• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil Pressure Gauge

Bob Miller

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Present Sled: 2011 Yamaha Apex 128
Anybody hook up an Oil Pressure Gauge? What type? And where are you connecting to engine?
Thanks

I hooked up both a water temp and oil pressure gauge on my 05 rx1.The oil pressure gauge required some creativity as there really is nowhere to hook into the is accessible.How I got around this was to put the oil filter adapter they use on the turbo engines that has the outlet coming off it.I plumbed into this with a high pressure high temp crimped line and ran it across the front of the engine to the clutch side where I hooked in my oil pressure sending unit. I used autometer marine gauges hoping they would be more weather tight and as an extra bonus they are backlit in red which goes good with the rest of the dash.I mounted the gauges in abs plastic tube shaped in a 1/2 circle that I picked up at a hardware store and painted black.then I took a piece of aluminum and bent it to the shape of the hump in the dash and the semi triangle shape it is and mounted the tube to the aluminum and drilled 2 holes through the dash after removing the rubber black insert (so that when I trade the sked I can replace it and have no evidence of the holes).The wires were routed through a small hole in the dash and into the half circle tube leaving a clean neat finished look.People who have seen it are quite impressed with the look and the best part is that they look good, are very visible as they are directly above and too each side of the main speedo,and dont butcher the dash. As I have already lost one engine to connecting rod bolt failure I am presently hooking up a low oil pressure switch that will kill the engine in the case of blown oil line or pump failure that causes a loss of oil pressure.It is not complete yet as I still have some issues to figure out specifically with regards to how to wire into my kill switch and whether to go with a switch that is normally open or one that is normally closed.I should also mention that where the oil line I installed from the filter adapter crosses the front of the engine I used another high temp rubber line behind it to prevent any possible chafing in areas where the fit was tight or where there were sharp edges.

Back