• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

oil in belly pan

slewfoot

has anyone had oil in the pan of their nytro.I haven't taken it apart to find where it is coming from,looks like somewhere behind the air box.anyone have any ideas?

no the sled hasn't been rolled or on its side,I thawed in the shop after riding and found oil on the floor,then checked the oil and it was down about 1/2 liter.I can see where oil has run down the front of the engine but can't see whereit originates from.

I have read in the forums about some people having problems with hitting things with there skid pans hard enough to push the metal channels of the stock skid pan into the filter and causing small leaks. But if there is oil running down from the top of the motor the filter is not the issue. Did you recently change the oil or have the dealer change it? there is a bleeder screw that you are suppose to loosen to bleed the air from the motor when you change the oil. Maybe it was not tightened all the way. have you checked to see if the cylinder head oil filler cap is tight?
As towerrigger stated usually oil in the belly pan is a sign that the sled was rolled on its side. the oil runs up the breather line to the air box and once the sled it turned up right the oil runs out the bottom of the air box don the front of the motor to the pan.

slewfoot said:
no the sled hasn't been rolled or on its side,I thawed in the shop after riding and found oil on the floor,then checked the oil and it was down about 1/2 liter.I can see where oil has run down the front of the engine but can't see whereit originates from.

slewfoot, There is a drain hole in the right (oil tank side) rear of the air box. What can happen is if oil gets in the air box, it will drain out this hole and get blown back on to the engine.
Usually it will show up on the front side of the engine block about where the crankcase halves bolt together and make it appear as if the block is leaking at the sealing joint.
For diagnosis, I would pull your air filter out and make that air box doesn't have I bunch of oil in it. Some light oil residue is normal. Then clean the engine off with brake parts cleaner and once the brake cleaner dries off, spray talcom (spelling) powder on the block.
The talc powder makes kind of a white dusty mess, but any oil leaks will show up very clearly! Or if you have access to a black light, oil dye can be added and then use the black light to spot traces of oil dye on the engine block.

Bill

thanks for the info ,I took it apart tonite and there was oil in the air box.I don't know how it got there,the sled has not been on its side or rolled.not even on it's side for maintenance.will definately monitor over the next few rides.

It can happen when carving especially during a hard carve. I have had mine leak in that fashion as well

My xtx blows oil into the airbox under certain conditions if i keep the level at the highest mark on the dipstick. If i keep it at the bottom half of the acceptable range then i dont have an issue. Oil leaks out of the airbox and shows up leaking out of the belly pan under the front of the engine.

Back