• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Tuner Skis, not really any improvement?

BETHEVIPER

Lifetime Member
So I read a while ago that yamaha redesigned the tuner ski to have deeper keels. So I checked it out at the dealer the other day.

They are deeper, a hole 3/16 of an inch deeper. Which is better, not by much, but better.

Here is the why it isn't worth the bother. The ski is narrower by 3/4 of an inch. This answers the question I had as to why Yamaha didn't put the tuner ski on the first year viper. Some states have a 48in width requirement. With the new skis on the viper, it measures exactly, 48in. If they used the 6in wide version that already existed, they would be over by 3/4 total with.

So, I wouldn't go run to buy the new skis as they are narrower. I would go with the wider version and just use a taller carbide like shaper or you can install shims under the cabide. Burgstrom has them or you can just make your own from worn out slides and a table saw.

It is just like Yamaha to make something new and go backward. They could have mad this ski a 7in wide version with everything inside, use spacers to offset and made everyone happy, but no, they make a narrower ski. Just what everyone wants, narrower skis. :o|

I would think that 3/16" deeper keel would be quite substantial.

What are the actual numbers?

are we talking 3/4" vs 15/16"?

That example would be 25% increase. If they are lower than .750" to start the percentage goes up.

I'll leave the width thing alone...

Currently there is alot of confusion out there on the Tuner skis - Here's the best info I currently have and some day when I have full confidence in all the info on these I will try to do an updated post.

The 2013/2014 FX Nytro models and the US and Canada accessory divisions have been selling what most people have known as the Tuner (8JH) ski the last few seasons. These skis have been 150mm (6" inch) wide and had a 21mm (.82") keel depth.

Next came the production 2014/2015 Tuner (8HW) skis found on the Apex, Vector, and Venture sleds - these were 135mm (5.3") wide and also had a 21mm (.82") keel depth. The narrower width was needed on these sleds for production as different states require the manufacturers to meet a width requirement which on these models the original 150mm wide style didn't pass.

The Tuner skis on the production 2015 Viper will be coming with a 135mm (5.3") width and a 26mm (1") keel depth. The 135mm width allows them to pass the production width requirements and also to note for the Viper application the ski bolt hole is in a location 9mm different from the Tuners used on the other models.

There will also be a Viper Tuner ski sold next fall by the accessory divisions that will be 150mm (6") wide with a 26mm (1") keel depth with the bolt hole location intended for Vipers.

With all the options above consumers will likely need to pay attention to which versions they are looking at as mix/matching most likely will be an issue. Also expecting all the versions above to be offered in colors for next fall so customizing your sleds look will also be an option.

Thanks for all the info...hopefully I'll be able to score a pair of the wider deep keeled Tuner skis next year. I'm not getting my hopes up though, as we all know Yamaha's track record of supplying accessories with higher demand. They usually end up being back ordered for months.

Kevin, please keep us updated, especially if you can provide part numbers. Thanks a bunch.

I would think a ski skin of appropriate plastic could be easily made to cover the surface and make it wider held on by holes for carbide bolts if people need more floatation.

I hope for snow like that but truth be told I ride 90% time on firm to hard trails

Yamadoo

Anyone have anymore info, such as a part number for the newer, wider, deeper keeled Tuner skis?

Anyone have anymore info, such as a part number for the newer, wider, deeper keeled Tuner skis?
Hi Grimm, I see your still looking for the holy grail in skis. ;)

I sold my tuners with my SRX. I have the Vector on stock skis with snow trackers and the Apex on Stealth skis. hummm

I'm trying a pair of Triple Threat skis this year...should be delivered today. I'm debating whether to go with Shaper or Deuce bars for them.

The Viper Tuner has the mount hole higher than the others. Doesnt look like they are releasing a 6" deep keel Tuner this year. You also lose some of the width adjustability the 14 with cat ski had. I am sure the mount kit could be modded to accept the 14 bushing. Here is 15 catalog of Tuners.

Attachments

• Tuners.jpg
    Tuners.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 633
Canondale can u pls write the part number of the ski and the mount kit for the tunners.. hard to make out the part number in the picture

Back