 02 sensor was out and the new one was not sent. I don't know. I fig if that was out it would run the motor rich.

I am not looking for a fight. just Help. these things are a diff. animal than the old 2 smokers

Re: don't know

submerged said:
I warmed the sled up in the trailer @500 feet. That is why I am asking about the head shim. because that is when the motor had its prob.

The sled will not build boost at idle, regardless of what elevation you are at, head shim or no head shim will not matter when at idle with the turbo.

boost.

my controler says it has 4 lbs of boost at idle. That is what he was showing me. I am trying to figure out the control box. I hate it, want to remove and just install a boost gauge that you can read. not a tiny display

besides, that does not rule out smoking a cylinder at idle or just enough throttle to move the sled now does it. could be a number of things I fig. like a stuck valve, or something. have to get motor out to see

Back