• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro in the Trees

I put a bunch of miles on the kit this week and it's the real deal. Couldn't find much in the way of jumps(will this weekend) but got to do a lot of trail riding and some very deep pow riding. Keep in mind my sled is far from stock so results may very, but here's what I found.

Trail riding was greatly improved. It dramatically reduced inside ski lift and the sled felt like it was on rails. I never thought my Nytro would be able to take corners like it did, especially in off camber situations where the sled would be more prone to tipping over.

The powder was unbelievable armpit deep fresh. In this kind of snow any sled is going to handle good but there were a couple key improvements I noticed. First was the ability to carve downhill better on steeper slopes and hold more technical lines. Second was an increase in side hilling ability. It's hard to explain, but the new a-arms make the sled feel more relaxed. I felt like I didn't have try as hard to do the same type of riding.

There are however a couple things I'm not a huge fan off.
- After running the shorter front end with 16.5" shocks, I'd prefer to run 17.5 shocks and have the higher stance back. I like the taller front end for hitting snow drifts and jumping/dropping.
- I don't like how the upper a-arm mounts to the subframe. I wish the a-arm would be a solid tube and mount with a through bolt like oem. Polaris and Ski-Doo both have tabs on each side of the a-arm where they mount to the bulkhead. On the Nytro I think the a-rm mounts would fail over time. This would also let them produce a simpler design that's just as strong or stronger and loose some weight as well.

The Timbersled is a nice kit and drops more weight, but the handling benefits from the Skinz front end are just too good. I had a blast this past week and can't wait to get out this weekend and find some jumps.

If anyone has questions just ask away. I'm extremely tired from Arctic Man so I apologize if my post isn't written very clearly.

Nikolai said:
I don't like how the upper a-arm mounts to the subframe. I wish the a-arm would be a solid tube and mount with a through bolt like oem. Polaris and Ski-Doo both have tabs on each side of the a-arm where they mount to the bulkhead. On the Nytro I think the a-rm mounts would fail over time. This would also let them produce a simpler design that's just as strong or stronger and loose some weight as well.

That is a good point. After seeing my friend with a skidoo break and mangle his, requiring replacement of the nun, I like the idea of a solid, stronger unit.

Good review. Interesting that the trail manors improved so much. That is definitely something that the Nytro lacked.

What shock pressure did you have? Did you run them lower then normal?

Thanks for the write up Nikolai

Were there any areas where this setup performed worse than your "stock" set up?

It sounds like everything was improved, I was just wondering if there are any tradeoffs?

(e.g. is the turning radius increased?)

Ruffy, I was running 90 in the main chamber and 150 in the Evol chamber. My previous shocks were Float X's which didn't have a second chamber so it's not really a fair comparison. When I get a production kit I'm going to run Ohlins up front.

tmk50, I didn't notice any downsides to the kit. It really made the sled a lot more fun to ride in all conditions. It's too hard to describe the change in handling characteristics, but it is that good. Everyone knows I'm a weight weenie and if it wasn't worth the weight gain over the Timbersled I wouldn't be running it.

Also, I talked to Jeff @ Skinz today and shared my two concerns about the longer shocks and a-arm mounting and they had already addressed both. Production kits will use 17.5" shocks, and the upper a-arms will be one tube with a single bolt.

I want to get some more miles on them in different conditions and see how the stability and relaxed feeling plays into jumping. I think it's going to depend on the rider and the type of riding you do. The more technical and difficult the terrain got, the more the front end shined. If you're the type of person that just cruises to the cabin on the weekends or just boondocks through trees in open meadows(think Ureka), you probably won't notice a big difference. But if you like riding technical back country terrain like Johnson Pass, Lost lake, ect. I would say absolutely.

isnt it funny...it was not until I got on another sled till I could communicate the wild differences...

fortunately, we had like 5 different sleds to play with, so it was easy to compare...made a big difference to compare...

once you ride it, and switch back to what you had...it is amazing!!

Shock update.

The Exit shocks are able to be upgraded. See below.

ExitShock.jpg

Thanls rlc ;)!

The OEM Float 2's can be upgraded as well. They will require a little more machining, but it can be done. Going to take a couple of days to complete the machining fixtures and I will post pics.

All Ohlins built for the Nytro are supposed to have the spherical bearings installed as they were delivered from Ohlins. Thanks T.A. ;)!

As was stated earlier. The production kits will use a 17.5" ( same as Yamaha OEM ) shock.

scmurs said:
Shock update.

Thanls rlc ;)!

The OEM Float 2's can be upgraded as well. They will require a little more machining, but it can be done. Going to take a couple of days to complete the machining fixtures and I will post pics.

All Ohlins built for the Nytro are supposed to have the spherical bearings installed as they were delivered from Ohlins. Thanks T.A. ;)!

As was stated earlier. The production kits will use a 17.5" ( same as Yamaha OEM ) shock.

You say Exit shocks need an upgrade to fit.

Maybe there are different Exits out there, but my Exits that I purchased this year seems to fit as is. They have the spherical bearing up top. Included some pictures, and they look different than the ones you have.

//Tom
DSC00655.jpg

DSC00652.jpg

Just a word of caution regarding spherical bearings - they have all got a maximum allowed angle of misalignment. Some of them quite a big angle, others not.

With this front end installed, what is the maximum angle of the spherical bearings...?

Zipperno said:
scmurs said:
Shock update.

Thanls rlc ;)!

Maybe there are different Exits out there, but my Exits that I purchased this year seems to fit as is. They have the spherical bearing up top. Included some pictures, and they look different than the ones you have.

//Tom
DSC00655.jpg

DSC00652.jpg

You are correct the tops are all set from the factory, the bottoms aren't. Thats what has to be converted. ;)! Why Exit does it that way is beyond me.

Alatalo said:
Just a word of caution regarding spherical bearings - they have all got a maximum allowed angle of misalignment. Some of them quite a big angle, others not.

With this front end installed, what is the maximum angle of the spherical bearings...?

The bearings that OFT will be using have a 19 degree maximum ball swivel. They are made from chrome plated, hardened bearing grade material with a 13,000 pound load rating.

We will test fit a Nytro with both the Exit and Float shocks that have been updated to ensure proper fitment throughout the full travel of the suspension.

rlcofmn said:
Zipperno said:
scmurs said:
Shock update.

Thanls rlc ;)!

/]

You are correct the tops are all set from the factory, the bottoms aren't. Thats what has to be converted. ;)! Why Exit does it that way is beyond me.

Yes you are correct. Bottoms are not.... Too bad. Hopefully OFT will supply the parts thats needed to convert them. Or do I have to go to Zbroz?

Zipperno said:
rlcofmn said:
Zipperno said:
scmurs said:
Shock update.

Thanls rlc ;)!

/]

Yes you are correct. Bottoms are not.... Too bad. Hopefully OFT will supply the parts thats needed to convert them. Or do I have to go to Zbroz?

OFT has you cevered! ;)!

Back