• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil filter change ONLY! I screwd up!!!

ray628

Extreme
Guys, I have an oil filter on in question that may not be the right one. Wix is claiming that the metal web inside may not be oncave enough to seal properly. Sled has the oil changed, fresh filter and no leaks but I think I would rather be safe than sorry and get a new filter. Question is do I need to drain the whole can of oil or can I just take the drain screw out of the engine block and drain from there? Are the two connected and will it just keep flowing from the can? Trying to make this as easy and painless as possible for myself. Not happy right now. :o|

No. The beauty of the dry sump system is very little oil is in the motor.

Drain the oil from the case sump into a clean can then replace the filter - quickly. Dump the oil back in the reservoir, replace the little lost to the filter and you're good to go.

The engine is a dry sump style, so you should just be able to change the filter only & not even drain what little is in the crankcase.

LOL!! Arteeex beat me by less than minute on the reply.

theCATman said:
The engine is a dry sump style, so you should just be able to change the filter only & not even drain what little is in the crankcase.

They have an oil "cooler" above the filter. I figured that might have a little reserve in it too.

ray628 said:
Guys, I have an oil filter on in question that may not be the right one. Wix is claiming that the metal web inside may not be oncave enough to seal properly. Sled has the oil changed, fresh filter and no leaks but I think I would rather be safe than sorry and get a new filter. Question is do I need to drain the whole can of oil or can I just take the drain screw out of the engine block and drain from there? Are the two connected and will it just keep flowing from the can? Trying to make this as easy and painless as possible for myself. Not happy right now. :o|

I just put a Wix filter on mine (part # 51358)...what is the part # of the one you have on now and what is the # of the one they are suggesting solves the problem??

Actually my buddy mentioned that the oil filters are pressurized, so I may not have to even drain the block. What do you guys say? Should I just pull the filter or will the block drain through the oil filter through gravity?

I have the wix filter ending in 65, not the 58 that you have. Everything looks the same, actually the 58 is longer than the 65 but they are both longer than the Yamaha that came off it. All the thread, oring, ID and OD match perfectly. They are saying that they wont stand behind it because the metal web portion that has the threads may not be concave enough to seal properly. It looks sealed to me and ran for 15 minutes with no leaks before I covered it up but I dont wan't to be thinking of this while riding or have a problem in the middle of nowhere!

ray628 said:
Actually my buddy mentioned that the oil filters are pressurized, so I may not have to even drain the block. What do you guys say? Should I just pull the filter or will the block drain through the oil filter through gravity?

I have the wix filter ending in 65, not the 58 that you have. Everything looks the same, actually the 58 is longer than the 65 but they are both longer than the Yamaha that came off it. All the thread, oring, ID and OD match perfectly. They are saying that they wont stand behind it because the metal web portion that has the threads may not be concave enough to seal properly. It looks sealed to me and ran for 15 minutes with no leaks before I covered it up but I dont wan't to be thinking of this while riding or have a problem in the middle of nowhere!

So did they say they would stand behind the 58??

I say give it a try without draining the system. It might be a little messy, however if you don't allow any air in by opening the head cover cap or oil reservoir cap, the surface tension of the oil may keep the oil in the engine and not drip out at all, especially if it's cold....physics man...physics.

So, does your brand of physics take into account the reservoir vent?

Throw down some newspaper and let it rip. Then let us know how it turns out and most importantly, who was right and what you've learned from this exercise.

Yes, the 58 you have is the one they say to roll with!

I was thinking of not starting it up and warming either. Just pull the filter and see what happens with a big pan under it.

copo427ss said:
just pull the filter already. lol

I know, is such a freaking sissy! lol I need to get the filter and in the process of getting ready for thanksgiving tomorrow at the house. Probably a better project for friday!

Back