• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

OIL FILTER FROM HELL

A

Anonymous

Just finished my 3rd oil change.Can't figger out how YAMAHA could design such a great machine & then make the oil filter so dam hard to get at. :? There, I feel better now. :wink:

So fix the problem. Get rid of that ugly useless battery box they stuck in there. The guy that designed that needs his #*$&@ kicked.

Isn't there some sort of extension we could get to move the location of the Oil Filter anywhere we want? I mean, I've seen oil filter mounted on a rear of a motorcyle on a TV show once.

The best way to remove the oil filter is to take a leather belt and wrap it around it and loop back through the buckle. Then pull from the right side of the sled. Works like a charm everytime!

Or you can drive a big screwdriver through it with a BFH and loosen it that way. I prefer just reaching down there and turning it off with both hands.

There is also a oil filter cup type tool sold for the rx-1 or any Yamaha with the 5GH filter. This tool works well. Call or email me for details.

iF YOU CHECK IN THE ARCHIVES THERE IS A BATERY RELOCATION POST THAT COULD HELP YOU. I THINK I WILL USE IT TO. IT IS EVEN MORE DIFFICULT TO CHANGE THE OIL IF YOU GOT A TURBO ON THE SLED.

as a bike mechanic ,i have changed oil and filtre on just about everything out there ... trust me ,compared to alot of two wheeled stuff out there an RX1 IS a walk in the park ..... try an 1100 v-star.

Any auto parts store also have the oil filter wrench that works with a 3/8 ratchet wrench with short wobble extension or 3/8 breaker bar (minimum clearance)
Bring your new oil filter with you to size it up!

Just got done doing my first oil change. What a Mother F****er!!!!! All I could think of is. I would like to be a fly on the wall and listen to all the swearing going on. I think it might be faster to pull the motor. (Later)

In regards to the minimum clearance the tool from Yamaha is designed to be used with a regular wrench (or a 3/8 ratchet for other applications) therefore eliminating the clearance issue when removing the filter.

oil filter remover

did my first oil change on the warrior to day. after hearing all the horror stories i went to sears and baught a oil filter remover wrench partnumber 9 47064 auto- adjustable universal oil filter wrench automatically adjusts from 2-1/2" to 4/34" (62mm-121mm) uses a 3/8 ratchet or 3/4 wrench and when turning to remove it automatically grabes the filter making it easy removal $ 12.99 phil :

Back