• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New 2020

munskindaddy

Extreme
Just got back from Wisconsin. Talked to a man named Ray. He says not to worry. Yamaha is sitting out this year and using it for development. Look for some real high end stuff for 2020. The apex may come back as the exciter turbo making it the flagship model. They were working on a apex engine that is lighter and turbo over 325hp but still has the Cadillac ride. Don't know anything more other than what we talked about around the pool. Pure Japanese made, no as textron and not selling this outfit to textron. They will continue to have sidewinder and may have a1000 triple equivalent to a2 stroke 850 800 style sled. Just the messenger, so don't kill me.

Just got back from Wisconsin. Talked to a man named Ray. He says not to worry. Yamaha is sitting out this year and using it for development. Look for some real high end stuff for 2020. The apex may come back as the exciter turbo making it the flagship model. They were working on a apex engine that is lighter and turbo over 325hp but still has the Cadillac ride. Don't know anything more other than what we talked about around the pool. Pure Japanese made, no as textron and not selling this outfit to textron. They will continue to have sidewinder and may have a1000 triple equivalent to a2 stroke 850 800 style sled. Just the messenger, so don't kill me.
And who the heck is Ray??? Lol....I live in northern Wi and I talked to a guy named Ken and he don’t know nothing about Yamaha. Lol

Yawn, now what about 2021! Thats the big year I hear!
The 2019's are in production .
The 2020 are being tweaked somewhere , for final specs , as tooling takes a number of months to get done , and pre production versions are sent for photography in November in Idaho .
So 2021 model year is in the tail end of concept/design/engineering approvals .
2022 is ..........
The cross plane engine would appear to be a perfect sled compatible engine as it has even more low end grunt than the Apex 4 cylinder , and smoother . If it can fit in a bike , surely its sled adaptable .
Anyone that works at Yamaha , and is not contemplating leaving abruptly , would not reveal anything .

Anyone who knows anything about crystal balls , knows that the best ones are made in Japan !

Interesting article that kinda backs up what you are saying.
https://www.snowtechmagazine.com/2019-yamaha-return-srx/
https://www.snowtechmagazine.com/2019-yamaha-return-srx/
"Yamaha wants to make sure we (industry and consumers) are aware that the reduction in production does not mean they are getting out of the snowmobile industry, but rather they are “resetting” in preparation for the long haul in what continues to be a shrinking industry. They are committed to having competitive snowmobiles for loyal Yamaha customers. They also seem committed to reducing or stopping the shrinking of the industry by getting youth involved and hooked."
BTX-Blue-Yellow_action.jpg

The 2019's are in production .
The 2020 are being tweaked somewhere , for final specs , as tooling takes a number of months to get done , and pre production versions are sent for photography in November in Idaho .
So 2021 model year is in the tail end of concept/design/engineering approvals .
2022 is ..........
The cross plane engine would appear to be a perfect sled compatible engine as it has even more low end grunt than the Apex 4 cylinder , and smoother . If it can fit in a bike , surely its sled adaptable .
Anyone that works at Yamaha , and is not contemplating leaving abruptly , would not reveal anything .

Anyone who knows anything about crystal balls , knows that the best ones are made in Japan !

The crossplane is no better or worse then the current 4 hole! For a motorcycle low end grunt and smother was and is for manual transmission! CR himself said that there is no gain or benefit for snowmobiles that never see the low RPMs the motorcycle does!

Even the EXUP was designed to increase torque between 6,000 and 7,000 rpm. Below that was not even thought about! Also many have disconnected the EXUP and wired it open saying it does nothing and notice no performance loss one can surmise that the CVT is the vessel used to improve low end torque and smooth out the engine! The crossplane was to smooth out the firing pulses to the rear wheel at lower rpms to decrease wheel spin (CR talked about this), another thing the CVT eliminates from the equation. Increased low end torque as a claim on the crossplane at low rpm again is meaningless for a CVT and as they have not built a crossplane for a sled with a Gear reduction, different cams, etc to spin at 11,200 to 11,500 instead of 13,500 rpm! The 180hp looks nice but it will be more like 160 in a sled or basically what we had!

Now all that being said I would welcome the 16 valve four hole over the three hole any day but really wonder if Yamaha would retool a whole engine again. Mind you its mostly the case as they have the internals! I think that Yamaha will just continue along with selling cat chassis sleds with their engines or at best build a copy of that chassis for their engines! The former I would bet on the later not so much! Yamaha would need an assembly plant and tooling and engineering and a new engine! All that in a dying market (their words)!

They may build sleds again in the future but for the near future Cat will build them and Cat will have the same sleds as their own! A Yamaha sled is a long ways off I think! A four hole Yamaha even further!

The crossplane is no better or worse then the current 4 hole! For a motorcycle low end grunt and smother was and is for manual transmission! CR himself said that there is no gain or benefit for snowmobiles that never see the low RPMs the motorcycle does!

Even the EXUP was designed to increase torque between 6,000 and 7,000 rpm. Below that was not even thought about! Also many have disconnected the EXUP and wired it open saying it does nothing and notice no performance loss one can surmise that the CVT is the vessel used to improve low end torque and smooth out the engine! The crossplane was to smooth out the firing pulses to the rear wheel at lower rpms to decrease wheel spin (CR talked about this), another thing the CVT eliminates from the equation. Increased low end torque as a claim on the crossplane at low rpm again is meaningless for a CVT and as they have not built a crossplane for a sled with a Gear reduction, different cams, etc to spin at 11,200 to 11,500 instead of 13,500 rpm! The 180hp looks nice but it will be more like 160 in a sled or basically what we had!

Now all that being said I would welcome the 16 valve four hole over the three hole any day but really wonder if Yamaha would retool a whole engine again. Mind you its mostly the case as they have the internals! I think that Yamaha will just continue along with selling cat chassis sleds with their engines or at best build a copy of that chassis for their engines! The former I would bet on the later not so much! Yamaha would need an assembly plant and tooling and engineering and a new engine! All that in a dying market (their words)!

They may build sleds again in the future but for the near future Cat will build them and Cat will have the same sleds as their own! A Yamaha sled is a long ways off I think! A four hole Yamaha even further!
Although this crushes any sort of dream, I believe you are right. Kinda like the the jerk who told me Santa wasn’t real.

If they make a 1000 triple equivalent to the 850cc Doo and Polaris it better be a 2 stroke...……..ya right. Look at me dreaming out loud again

Don't hold your breath!
Ditto.
The 4 hole engine is/was a good power plant. But trying to push that engine beyond 160hp in stock trim would be a real challenge for Yammi. If memory serves it took some aftermarket tuning to get the 2011+ to near 160. Crossplane or not, I don't see a 4 cyl being the premier engine anytime soon. Not with the turbo stealin the show.

Ditto.
The 4 hole engine is/was a good power plant. But trying to push that engine beyond 160hp in stock trim would be a real challenge for Yammi. If memory serves it took some aftermarket tuning to get the 2011+ to near 160. Crossplane or not, I don't see a 4 cyl being the premier engine anytime soon. Not with the turbo stealin the show.

Actually all they did was richen up the fuel to correct a lean condition on top and made 163hp on the dyno! When the production engine came out the following year the engine lost 11 hp and only made 152hp. As the old saying goes however you cant race a dyno! Curiously though the RX was a 142 hp the 06 Apex was 9hp more or 152hp yet with bigger gear reduction and bigger cams and bigger exaust and more revs it still makes 152hp! Say what you will that is a very fast 152hp! It can take a fat man the size of a barn door and push him through the wind to 112mph! Turbo stealing the show? Seems that when the turbo came out and the invited few rode it they where proud of 116mph with 208hp!

Back