• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New to 4-Stroke and to Yamaha

Mista Mota

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 Phazer M-TX
Hello Everyone

I've been sledding for years and years, and only been a diehard Polaris nut... after my sled blew the other weekend and having to get towed back by a skidoo..(huge embarrassing moment lol) i had the chance to ride my neighbours Phazer X-TX. I totally fell in love with it and i just had to have one.
Soooo
I got ride of Polaris and Got a Brand New Phazer M-TX and my oh my is it even better then the X-TX that i was riding previous.

Anywhoo
just wanted to say hello and if you have any "tips or tricks" for a newbie to a 4-stroke that you could pass on it would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks
J

Assuming you are an off-trail guy, get a rollover valve. That is not something 2-stroke guys have had to worry about. Us trail guys don't always worry about being upside down, but it's in the back of our mind. I would have to say, that I enjoyed the phazer as well for the 4500 miles that I owned it.

Good luck!

Welcome to Yamaha and the forum! There's lots of tips here to read through including the FAQ.

Awesome thanks for warm welcome
thanks for the Tip Biff,
Mooseman, i've just started on going over the faq's its a pretty vast collection of articles. :)

Welcome to TY. My best tip for someone coming over to four strokes is to not turn the engine over backwards when doing clutch work or changing belts. Rotate the primary in the normal direction only. Mine has a big black arrow on it so I don't forget.

If you ride your MTX mostly ditches/back country I would suggest doing some clutching. I assume you are hitting the rev limiter a lot?

Honesty it’s still brand new, the sled only has 45 km on it, so I’m still on the engine break in process.

Well then go ride it with whats left of our winter!!;)!

When you store it after the season either run it right out of fuel, or fill it right up with premium and stablizer

Bad/old gas wreaks havoc on the Phazer.

Your previous post prompts me to say that these engines take a while too "loosen up" and will start easier, run cooler and make more power with two or three thousand kms on them.

Thats neat to hear, about the couple thousand km comment i'm looking forward to that.
previous with all my sleds i've always stored them full up with premo gas and stabil..
i'm actually going out to eldridge area next weekend to play around with it. so i'm looking forward pulling some doughnuts in the lakeland :)

lots of the 4 stroke sleds respond better to running every 3-4 weeks up to temp in the off season. all mine get stored with full tanks of 91 octane and seaqfoam that way.

Assuming you are an off-trail guy, get a rollover valve. That is not something 2-stroke guys have had to worry about. Us trail guys don't always worry about being upside down, but it's in the back of our mind. I would have to say, that I enjoyed the phazer as well for the 4500 miles that I owned it.

Good luck!
I live in fear of rolling mine onto it's left side and being stuck with an empty oil reservoir.

lots of the 4 stroke sleds respond better to running every 3-4 weeks up to temp in the off season. all mine get stored with full tanks of 91 octane and seaqfoam that way.
So like running it once a month for like 4 minutes or so is beneficial ? During the summer

So like running it once a month for like 4 minutes or so is beneficial ? During the summer

I do that will ALL my toys in the off season, except the outboard motor (hard to hook up flush attachment at -10). I let them run until they are fully warmed up once a month. Most 4 strokes have a radiator/fan so I run them until the fan kicks on. The Phazer MTX comes with a good set of clutch weights (8DNs) but you will need to add heavier rivets if your a flatlander like me, 3.6 in both holes and maybe a 4.5 in the tip once you get a 1000 or 2 on the engine. Another good mod is to find a YVX secondary off a 95-96' Vmax (new style secondary) and it bolts right on if you get the spacer with the clutch, just need a new bolt from the hardware store. The YVX is easier to tune and backshifts better out in the powder. a 97+ YVX of any trailing arm chassis will work also but needs some machining to fit and you need to make a spacer.

The Phazer is a fun sled off trail, I find it a lot easier to throw around than my Viper, even though its only 10# lighter! Just wish It had the extra 60hp the viper has!

Back