• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

No spark, cranks good.

loafer

Veteran
I'm stumped.. I've checked the ignition, kill switch, connections, coils, plugs...no spark still and without it running I can't get codes... have I got that right?

I've tested the stator but I'm not getting consistent readings. I don't like the meter I'm using. my next step is to use another meter and then compare those to a known good part. At the stated .26 ohms or so, imho, it doesn't take much to throw it off.

Update, new stator/pickup coil.... still no spark! I'm kinda lost... no I'm a lot lost. Anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks in advance

I've just read those posts, thank you. That seems like a likely place to look. I'll get at it tomorrow and update you.

Sigh, and I had such high hopes for the ground blocks being bad. I found 3 crimped ground blocks, cut and soldered one of those, the rest were good. I found the ground block socket with the bridge. That was clean and dry but i touched it up and applied dielectric grease anyway. I cut away some of the other parts of the harness to check it out and it all looked good. I never did find the grounding block with the brown wires but I'm wondering if that's specific to the efi models? I visually inspected the remainder of the wiring harness and I couldn't see any breeches or any bulges that would denote another ground block. I pulled the relays and cleaned them up but I don't think any of those control spark on a carb model... am I right in thinking that? I'm going to switch them out anyway to be sure. I actually put my regulator into a know working sled and it fired right up. My ecm is a different number and when I tried that on the working sled( it's a carbed venture) , it sputtered but wouldn't run. I'm thinking that's a timing issue between the two different sleds. But i did get spark, something I'm not getting on my vk pro. I'm now talking to a used parts dealer to try a completely different harness.... I guess I'm running out of ideas....

Any thoughts?

Dave

Update, new stator/pickup coil.... still no spark! I'm kinda lost... no I'm a lot lost. Anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks in advance
Did you install an oem stator or an aftermarket stator? Some people have had issues with the pick up gap on the aftermarket pieces. To get those back to spec they had to file the holes larger to adjust.

Did you install an oem stator or an aftermarket stator? Some people have had issues with the pick up gap on the aftermarket pieces. To get those back to spec they had to file the holes larger to adjust.

No, I used an aftermarket stator. Crap, How would i go about measuring that gap?

Thanks for the info. My next job it to pull the pickup coil and check the gap. That could indeed be the problem. I know I can check the ohms on the pickup coil but can I check for output when the motor is cranking too? I'm actually out of town for the next month, so I'll put this on hold till I get back. Again, thanks for the help and I may need more hand holding when I get back at it.

Dave

I had a problem with a non OEM pickup coil where the wire leads into the connector were swapped by manufacturer. I used a brad nail to remove the leads from the connector and swap their positions. FIRED right up. On my 05 Rs venture you couldn't adjust the gap.

Thanks for the info. My next job it to pull the pickup coil and check the gap. That could indeed be the problem. I know I can check the ohms on the pickup coil but can I check for output when the motor is cranking too? I'm actually out of town for the next month, so I'll put this on hold till I get back. Again, thanks for the help and I may need more hand holding when I get back at it.

Dave
Loafer, Did you ever get your VK running? I'm having a big problem with my 2006. December 2019 it had a meltdown of the ignition system. 2 coils and an Ignitor (CDI).

Back