• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

not over 6 grand for the first 300?????????

STINKFINGER

Extreme
Is this something that should be followed to the letter?
I think more people than not ignor this brak in period

I break them all in like I stole them.Hard and fast.There is a lot of debate on this matter.Ask betheviper about the article he has on this.It makes for some good reading.The jist of it is pound the crap out of it.The article is all on breaking in four strokes.This is how Im running mine and I havent had any issues so far.Ive broke in a 99sx,03 viper 04 venture and now my 06 attack,but I'm sure many would disagree with me

Every Honda Goldwing motorcycle is redlined through every gear on a dyno before it leaves the factory to listen for any unusual noises or problems.

I actually read in MOTORTREND whwere they talked about MOTOTUNEUSA... and partally agreed with him about breaking them in hard..

There is no way to prove it one way or another..

Just hop on it and drive it like you normally would.. Just dont hold it wide open for very long for the first couple hundred miles..

Drive it hard, but I would go easy (under 6000RPM for the first 15 miles and then drive it hard, but do not hold it wide open for more than a 1000ft mark until after the 300 mile mark. IMprotant thing is not to over heat it. Also, if it is broke in too hard, you risk a chance of it burning oil after.

If you break in in exactly as motoman says, you will have a really fast apex!!! I never started mine until I was ready to ride it, then it went right to 10,000 rpm in short bursts after warming it up. I now have over 1400 miles with no oil consumption, and it is the fastest in our group of apex's and rx1's :die

I would agree with. I have 1500 miles on mine and haven't used a drop of oil. I drove mine during the break in period like I normally drive ( hard on the gas ). Just don't hold hold it wide open for any long period of time. Vary the throttle. Make the engine not know what your going to do next.
The result of this: I litterally noticed an increase in power around 450 mile mark and then again at around 1200 miles. I changed the oil at 250 miles and then again at 1500 miles.

Vince

If you plan to keep it for 10 years maybe you take it alittle easy but if you are like most of us you wont have the sled longer than a couple of years so enjoy it while you can time and snow is limited, just ride.

Read the manual do not keep it at 6000 or more for long period of time that would cause an overheating problem than 8000 till 500 or 600 more (what ever it says) Run it like you would any other time except don't run it to the bars across a lake for a mile or more but full throttle for 5 or 6 seconds maybe 10 secs if it is cold and you have good snow to cool the heat exchangers will not hurt it at all

progas said:
If you break in in exactly as motoman says, you will have a really fast apex!!! I never started mine until I was ready to ride it, then it went right to 10,000 rpm in short bursts after warming it up. I now have over 1400 miles with no oil consumption, and it is the fastest in our group of apex's and rx1's :die
I would recommend doing what progas said,this is what i did and my boys rtx runs 118 gps and my attak run almost that fast and uses no oil,you only have a bout a 20 mile window to break in the rings,so run it up to full throttle in bursts of 10-15 seconds at a time while under a load,in snow dont overheat the motor,do this for a few miles and let it cool down,after the first 20 miles you wont have much chance to do any more for the ring seal,but than you loosen up the bearings,and same thing applies bring it up thru the rpm range in bursts than back down to normal speeds and right back up and down again,i did this for first 100 miles than just drove it hard,the way i always drive,she likes it.. ;)! ;)!

our race car motors only get 10=15min break in time before getting abused!! never had problem yet, and these are normally 1100-1400 hspr motor!!! and were not easy at all!!! Drive Em Like You Stole Em!!!!

During break in don't hold one RPM for long periods of time and do not do real long WOT runs. Other than that ride normal.

Back