• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New clutch setup, testing.

I don't understand why you would think the PB80 would be superior to stock Yamaha primary clutch. You have way more tuning capability with stock Yamaha primary then with PB80. Secondly, PB80 has more friction built into to it that's why you are seeing the rpm fluctuations in changing conditions. Yes, the PB80 a significant improvement for the 4-tec guys over stock TRA and I do have on my 4 tec but if given the choice I say Yamaha primary is more capable of out performing CVT tech's PB80 if calibrated properly.

BADSLED said:
I don't understand why you would think the PB80 would be superior to stock Yamaha primary clutch. You have way more tuning capability with stock Yamaha primary then with PB80. Secondly, PB80 has more friction built into to it that's why you are seeing the rpm fluctuations in changing conditions. Yes, the PB80 a significant improvement for the 4-tec guys over stock TRA and I do have on my 4 tec but if given the choice I say Yamaha primary is more capable of out performing CVT tech's PB80 if calibrated properly.

So far it has been better and has exceeded my expectations. I already said why I did it. My OEM primary is getting a face lift. Fluctuations were because I was changing weights springs and wraps and belts. Besides who doesn't see changes in RPM running snow, ice, roads, hard packed with any clutch yeesh. I hear differently about the PB80 and guys with turbos and such love the reliability of the pb80 through the grape vine. Otherwise they'll kill the Yamaha primary or go to a Polar.
So far it's been easier to tune, once you own it, there is no expensive clutch kits to buy, springs are cheap and you can throw in anything for weight, washers, quarter whatever. Goes into overdrive better, runs cooler, quieter and more efficiently. All big +'s in my book.

mach9 said:
BADSLED said:

So far it has been better and has exceeded my expectations. I already said why I did it. My OEM primary is getting a face lift. Fluctuations were because I was changing weights springs and wraps and belts. Besides who doesn't see changes in RPM running snow, ice, roads, hard packed with any clutch yeesh. I hear differently about the PB80 and guys with turbos and such love the reliability of the pb80 through the grape vine. Otherwise they'll kill the Yamaha primary or go to a Polar.
So far it's been easier to tune, once you own it, there is no expensive clutch kits to buy, springs are cheap and you can throw in anything for weight, washers, quarter whatever. Goes into overdrive better, runs cooler, quieter and more efficiently. All big +'s in my book.

I will agree the PB80 is easier to tune as you only add and subtract slugs to achieve target RPM. I would be interested in your comparision and results of both primary clutches on the same day using the XTX belt and achieving the same RPM. If your results favor the PB80 and it performs better with cooler temps then yes it may be a more efficient primary..

Ok, I've changed out the primary spring to a softer starting rate.
Kept the same finish rate. (spring $30)
This dropped my engage rpm to 3100 nice for all round trail manners.
No more lurching at 3500 rpm.
Made a slight change in weight and got it all back up to 9200rpm again.
When I drop the hammer on hard pack snow. (railway line)
Kicks in at 3100 and holds 9000 and once I'm at 100mph starts climbing into 9100 then 9200.
If I had an RB3 I could raise rpm up to 9400...

Factory rev limiter is 9400 already Mark...not sure what you meen by raising the rpms. Sounds like you have it dialed in right now...great engagement and I like the finish rpms...since I did the 22/38 gears I'm having problem getting back to 89-9000 rpms...I need a better slection of weights for the tip...I may go with 2 speeds or Dalton adjustables.

shaddow44 said:
Factory rev limiter is 9400 already Mark...not sure what you meen by raising the rpms. Sounds like you have it dialed in right now...great engagement and I like the finish rpms...since I did the 22/38 gears I'm having problem getting back to 89-9000 rpms...I need a better slection of weights for the tip...I may go with 2 speeds if I can get a set...

Thanks, I'm really happy with it right now.
My bad. Thought 9200 was it for some reason? Duh.
Maybe I can get it up to 9300+.
I have another spring here with a softer finish rate I haven't tried it yet.
But figure I'd have to throw more weight at it than I want to.
I also may try taking another wind out of the secondary to help get more overdrive into the primary. One adjustment at a time.
Just once I'd like to see 115+ (187) on the speedo and then I'll stop making noise down my favorite stretch.

My stock Yami primary has 9500 miles on it w/o a tune up and deep grooves down near the shaft. I plan on buying the pw80, but I want to keep my 3000-3100 engagement rpm ( spring from Travis). Will CvTech sell me a softer spring?
Thank you
Dustin

Back