• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil filter change ONLY! I screwd up!!!

ray628 said:
My only problem is that I scratched the filter with the filter wrench when was snugging it up! The scratch always seems like a big deep scratch when the sled is put back together and you are sitting around thinking about it!
Daranello said:
U snug it with a wrench??? I just put some oil on the o ring and snug up by hand

Attachments

• Proper torque.JPG
    Proper torque.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 148

whatever floats your boat...each to his own...and if you think because it has a yamaha name on it it's the best youre smoking something...

most of the time its not the part but the user...

Crewchief47 said:
I don't have anything negative to say about the yamaha filter. But I don't need a 'scientific experiment' to tell me the Napa one is cheaper, and just as good......

How much do you pay for a Napa filter compared to the Yamaha filter, Crewchief47 ? Stock Yamaha filter here in Canada is $18.31, ouch !

after doing exhaustive research (there's a ton with motorcycles online) Ive determined the best filter for the money etc is the purolator pure one...

NyTrOMaNIaC said:
Crewchief47 said:
I don't have anything negative to say about the yamaha filter. But I don't need a 'scientific experiment' to tell me the Napa one is cheaper, and just as good......

How much do you pay for a Napa filter compared to the Yamaha filter, Crewchief47 ? Stock Yamaha filter here in Canada is $18.31, ouch !

Can't remember but it may have been $10, or less. Don't quote me on it though.

NyTrOMaNIaC said:
Crewchief47 said:

Did the price go down?? I paid $25 for one last winter..

sj said:
if you think because it has a yamaha name on it it's the best youre smoking something...

That is not what I said.

The OEM oil filter is built to meet the specifications decided by the engine designers at Yamaha. Nothing more but also nothing less. You have got no idea if this is the case with aftermarket oil filters. Also, the OEM oil filter has done countless of hours of dyno testing and field testing during the development stage. The engine designers at Yamaha are likely very sure that the OEM oil filter will not cause inadequate lubrication if treated properly. Again, you have got no idea if this is the case with aftermarket oil filters.
I am not saying that the aftermarket oil filters are crap. But for the relatively small price difference, I see absolutely no reason to take the risks mentioned above. Also, I see no reason to get excited just because some streetbike forum riders think they can find the best oil filter by cutting them apart. If the aftermarket oil filters would really have a massive advantage, they would
a) already be the OEM equipment
or
b) not become OEM equipment at all since the engine designers know it makes no difference...

Anyway, each to his own...

Not sure about this but I think Yamaha filters are denso filters. But I know for a fact the NAPA gold are made by WIX or at least use to be.

I think like most filters for these type of machines, as long as you don't have the cheap internals (fram) you should be OK.

Here is a good site to read about filters. http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/index.shtml

Subaru2006

napa is wix..and I was one of the first guys I know of running 0w-20 full synthetic in an apex...and I was told of the engineering and my craziness etc about that...sure theres some spec'ing on their end of the parts supplies...
just as they have engineering in their skis/ski rubber..cooling system...track clip config.......handwarmers...wheel/bearings...etc....

they make great motors ...but just about every other part of the sleds can be bettered..and just about every wearable part on these sleds can be improved on...

when it comes to this subject...and for me I'll take mobil one, amsoil or royal purple (synthetic after break in) and a wix or purolator pure one filter over oem any day ...

subaru2006 you're right, i'm 90% sure it's a denso, you can tell from the case.

I used to work for an auto parts distributor which supplied parts to shops and got a lot of my parts at cost - do you know what cost on most oil filters is? About $1.50. Yamaha buys enough from Denso they should get them for less than that.

$25 is an awful markup.

Also, I agree, anything other than a fram filter will be fine as long as it is similar in spec to the OEM.

sj, engineering...handwarmers... :drink:

Mark

I'm now skeert of everything i bought aftermarket back to stock we go!!!

LOL pass da blue kool aid...

Back