• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro skid plate-news?

I drill holes in mine and it did not solve the problem!

It just took longer before the skid plate was full of ice!

It is just a small improvement and not worth it!

Errol

Attachments

• DSC01985.JPG
    DSC01985.JPG
    334.6 KB · Views: 137
ridiculous

I have busted my second skid plate because of excessive snow build up.. The nytro is at the dealership right now and they are saying that the plate was installed incorrectly (becuase their dealership didn't do it..) is why it popped.

Any new updates for this issue??

I still havent put my skinz float plate on because of the excesive build up. I did however tape over the small vent by the oil resi, prefiltered (SLP) the 2 main vents, and duck taped around the headlight, only leaving the 2 big open holes untouched and it helped a great deal. I figure less snow in less water out the bottom. I will be putting my float plate on soon.

My skid plate has poped off twice due to huge ice build up. I drilled some small holes next to the tubes that are the frame and used some large zip ties to hold the plate up in the middle, that worked for about 45 minuets in the deep snow then the ice busted them too. I'm plugging the vents and using the screen mesh like Davoo said. Plus the large zip ties.

My skinz plate busted the front straps that hold it onto the bumper with snow/ice build up. I drilled an extra hole and I now safety wire it around the bumper. So before you put on that skinz plate, you will want to find a better solution for the front install points.

skidder

I have the vents covered in prefilter material (all of them) but after 3 straight days of riding freshies without being able to thaw the sled out after each ride, I bust a skid...

I am drilling out the plate now and installing U bolts in the mid section of the plate and mounting it to the sub frame...

with my luck I will bust the skid plate off and bend the weak sub frame too! ;)! Cheers!

IMO, it isn't the sled it is due to having a skid plate mounted to any sled that causes the problem. My old Indy is rarely parked in my heated garage and over a few rides (depending on type of snow) it will form enough ice to limit the down travel of the radius rods.

It's a give and take thing and a guy needs to decide if a skid plate is worth some of the hassles.

akdavo said:
I still havent put my skinz float plate on because of the excesive build up. I did however tape over the small vent by the oil resi, prefiltered (SLP) the 2 main vents, and duck taped around the headlight, only leaving the 2 big open holes untouched and it helped a great deal. I figure less snow in less water out the bottom. I will be putting my float plate on soon.

The biggest issue is that snow will be lying on the skidplate where the Aarms are attached. not that water runs from inside the plastic. I have mine in warm garage so the problem isnt that big for me. Ill just drill small holes in the lowest part of the plate so that water can come out somewhere and not lie around in the skidplate until I go riding next time. I have the Yamaha ultra plate though. Dont know if the floatplate has the same problem with swimmingpools in th plate.

I drilled holes through the front of it through the grab bar and bolted it. Still builds up but stays in place and a few wacks on the bottom with a hammer (after it sits for an hr or so) and the ice chunks come. That & a heated trailer ;)!

My stock skid plate got ripped off, was it snow that packed in there or not??????? who knows!!!!!! Got the ultra plate cause that was all the dealer had, no I'm told a stock skid plate is on back order until March!!!!!!!! :o| To say the least, I'm a little pissed. There's such a gap between the ultra plate and the front heat exchanger, I'm scared that's going to catch on something, then bye bye heat exchanger........hello new engine!!!!!!!!WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are they coming up with a solution??????? #$%&*

Mine just popped off. :o|

My dealer mechanic left me with the impression that I used the wrong drill bit because a metric size bit is recommended.

I'll let him reinstall it and then if it comes off again, I guess Yamaha will be doing a free reinstall.

I've been waiting for the past 10 days for some prefilter material to arrive. Perhaps that will help my problem go away.

I'm guessing that the engineering of these skid plates did not account for the pressure resulting from the expansion of the water and snow as it freezes between the plate and belly pan. I don't know if there will be an easy fix based on the current design.

I hope I have better luck after my dealer reinstalls it because I feel naked without a skid plate. :moon:

Back