• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New 2017 Yamaha Sleds...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry my bad. I shoudve said from the boxy xr (i think thats right) to the xs chassis. I dont want to make this all about doo, but if they would make a sled with that rear end and stretch out the front a little more for a more old school riding position, they would really have something. Now i dont see any reason yamaha cant do the same. If they put half the engineering time into their suspension as they do in their motors/clutches they would be number one again.

To each their own but I think the stand up position is better. There's a lot I like about doo mostly suspension. There's a lot I don't like. They cannot make a decent sounding 4 stroke. Sounds like a cow. But the adjustable skis and suspension is pure genius. Everything can be adjusted by hand. However I thought etec was a reliable motor, and I thought newer doos were reliable. But this year my two doo buddy's who have a 14 and a 15 doo spent as much as I have on my 2011 Apex this year. They are falling apart at 5000 and 10000 k same as my Apex lol so yea. Good and bad.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sorry, Ill try that again. Stain i respect and believe your experience was different, but on a hardpack groomed trail that 1200 pulled easily as hard as my apex. As we swaped sleds many times. Now granted my apex was strectched to a 136 with a cobra track and high yamah windshield, so im sure my topend has lowered, but she still pulls hard. Ive been on a raced some 800 doos and the 1200 pulled just as good. Ill be honest after reading so many post how apexes killed the 1200, i was sure i wasnt going to be impressed with the power, but that thing suprprised up both. Ill still take my 4 banger over it but they are surprisingly close. Maybe the 16's are a little stronger, if you did not ride a new one.
Is he being honest with you? Does he have any of the performance mods done to it such as a Cudney Racing kit? Reason being they wake up quite respectable with that setup, otherwise they aren't that fast stock. Secondly if you stretched your 121 Apex to 136 did you re-gear it like an Attak? Is the clutching stock? The clutching setup on my Attak is a huge increase over stock and so is the Ripsaw II track over the standard Ripsaw. Its all about setup and maintenance, especially your clutches and traction. You have the Cobra track so you are covered on that part but they do scrub some top end.

Great, but I'm sure they will claim it's because of the superior DI 2 stroke fuel economy..... Every Etec rider I ride with claims 20mpg but they are NEVER close to that at the pumps, My Phazer gets the best mileage out of my group and that's only 18-20 mpg, followed oddly enough by a 13' Poo 800 that gets great mileage and an older carbed Vector.

The ETEC 600's in our group get exceptional mileage. On the ride hard days in Michigan both average around 18. On the slower days with the kids, one reported 19.9mpg. We run side by side all the time, an I am generally getting 15mpg on my Apex and the pumps reflect it.

One is a 2012 MXZ-X, another is a 2011 GSX and the latest is a 2015 Renegade. And oil consumption was increased on the 2015 even after the first 1000 miles of break in. Mileage has only increased as he is now rounding out 1600 miles on that new sled.

Last edited:
Yeah I talked to a guy riding a brand new Ski Doo 1200 and he was getting almost the same mpg as I am with my 04 Warrior. You would think since Doo's are sooo much lighter and with modern fuel injection that they would get way better mpg than a old carbed sled. Maybe that motor isn't all its cracked up to be.

The 1200 is not the mileage champ, nor claimed to be. The 600 Ace, 900 Ace and 600 Etec are their mileage machines.

A little off topic but i have to chime in with some of the comments about doos being junk. Now this is just my opinion and experience but here it goes. I have a 07 apex and brother and brother in law have 07,09 doos. I will give a rough estimate of all ive done to my apex and what they've done to theirs. Apex- there is not enough space to list it all but some of the major ones are exhaust gaskets, pilot skis, complete suspension swap, (cat skid), idlers, way too many hyfax, etc. In almost 10 years list for ski-doos- dooleys every few years. Not one burn down. Not one top end job. Now i know the yami engine and clutches are second to none in performance and reliabilty, but should we be letting yamaha off the hook just because of that. Granted those are the two most important pieces of the machine, but what about the rest. They could have done 5 rebuilds with the money i have in mine, yet it was never needed. Brothers rev had over 7500 miles when sold, and engine runs and looks like new, because he took great care of it. I had a f7 before my apex and hrs spent on trail messing with setup with steering or suspension while they waited was in hours. In all these years for them--Zero. Set them when new and forget about it. Im not saying everyone has the same results as ive seen,but if you take care of your machine and dont go modifying motors left and right the doos are incredible at holding up in the long run. The rear suspension is simple and strong. Cant say the same about mine, as i got sick of welding up arms every year. Now i know some of you will say why dont you just go buy a doo, and my answer to that is i just cant get used to sitting so far forward on the sled. Im sure i could get used to it, but i love how my apex just seems to fit just right. With my cat skid the ride is great and with snowtrackers it turns good. I still love my sled , and yamaha, what this post is about is the absurd notion that ski-doo sleds are junk. Listen, they are number one in market share for a reason. We were there once,hopefully can get back, but i highly doubt it. I know on doo talk all you see are problems, but do you realize how many sleds are out there, and how many have very little problems or are not even on chat lines. The brother just picked up a 16 renegade 1200. He only got 300 or so miles in so far in this crappy winter, but ill tell ya, that is one hell of a sled so far. The best riding sled ive personally been on, and it pulls as hard or harder from 0 to 80 than my apex. Still breaking it in so couldnt do a lake run against it yet but believe it will be pretty close. One big downfall is the electronic throttle though. We both hate the disconected feeling you get on and off the throttle. Overall a well make sled though. Ill sum it up this way , as in NFL terms, Im a Packer fan, and that would be like saying the Broncos suck, But look whos holding the lombardi trophy.

Very good points made. But please, they are called paragraph breaks, please try them out. My eyes hurt!

For those new to this thread, maybe some of you missed the latest spy video that was leaked this week. Check it out and see what you can make of it. The link below was posted earlier in this thread and with over 100 pages may have been missed.

I found a link of a video shot in Wisconsin. Isn't that where their "secret" test facility is?

My buddies were out in Hurley, as we all have, and got a chance to ride further south earlier this year. They said they had seen something that sounded different than anything they had heard before. They assumed a 4-stroke of some sort, but it was higher pitched. Sort of like a stock-piped Apex engine.

The reason that this came up again, was when the teaser video came out yesterday, they realized they had a ton of gopro footage that they had not edited down. They saw what looked to be a prototype and the sound of a Yamaha. So they dug through all the footage, and THERE IT WAS!! You have to look at this video, as I think it may be what we are waiting for in the 2017 release.

I dont' know how to embed it, so here goes:

Maybe someone can edit down the good parts and "enhance" it a bit. Then we can all dissect it like the Yamaha teaser.

Good luck!

All Japanese made! The nytro was a very good sled there was just a lot of things you needed to do to make them perform. But if yamaha came out with a new chassis that covered everything the nytro failed at I would buy it for sure
Wow... imaging if you had to buy a car and spend money the same way on it to make it work properly .... nytro chassis was crap .... phazer was a step in the right direction and the Yamaha went backwards. Have just as many km on my pro as I did my nytro (loads more fun) and haven't had to spend anything on it to get it to "perform".

Wow... imaging if you had to buy a car and spend money the same way on it to make it work properly .... nytro chassis was crap .... phazer was a step in the right direction and the Yamaha went backwards. Have just as many km on my pro as I did my nytro (loads more fun) and haven't had to spend anything on it to get it to "perform".
Car or sled, I always modify it to the way I want. No exception. The Nytro is a great sled once it's dialed in. Sure, your 'pro' chassis is better setup from the factory. But now you're stuck with a great chassis and an engine that should be thrown in the garbage. I've seen the 800 popo all modded up get slapped around by a stock Doo. Nobody makes a complete sled

i only modify my sleds to drive and handle nicely because i have to... true, cars we have a lot more choice and an BMW M3 Drives a lot better then a honda civic, but the price range is different also... but for the top end of the price market, the Apex is more like the bottom ... it aint on top yet the price seems to suggest it is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back