• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Battery (boring topic HUGE weight/$ savings)

Just got my battery today. I weighed the stocker the ytz7s and the EVO.

Stocker- 14.4lbs
YTZ7s- 6.5lbs
Evo- 2.5lbs

Thats the easiest weight saving and at 11.9lbs of # savings for $159, is a no brainer!

Anyone getting creative with foam to set the battery in the stock location with some padding around it. I am thinking like some kids toy water noodle type material. I have not been able to find it in a block the size of the stock battery yet.

dirk_03 said:
Anyone getting creative with foam to set the battery in the stock location with some padding around it. I am thinking like some kids toy water noodle type material. I have not been able to find it in a block the size of the stock battery yet.
They make cheap camping pads for sleeping out of the material. Just cut it into a bunch of squares to make the appropriate size..

Maybe a person could make a cheap battery warmer that would kill 2 birds with 1 stone? Stick a pair of grip warmers on the battery wired to a momentary switch. Hold the button down for 30 second and the grip warmers would draw 30-40 watts waking up the battery while also warming the cells? It would be just like an old diesel engine that had a glow plug system!

blueironranger said:
Maybe a person could make a cheap battery warmer that would kill 2 birds with 1 stone? Stick a pair of grip warmers on the battery wired to a momentary switch. Hold the button down for 30 second and the grip warmers would draw 30-40 watts waking up the battery while also warming the cells? It would be just like an old diesel engine that had a glow plug system!

You know there is some logic in this approach. I was thinking of putting a battery warmer just to see the performance of a warm battery and cold engine, although a 40 watt heater won't do much for a 3 lb battery at 0 Deg F., unless it stays on for a while.

Since I usually have "shore" power when we stop for the night, I am either going the heater route, which allows me to plug in, or make the battery a quick disconnect, and jsut remove it, which might end up being easier.

Hassle? Absolutely... but only once a day when its freekin' cold.

OTM

I work for a company who build 12v motors. I was talking to an electrical engineer and he immdiatly suggested a heater for the battery. I have yet to push him to tell me where to get one. But he thought with a heater it should be a non issue. I would not mind even if it was a 110v heater. Plug it in for 20 min on cold mornings. . . hardly ever more than 20 ft from a outlet where we go.

Back