• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Battery (boring topic HUGE weight/$ savings)

mtdream

TY 4 Stroke Master
So, am mid process on the new sled, but thought I would post this in here too since it is irrelevant to brand...but MASSIVE impact for the money

So, the facts....

Stock Battery
on a Nytro (or kitty) is the Yuasa YTX20L-bs Battery...

Dimensions: 6.875" x 3.4375" x 6.125"
Weight- 13.23 Lbs. (Yuasa Brochure lists weight at 13.9 lbs.)
Cold Cranking Amps- 270 CCA
Warranty- 1 year
Price- List = $121, Internet= around $75
Maintenance- Requires Trickle charging in off season

The new Lithium Ferrous (Not lithium ion) batteries are amazing...

Ballistic Evo2 8 Cell...http://www.ballisticparts.com/products/batteries/8cell.php

100-011-8cell13.jpg

Here are specs...

Dimensions: 4.4" (L) x 2.36" (W) x 4.0" (H)
Cold Cranking Amps= 275
Weight- 1lb. 13 ounces/825 Grams
Warranty- 3 years
Price- List= $159.99...Internet $ around $143
Maintenance- no trickle charging, NO maintenance required

Link to a video on it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0QGNZwir4U

Another video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW2gOSd66rQ

Pretty cool, and amazing stuff!!!!

Here is the battery comparison pic of what I went with in my Nytro (NEVER had an issue with the battery even on the coldest days..)

and this was a (Despite the WPS naming) a YTZ 10S with Cold Cranking amps of 190...and weight of around 7 Lbs....

IMG_0266Medium.jpg

The 12-cell battery might be a better selection. You're still saving a lot of weight and gain a whole lot of CCA's

woodsrider said:
The 12-cell battery might be a better selection. You're still saving a lot of weight and gain a whole lot of CCA's

Yes, but why? Factory spec is 270...we know sleds are operating at COLD temps quite fine with sub 200 CCA's why go bigger when you dont need to?

under normal situations you're right, but there's the rare occasion when you're broke down out in the middle of nowhere and you been cranking on the thing and you're wishing for all the cranking power (duration) you can get. Just sayin' been there - done that.

and what on earth were you doing that caused this?

:) that is the story I want to hear more about :)

but, in all seriousness, these batteries do not decline with cranking like normal lead batteries...they are at peak pulse till they are dead like lithium ion tools...but again, these are Lithium Ferrous, and 20-50% more power than even Lithium Ion batteries...

So, if you were cranking and cranking, your not degrading the power...However, if your more comfy with more than Factory Spec. rock on and you will not have any issues...

Good thread MT! I need one ;)! My shorty is mostly stock in the weight department so this should help.

loudelectronics said:
How would this mount up? Be lots of spaceto fill.

Take some of the foam from your hood and fill the space... :)

In all seriousness, this type of battery really opens up options, as it can be mounted upside down, as it has NO liquid in it...so, in the future think thinner side panels etc. etc.

Yes, lots of leftover space...and can add tool kits in there or something...With my other battery, I merely bent the mounting bracket to hold the smaller (YTX10-s) pic below...

IMG_0269Medium.jpg

Interesting I was wondering about how you would mount the 10s since the connections are on the wrong ends.

I still want to hear from people who have actually used one of these in the cold. I'm talking starts below zero. Hyflyer said they tried a few gel batteries on sleds at the shop and they wouldn't start in cold temps.

I think I'm going to purchase this onehttp://www.shoraipower.com/p-155-lfx18a1-bs12.aspx. Talked to a few members on Snowest who have used them with good luck.

Will this Ballistic battery start the Nytro if it has been left over night in -30 ?

both the ballistics and the shorai are the same lithium ferrous technology, in theory they should both work fine in identical situations so if the shorai is working well one could assume the ballistic one would do the same.

So I have been curious about one question on this subject. It says that you can't charge these batteries with a regular charger. Why is that exactly. What is the difference between charging it with a regular charger and the battery being charged back up every time you use it by the sled?

One of these is in my future. I agree though about getting the bigger one that weighs just a half pound more that gives you a lot more capacity. Better safe than sorry when it is so little difference in weight and price.

Back