• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New 2017 Yamaha Sleds...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seems to me the new 2017 doos & axys is all about hanging off the sled for max racetrack performance throwing the sled around is what those users like most. I am so far away from that type of riding at my age that I can't ID with those features. Sure my 2012 xtx with STs is heavy but it goes where I steer & is glued to the trail. Lighter would be better but I don't want or need to throw the sled around. Imo Yamaha needs to have 2 platforms but not get too far away form Vector & Apex. They can do whatever to Viper just not the sled for me. I hope Yam does not throw out the baby with the bathwater stays true to blue haired smurfs afterall we have the lean green to spend on what we like.

So im curious if they came out with a 180 to 190 hp naturally aspirated motor , how many of you guys would snow check one right now?
This would give yamaha an idea of
the numbers interested in getting one.
If it's competitive with the other brand's top dogs, I most likely would. I have been waiting patiently for a few years to get a new sled. Although the Viper was tempting, the hp and top end just isn't there. And yes it needs to be a 4 stroke.

^X2, also one of my buds would buy, he doesn't like being left in the snow dust...

I would not order one. Current Apex engine produces plenty of power for me. As much as I would love to take something like that for a rip I wouldn't spend the kind of money that sled would cost. A low milage used Apex is the best value in snowmobiling IMO.

If Yamaha were in a different position (all their models are way over due for updates) it would be fun to see what they could build for a current top of the market sled as you describe but what they need is something that appeals to more of the masses. They need to sell thousands of a unit not hundreds.

My guess on their new offering is that the new sled is based off of an updated lighter weight Phazer chassis with a hotter 1049 engine and a more traditional looking front end than the current Phazer and a variable riding position. Updated multi function and color gauges, LED and projector lights. 143hp and weighing 525 lbs great great for ditch, groomed trail, off-trail, and mountain with longer track option.

180 -190 4s hp meaningless to me. My 2o07 Attak was rated at 144 hp had plenty of snort....My current ride 2012 Apex XTX rated at 165 hp & I do use the hp but sled & me both heavy.lol. My thinking if Yam lightens up sled to 525lbs or so 180-190 ponies would be crazy and just don't need it for swift trail riding in UPMI & WI groomed trails. To me 150hp 4s on a lighter platform would be the sweet spot. What are you going to do 180-190 hp on groomed trails?? Ok if you want to straight line race all day or use in deep powder but for groomed trails???

Yeah, but did you try a zr9000... the pull is crazy... it just puts a smile on your face every time..top speed is not that much more, but when you pull the trigger...woohoo....hang on its a HOOT...

The high horsepower for trails and this lower center of gravity thing on the viper is beyond me. A lighter more updated chassis with 140-160hp is plenty. 998cp4/847cp3. I'm still sticking with those motor options.

Subaru2006

180 -190 4s hp meaningless to me. My 2o07 Attak was rated at 144 hp had plenty of snort....My current ride 2012 Apex XTX rated at 165 hp & I do use the hp but sled & me both heavy.lol. My thinking if Yam lightens up sled to 525lbs or so 180-190 ponies would be crazy and just don't need it for swift trail riding in UPMI & WI groomed trails. To me 150hp 4s on a lighter platform would be the sweet spot. What are you going to do 180-190 hp on groomed trails?? Ok if you want to straight line race all day or use in deep powder but for groomed trails???

I might only use the power on the lake or in an open field, but to me being able to pass the next guy when he's got it pinned is priceless. I hate getting passed.
And if I can get a decent handling sled through the woods, that will make it even sweeter.

Yeah, but did you try a zr9000... the pull is crazy... it just puts a smile on your face every time..top speed is not that much more, but when you pull the trigger...woohoo....hang on its a HOOT...
I'm a big mile day tripper always 200 -250 miles midrange punch is where it is at for me get by slower peeps quickly have the hp to do that. Sure jack rabbit starts can be fun but would wear me down quickly pulling my arms out of sockets so don't do much of that anymore. The Mach never sold well for doo or the Thunder kitty for AC sure always a few that want a hyper sled but when it comes to plunking dough down on anew sled the masses don't buy the hyper sled & I don't see that changing.

I might only use the power on the lake or in an open field, but to me being able to pass the next guy when he's got it pinned is priceless. I hate getting passed.
And if I can get a decent handling sled through the woods, that will make it even sweeter.
Yeah we don't do that anymore that was fun when 130 hp was a fast sled now days at 165 hp you are moving too fast too quickly to bust by someone like that & if passing him that easily he is probably on less hp sled than you. Ok that you do that just been there done that don't care to ride like that anymore. I'm more concerned with going fast but also keeping everyone safe and try to keep places then trade back and forth to spot that you want during the day to fulfill need for speed. We don't do the horse thief & posse anymore on lakes & grades just go fast in order.

Jeez, maybe I should start hanging out with the cat guys. They actually like horsepower. Apparently everyone here wants a grocery getter.

For those who think the apex is 165, you're not even close. And I for one, would be embarassed riding around in a big 4 hole 4S that gets slapped around by those glorified weed eater mowers they stick in the skidoos.

Companies like skidoo and Polaris sell sleds because they focus on what they're good at and push to lead in those categories. Yamaha's good at motors, there is no reason anyone in the industry should be even close to them in that category.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back