• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New 2017 Yamaha Sleds...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason i asked is same weight but more power to move the same weight. i believe with weight comes the strength of the sled. I dont want lighter weight at cost of reliability. Now back to question of trying to find a happy medium. That is the biggest complaint i see, so if the did that they would sell more to get people to jump ship to yamaha.

Jeez, maybe I should start hanging out with the cat guys. They actually like horsepower. Apparently everyone here wants a grocery getter.

For those who think the apex is 165, you're not even close. And I for one, would be embarassed riding around in a big 4 hole 4S that gets slapped around by those glorified weed eater mowers they stick in the skidoos.

Companies like skidoo and Polaris sell sleds because they focus on what they're good at and push to lead in those categories. Yamaha's good at motors, there is no reason anyone in the industry should be even close to them in that category.
So 163 isn't even close to 165? Your math sucks. Go swing on Ski Doos etec nuts on their forum.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Jeez, maybe I should start hanging out with the cat guys. They actually like horsepower. Apparently everyone here wants a grocery getter.

For those who think the apex is 165, you're not even close. And I for one, would be embarassed riding around in a big 4 hole 4S that gets slapped around by those glorified weed eater mowers they stick in the skidoos.

Companies like skidoo and Polaris sell sleds because they focus on what they're good at and push to lead in those categories. Yamaha's good at motors, there is no reason anyone in the industry should be even close to them in that category.

To me that all depends on rider skill level. Soooooo many pokey doo riders out there on UPMI & WI trails it is a pita to performance riders. BUT what can you do they have just as much right to ride slow as we do fast so live & let live. Axys riders seem to be a different breed younger folks out to haul #*$&@ on trails so smart to get out of their way imo yes we can stay with them but we are not riding trails to hang off sleds. Part of the doo & poo attraction is they seem to appeal to everyman & woman with a very broad product line with price being a determining factor. Yamaha owners want the best and are willing to pay for it..some want big ponies but all want 4s reliability or would not be buying Yamahas.

Last edited:
I'll take the current 4cyl with 150hp or 155hp or 163hp or whatever it is. It doesn't matter. I ride with 3 '15 XRS Renegade 800's that are piped and studded. After 600 or so feet from a dig I pass them with my stock '11 XTX and walk away. From a rolling start at any speed it's no contest- I'm gone. The area under the power curve is what really counts and the 2 strokes can never compare. A modernized Apex weighing under 650 lbs with upgraded suspension, ergonomics and styling is all I ask for. The engine is the hard part and Yamaha has that covered already. Oh by the way it runs clean, great on gas, is bulletproof and strengthens with mileage.

Last edited:
So im curious if they came out with a 180 to 190 hp naturally aspirated motor , how many of you guys would snow check one right now?
This would give yamaha an idea of
the numbers interested in getting one.
My money is already in my very short pocket just for that. Anything else, i'll have to think about. I love the 150ish HP, but i would't complain if i had a few more. Don't forget boys, you don't have to use ALL the HP; ALL the time. I also would prefer NA over turbo, but again, i'm not saying no to it either. I can easily drive just as slow with 200hp as i can 100hp. Those that say they wouldn't buy because of TOO much power...that's like saying it's not the size of the boat, but the motion of the ocean...wish i had a bigger boat...

Power, power, power more is better. Have driven my 2011 apex xtx with around 300hp for many years. This year its upgraded to around 340-350 hp for trail use, thinking 400+ if nessesary. Its never enough. Are all people in this forum past 60 years ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Yamaha is equal to my buddies 800 etecs. Not sure what you're driving.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

My Yamaha is equal to my buddies 800 etecs. Not sure what you're driving.

A boosted Nytro.

It takes a really good running Apex to run with a lighter sled with more hp. Not saying it's not possible - but more times than not the 800 will win.

My buddies older etec was very inconsistent and I beat him all the time. But his new one. We raced last ride he would win I would win. We were 4 races 2 won two lost. Even. We even both hit 185 km/h top speed.

I'll take the current 4cyl with 150hp or 155hp or 163hp or whatever it is. It doesn't matter. I ride with 3 '15 XRS Renegade 800's that are piped and studded. After 600 or so feet from a dig I pass them with my stock '11 XTX and walk away. From a rolling start at any speed it's no contest- I'm gone. The area under the power curve is what really counts and the 2 strokes can never compare. A modernized Apex weighing under 650 lbs with upgraded suspension, ergonomics and styling is all I ask for. The engine is the hard part and Yamaha has that covered already. Oh by the way it runs clean, great on gas, is bulletproof and strengthens with mileage.
Any guys raving about a ski Doo renegade 800 beating a Yamaha apex is totally lying through their nose and out the #*$&@.The only advantage the ski Doo has is lighter weight for a quicker launch,the Apex has the steam to throw its weight around and the top end to bitch slap their bragging asses.Done it a few times already to those guys bashing on the Apex due to its weight,my sleds suspension is set up for aggressive handling and the rest is stock other than my skis and I will let you know from my own experience those guys were a little bewildered and surprised of the outcome and kept their yaps shut after that showdown.My advice ,don't let the Aexes weight fool you,the machine has some ungoddly potential if set up correctly.Suspension set up and handing is all I improved upon and the results proved itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back