• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

OIL CONSUMPTION

Just bought my 2004 RX1-ER and the dealer said that he was at a Yamaha seminar and that you should not fill the oil to the full line, and that it should be just above the "E".You will go through a lot of oil if you are trying to keep it at the full line.

The dealers all said that f means full on the dipstick and e stands for enough.......... ALL engines have a tendancy to find their own level of oil for safe operation. Did you try to run past the 2-300 mile mark to see if it stayed at the E mark????? Just a thought, as my 03 got 3 oil changes in 13000km and never used a drop.....

After 700 miles of mostly WFO drag race to the nutz testing I used 1 liter(quart) of oil. Perfectly acceptable.

To prevent oil burning and get more power from your engines go to www.mototuneusa.com. Follow the procedure for break in to the letter. If you have already been driving your sled sorry this will not help. Putting new rings in and starting over will. You can't put enough emphasis on doing the breakin like motoman recommends. I did my bike this way and it is way better than most that are supposed to be the same.

Thunderbox - Where did the initial thermo stabilizing of pistons go, some tuners stress that this is crucial for your engine and has to be done with great care. Motoman's way may work what do I know. But one thing I know for sure is that me and my friends sleds ran exactly the same top end (120 MPH on speedo) running side by side on the lake for a few miles WOT. Both has 22/38 gearing. He broke it in the hard way, me I did by the book more or less. Just my 2 cent.

Again I say you didn't read the full article or you would know that he doesn't say the hard way but a specific way. Your friend may have broken it in hard but did he follow the Motoman way or his own way. Maybe if you read the full article you will see it doesn't condone driving it like it was stolen.

Thermo stabilization of pistons who knows what that is, can't say I ever recall someone telling me that was paramount. I do know that the piston does not and never will seal the pressure in the cylinders that job is the job of the rings and the lubricant. I can tell you that if my RX-1 was using 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles I would be worried as hell. That would not be acceptable.

Back to break in, Motoman has the pictures of the 2 pistons and many actual dyno charts. I think with 2 sleds going across the field is not very scientific to say the least. This assumes that your clutches, engine state of tune, carb sync, total sled weight (including fuel and oil), track adjustment, passenger weight, snow condition and depth and many other variables are identicle, which is most likely not true.

But like I said previous, do it your way if it makes you feel better. I'm not telling you how to do it I'm trying to explain what I believe is a better way.

Thunder - Thanks for the info. It's much clearer now. May change rings some day, or maybe not. I'm not using any oil and power feels ok. But I agree with you that my comparison was everything but scientific. Sled runs great now. Happy sledding to everyone.

Thunderbox - Thank you for sending me to http://mototuneusa.com/ :D :D :D :idea:
I have now read all the articles. Have to say I was a sceptic at first, :shock: but now I'm a believer. :lol: Info on break in was superb, it's not at all about running hard wot all the time, but running it hard enough for the rings to seal properly. But the most interesting articles was about porting on multi valved heads. I may do it on my Kawazaki zx9r and rx-1. 8)

Hey rxrider, let me know if you do the porting thing on your engine. I would really like to know how much faster it makes the bike and the sled. I have a Buell and I was thinking about trying it when I take it apart for any reason. I have to admit I was skeptical at first also but the more I thought about it the better it sounded.

PS We are now using the motoman break in method on our Crown Vic Police vehicles. Have'nt done a dyno yet but I will let you know if we do.

Back