• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Octane??

stopdropanroll

TY 4 Stroke Master
Website
www.styleonecustommotoring.com
I now have a Excel header, free flow exhaust, and cr10ek plugs, I am waiting to do filters and a PCV w/auto tune, but for the mods I have now should I run a higher octane fuel?? Just want to be safe until I can finish my mods and tune it correctly.

I run 91 premium here in MN on my stock Attak. I know it minimizes performance, but the stuff is the only gas here without any freakin' ethanol in it. But that's just me and my adversion to that crap.

But for your application or mine, higher octane will most likely just diminsh (albeit by only a miniscule amount) your engine's performance. As Turk said, unless you've cranked up the motor's compression or are worried about pre-detonation, 87 will most likely give you a little extra.

Super Sled said:
I run 91 premium here in MN on my stock Attak. I know it minimizes performance, but the stuff is the only gas here without any freakin' ethanol in it. But that's just me and my adversion to that crap.

But for your application or mine, higher octane will most likely just diminsh (albeit by only a miniscule amount) your engine's performance. As Turk said, unless you've cranked up the motor's compression or are worried about pre-detonation, 87 will most likely give you a little extra.

That thumb throttle in your picture looks pretty slick. Where is the "zoom in" button when you need it?

I run the Premium Non-Ethanol. that Ethanol is some bad stuff. I have spent alot of time researching it. The stuff killed a bunch of Boaters on the Columbia river. Reacts to moisture . Boats, Snowmobiles, chainsaws, ATV's pretty much any motor that is operated in moist conditions... I had to search around to find it, but will run nothing but..

Will super unleaded hurt the sled in anyway? Will I notice a decrease in performance using "super"?

You will notice no difference running either, so i just run the regular in it, makes it cheaper in the end i wish to concentrate on the fuel economy aspect.

All my mods are listed in my sig...I run 87 with NO issues...and that's all I plan on running in it cause 91 is TOO EXPENSIVE and NOT NECCESSARY...and hard to find in some places...you are good to go on 87. ;)!

agreed regarding using "regular" when available. Couple places on the trail only dispense "super". Wanted to be sure there was no problem running super.

wh2oscott said:
I run the Premium Non-Ethanol. that Ethanol is some bad stuff. I have spent alot of time researching it. The stuff killed a bunch of Boaters on the Columbia river. Reacts to moisture . Boats, Snowmobiles, chainsaws, ATV's pretty much any motor that is operated in moist conditions... I had to search around to find it, but will run nothing but..

I agree! Its bad stuff.

I also run premium to avoid ethanol. However when I get somewhere that does not have premium I don't worry about it. I just try to put as little ethanol thru my engine as I can. (If the premium has ethanol I run 87.)

I'd bet a lot of you guys who are buying premium are actually getting regular or 89 at best. Seen a lot of 2 smokes go down around here because of watered down gas, happens a lot more than you think, and is one of the main reasons I don't have boost yet. I run regular in mine with no problems, got pretty much every bolt on mod except for a header and PC.

Back