• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Noseberg

Does the iceberg that forms in the front grill contribute to overheating?
Yes I would say air temps,IAT temps,when warm outside and snow covered grill my IAT,s rise.

Last season, I was packing the intercooler with snow when playing off trail (leading to 70°F - 90°F air intake temperatures). This summer, I purchased an Arctic Cat Pro Front Bumper (P/N 7639-301) in hopes that it would help prevent this from continuing to happen (or at least limit the issue as much as possible). So far, the bumper has kept the intercooler clear, even when running in deep powder (and helping keep that air charge down between 25°F to 32°F). Even when I was liberal with the throttle and sitting at 85+ MPH for those long northern Maine railroad beds, I only saw my air temperature climb as high as 42°F - I'd call that a success.

Last edited:
Last season, I was packing the intercooler with snow when playing off trail (leading to 70°F - 90°F air intake temperatures). This summer, I purchased an Arctic Cat Pro Front Bumper (P/N 7639-301) in hopes that it would help prevent this from continuing to happen (or at least limit the issue as much as possible). So far, the bumper has kept the intercooler clear, even when running in deep powder (and helping keep that air charge down between 25°F to 32°F. Even when I was liberal with the throttle and sitting at 85+ MPH for those long northern Maine railroad beds, I only saw my air temperature climb as high as 42°F - I'd call that a success.
Wow for those temps it was well worth the money.

Wow for those temps it was well worth the money.

I never noticed a difference in performance with such high intake temps, but it definitely was an area that I wanted to improve (kudos to Yamaha in making an engine that is smooth in it's performance and holds true to it's intended power output).

Is the Arctic Cat 9000 grill installation as easy as taking out the screw, popping out the grill, and reversing the process with the new piece?

I never noticed a difference in performance with such high intake temps, but it definitely was an area that I wanted to improve (kudos to Yamaha in making an engine that is smooth in it's performance and holds true to it's intended power output).

Is the Arctic Cat 9000 grill installation as easy as taking out the screw, popping out the grill, and reversing the process with the new piece?

Yes.

I have run both grille's. They both end up built up in ice. The Yamaha grille is easier to chip out the ice.

IMG_1294.JPG Wrap the mountain grill with frog skin and problem solved. Someone else posted this last year and it works great.

Last season, I was packing the intercooler with snow when playing off trail (leading to 70°F - 90°F air intake temperatures). This summer, I purchased an Arctic Cat Pro Front Bumper (P/N 7639-301) in hopes that it would help prevent this from continuing to happen (or at least limit the issue as much as possible). So far, the bumper has kept the intercooler clear, even when running in deep powder (and helping keep that air charge down between 25°F to 32°F). Even when I was liberal with the throttle and sitting at 85+ MPH for those long northern Maine railroad beds, I only saw my air temperature climb as high as 42°F - I'd call that a success.
On the contuary I have had IAT,s as high as 100f plus,on warm days,and high speed runs.

Arctic grill with Frogskinz
  • Arctic grill ($12) and sheet of frogskinz.
  • Sand down sharp corners
  • Attached with VHB tape.
Grill and Frogskin.JPG

I first stretched / folded it to shape with gorilla tape and then lifted each side up (carefully) and applied VHB tape to the edge of grill. Takes some snipping of corners with scissors. I made two of these in about 2 hours. I have buried the nose and no packing. Also easier to grab front bumper!

Back