• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Skinz (SPG) "Concept" Front Suspension

The biggest pluses I see is they increased the wheelbase and changed the geometry, shocks and spindle angle. The Timbersled kit doesn't that in any significant way, same thing with the Yamaha '09 geometry. The Zbros front end is a similar price but it does not appear to make any significant geometry changes either.

To me, this front end shows real promise. It may be priced higher than the others but if it works, than what is the point of buying the other kits? The ideas behind the kit are very similar to the prototype Yamaha front end my buddy rode it late '08. It used forward swept a-arms, heims at all the a-arm pivots, angled shock and a 3" increase in wheelbase. It was an improvement to the Nytro handling but I never got to try it. Unfortunately Yamaha did not make the front end available as a kit to racers. The scary, nervous, front end and unstable high speed handling is why you don't see very many Nytro's being raced XC. Grassroots racers don't benefit from Yamaha's factory racing efforts so it really doesn't matter that they dropped their race program last winter.

scmurs said:
revster said:
Good job SPG and OFT!! Finally I have a reason to smoke a tree! ;)!

Thanks revster. Just don't kick your tether switch again ;):D

Well we'll see. I don't like to make promises I can't keep. :drink:

AKrider said:
The biggest pluses I see is they increased the wheelbase and changed the geometry, shocks and spindle angle. The Timbersled kit doesn't that in any significant way, same thing with the Yamaha '09 geometry. The Zbros front end is a similar price but it does not appear to make any significant geometry changes either.

To me, this front end shows real promise. It may be priced higher than the others but if it works, than what is the point of buying the other kits? The ideas behind the kit are very similar to the prototype Yamaha front end my buddy rode it late '08. It used forward swept a-arms, heims at all the a-arm pivots, angled shock and a 3" increase in wheelbase. It was an improvement to the Nytro handling but I never got to try it. Unfortunately Yamaha did not make the front end available as a kit to racers. The scary, nervous, front end and unstable high speed handling is why you don't see very many Nytro's being raced XC. Grassroots racers don't benefit from Yamaha's factory racing efforts so it really doesn't matter that they dropped their race program last winter.

I certainly agree I would not personally buy another kit but for me I have to decide if it is worth coin or for my type of riding is the stock ok. Been riding it since 07-08 winter with the stock A-arms and for now they are fine although I will agree when trying to hammer down that whooped out trail it does get a little scary and tiring more than anything trying to keep it in a straight line and not roll it. My last ride I got some signifact hill climbing and side hill action in and the complaint I would have about the side hilling is that it always want to go up instead of staying in a straight line constant throttle change and ski change.

For me more power is in order first I think. Then the front.

hugger70mtnmax said:
The only benefit of the timbersled is dropping weight. It does not give you the same benefits as this setup does.

I 100% agree with you I'm just comparing pricing, less parts and $150 more? I think they could have been a lot more generous with the price!

justinkredible56 said:
hugger70mtnmax said:
The only benefit of the timbersled is dropping weight. It does not give you the same benefits as this setup does.

I 100% agree with you I'm just comparing pricing, less parts and $150 more? I think they could have been a lot more generous with the price!
While that is true, skins could have just made a lighter weight stock configuration front end with spindles for less money.

But then, what would be the point without their awesomeness and improved configuration.

justinkredible56 said:
hugger70mtnmax said:

From what I've read, this front end offers a lot more than just weight savings. I like the idea that it uses the stock spindles, as they will always be available if you break one and they hold up just fine unless you make a habit out of running big, deep, rock hard whoops at high speed. But then the TImbersled front end would never hold up to that abuse anyway.

bottlerocket said:
Maybe they could put a group buy together and start sales with a bang! ;)!

Thats a great idea!!

Remember, the price stated is only a "SUGGESTED RETAIL" price. We dont know what the actual price will be yet... I hope

Alatalo said:
justinkredible56 said:
less parts and $150 more?
I think they could have been a lot more generous with the price!
Well, if you are the only one in the market that offers a product that makes this snowmobile work, then you would be expected to charge more than the others...?
Or others would soon offer an updated version.

Alatalo said:
tapex_07 said:
Remember, the price stated is only a "SUGGESTED RETAIL" price.
Did I miss something...?
Where did everybody see a price tag...?

I think over on Snowest
The documentary should be able to release by same time frame – middle to the end of June.

We will sell the front end as:

1. Complete kit without shocks Retail $949.95

2. Complete kit w/Fox Evol R Shocks Retail $1949.95

3. Complete kit w/Fox Float 2 Shock Retail $1699.95

I think guys are taking my posts the wrong way. I love the idea, all of the engineering in place makes sense and they have sufficient testing to make me, and, by the looks of it, all of you buy a set. My previous posts were not hating on the great product skinz put out but I'm broke and in need of replacing all A-arms AND spindles this summer. I'm not comparing the geometrical advantages of Skinz vs. Timbersled...strictly the price of the kit and what comes with it.

Right now you can buy a Timbersled Barkbuster A-Arm kit for $680 that includes EVERYTHING for your front end minus the shocks. The skinz kit is $950 and DOES NOT include spindles.
I am NOT interested in buying a Timbersled kit when I can get the advantages to the geometry changes the Skinz kit provides.
But in my specific situation, if I want the Skinz kit I need to purchase new spindles from yamaha @168 a piece. Which puts the total price of the skinz kit with new spindles from Yamaha at $1286 before tax. Now when installing the SPG kit you are replacing the same things you would be with the Timbersled kit.

Again I am NOT comparing the geometry advantages of the SPG kit to that of the Timbersled kit. Simply comparing parts to parts and pricing of said parts.

I guess I'm just cheap! :)

justinkredible56 said:
Right now you can buy a Timbersled Barkbuster A-Arm kit for $680 that includes EVERYTHING for your front end minus the shocks. The skinz kit is $950 and DOES NOT include spindles.

I guess I'm just cheap! :)

I have run a TS front end for the last 2 years. We are dealers for them, and I fully believe in using the products we sell - It's just good business. That being said, I would pay $2000 for this kit above and beyond all other choices. The closest thing to it is the ZBroz front end, and even that can't hold a candle to this thing...

Remember... You get what you pay for; at least when OFT is selling it to you!

Back