• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Battery (boring topic HUGE weight/$ savings)

i dunno if this applies or not...

my liOn tools batteries will not charge when the batteries are cold. I kept the battery charger in the attached, unheated garage one winter and was not able to charge the batteries until they were warmed up?

yea, watched the video and 29f is not cold, and that "cold soaked" battery had a very hard time trying to start the first few times, does this thing go out and party after you park it and have a hangover or something?... bring that temp down to say 0f and try that again, I would not want to be out on the trail park my sled at the cabin at night at 0f then wake up in the morning and its -15 degrees out and trust that my battery is going to "wake up" after a few cranks. I will stick with my lead acid battery... Id rather have that reliablity that it always has than the weight savings.

natedawgedog said:
yea, watched the video and 29f is not cold, and that "cold soaked" battery had a very hard time trying to start the first few times, does this thing go out and party after you park it and have a hangover or something?... bring that temp down to say 0f and try that again, I would not want to be out on the trail park my sled at the cabin at night at 0f then wake up in the morning and its -15 degrees out and trust that my battery is going to "wake up" after a few cranks. I will stick with my lead acid battery... Id rather have that reliablity that it always has than the weight savings.
;)! Yes i will also like to see a video of that battery with cranks in -20 celsius

I sort of agree with you guys However, one has to take into account that a high compression 103 cu in. motor is equivalent to a 1700 cc engine and the Nytro is rated at only 1049 cc. That is like adding 2 more cylindrs to the nytro. it will be interesting to hear the real world results once people put these new style batterires to the test in actual sleds.

I cant wait to get my hands on one, I have one on order from parts canada and hope to have it here soon!! For the price of the battery and the weight it cuts off i just have to try it, even if it is only good for drag racing it still sheds the pounds

bholmlate said:
I sort of agree with you guys However, one has to take into account that a high compression 103 cu in. motor is equivalent to a 1700 cc engine and the Nytro is rated at only 1049 cc. That is like adding 2 more cylindrs to the nytro. it will be interesting to hear the real world results once people put these new style batterires to the test in actual sleds.

my father has a softail 103cu converted into a trike with all the screaming eagle bells and whistles on it and with the stock battery it has no problem starting in the wintertime when its 0 f he drives it all winter. never has a problem turning the engine over with a lead acid battery.

I've started my Apex at -40C. At the same time I've been unable to use my digital camera on really cold trips only to find it works without charging once we are warming up in a relais. That video throws a little cold water on this idea for me. Maybe a Next summer project after this winter's cold starting videos show up.

IMG_3052.JPG

IMG_3053.JPG

IMG_3057.JPG

Interesting thread boys. Keep us informed how they work in the cold. I might have to pick one up if they crank in the cold. I live outside the coldest major city in the world so cold cranking is important. ;)!

I couldnt watch the video, but in my experience with 103 cu in harleys (ten year tech/now service manager) cranking on anything with less than ideal voltage and amperage usually shortens the life of something. IE: starter, ring gear, brushes, relay , or solenoid. I wouldnt want to warm up a battery by cranking slow on a built harley it doesnt take too many kick backs to tear some stuff up.

We are a drag specialties dealer and the rep had a flyer and battery in the other week, weight and size savings are impressive but I dont want to be the guy in a group of sleds who has to warm up is battery. So I will wait and watch this thread before I decide to buy one.

Back