• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New 2017 Yamaha Sleds...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was originally told all new clutches. We know the secondary is a new roller with OD sheaves. Primary looks same (3 tower) but they made it sound that its beefed up....hmm

Buttons instead of blocks. Basicly a p85 clone now. But shifting past the typical 1:1 ratio is sweet. Welcome to 1998 on the roller secondary!

Last edited:

Not sure what you paid for your Viper but adding a turbo kit isn't cheap by any means. I'd take the new model all day over a turbo Viper. I heard back from one of my sources today that was at road reports. Said he couldn't believe the performance. Never heard him talk like this about a turbo kit Viper. It was the buzz of all the magazine writers. The 850 e-tec is last weeks news.
I guess riding is believing, until I get seat time and a chubby from the power.... I'll be holding off on a snowcheck.

I guess riding is believing, until I get seat time and a chubby from the power.... I'll be holding off on a snowcheck.
I've ridden push turbo Vipers, wasn't enough to make me want one over my Apex. The guys I heard from also have ridden some crazy fast stuff in their time and came away in awe. Time will tell.

Cool! Enjoy the underpowered, power-curve driven pull of your 20-40 lb lighter 2-smoke!

How can you be serious? You don't even know the weight of the sidewinder so to say 20-40lbs lighter is a complete farce. The Polaris Axys Pro-RMK 800 is 408 dry. Yes, 408 dry. Yamaha won't even list the weight of their new sled. That's a red flag. I just finished watching the Arctic Cat video about the 9000 (their version of the sidewinder) and it said the engine package is 10-15lbs lighter than the 1100T it replaced. The 1100T was no light weight sled. The two Sno-Pro M1100T's I rode were noticeably heavier than my RMK. The front ends dived badly into the snow every time you let off the throttle. The sled was way harder to throw around and reacted much slower.

I'll have to look up the weight of the 1100T subtract 10-15lbs and then I'll have the weight. Care to wager how much heavier it is going to be? What's very interesting is Cat isn't offering a mountain version of the sidewinder/9000. My guess is the market is so small for that kind of sled that it is t worthwhile when they've got much lighter and better performing 800's.

I don't really see the short track version of this sled replacing the Apex either. I just can't see this complicated, turbo'd sled enjoying the reliability the N/A Apex has enjoyed all these years.

Last edited:
Is anyone else disappointed with this release? Only change is a turbo motor and everything else is pretty much the same....I was expecting more....

How can you be serious? You don't even know the weight of the sidewinder so to say 20-40lbs lighter is a complete farce. The Polaris Axys Pro-RMK 800 is 408 dry. Yes, 408 dry. Yamaha won't even list the weight of their new sled. That's a red flag. I just finished watching the Arctic Cat video about the 9000 (their version of the sidewinder) and it said the engine package is 10-15lbs lighter than the 1100T it replaced. The 1100T was no light weight sled. The two Sno-Pro M1100T's I rode were noticeably heavier than my '13 RMK. The front ends dived badly into the snow every time you let off the throttle. The sled was way harder to throw around and reacted much slower.

I'll have to look up the weight of the 1100T subtract 10-15lbs and then I'll have the weight. Care to wager how much heavier it is going to be? What's very interesting is Cat isn't offering a mountain version of the sidewinder/9000. My guess is the market is so small for that kind of sled that it is t worthwhile when they've got much lighter and better performing 800's.

I don't really see the short track version of this sled replacing the Apex either. I just can't see this complicated, turbo'd sled enjoying the reliability the N/A Apex has enjoyed all these years.

408 lbs dry, hmm never driven a sled without gas and oil in it. Most times when mfg's give a weight figure its for marketing purposes, they are usually heavier than what was claimed in real life. As for mountain versions of this sled. No doubt the 2 strokes are lighter which gives them an advantage for playing in the deep stuff. Lets not forget though a certain type of mountain rider likes to reach high peaks. A 2 stroke loses power at a greater rate than a 4 stroke as altitude goes up. Which machine is going to reach higher peaks in the mountains, a n/a 2s or a turbo 4s? You say...how can you be serious you don't know the weight?....so you said he was making an assumption. You just said this new Sidewinder will not be as reliable as an Apex. At this point isn't that also an assumption?

Is anyone else disappointed with this release? Only change is a turbo motor and everything else is pretty much the same....I was expecting more....
I would like to see a Phazer motor in the Cat chassis or just a new chassis.

I highly doubt it will top speed an Apex in stock form. Almost guarantee it at under 200hp. It will be quicker though. Look at the top speeds on this chassis and all the other tall rider forward sleds. Top speeds were higher in late 90's and early 2000 muscle sleds...which basically the apex is o_O
My buddies stock cat turbo pulled 128 on gps last weekend in conditions that were not ideal. His friend on his Apex wasn't even close. This was on a lake.

Oh btw, was I right or was I right?

New sled built at TRF with a turbo charged 3 hole 4s based off new SxS Yamaha in a new skid and new clutching. Fast and expensive!!

I haven't dug back that many pages but it probably was removed last night.
Apologies, you were right[emoji106] hope your source outs not getting any trouble although you didn't give away too much thanks for the show everybody.

Skickat från min SM-G388F via Tapatalk

Pretty much what I figured. People were murmuring 800cc 2 stroke. I laughed. If you want a yammi 2 stroke buy a cat. If yamaha released a revamped apex with a factory turbo or supercharger I would be snow checking today. I think they have it all wrong to the die hard yamaha alumni. We don't want a badged up cat with a Japanese motor. We want a yamaha!

Disappointed a little, but I also got my hopes up in 2012 and got a pair of skiis....lol. that motor was probably built for their SxS and we are just the test dummies.

I believe what I thought when the viper came out a few years ago is more true now. yamaha is getting out of making snowmobiles, just an engine maker like suzuki . Now with the 9000 and the side winder being identical, once the old made in japan sleds run out it will be all rebadged arctic cats.

Someone said Sidewinder is a five year old chassis has anyone ridden it with a cat motor and how well does it ride handle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back