• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Only for 2011 Apex XTX please

zeke-xtx

Extreme
I would like to ask you guys or girls that own an Apex XTX how long your Hyfax lasted? If you have any big wheels or ice scratchers please don’t reply!! ANYONY get good life out of a stock setup? I would really like to know. Please give an honest answer so we can determine if the premature failure is common occurance.

100km's they hit the wear line ,, 125km's they were worn through to the rail . Wet heavy snow on packed trail.

Yamaha track tension spec is too tight and the wheels they use are too small . Truth !

I got 500miles and to the wear line. I had to replace and that was adding 4 big wheels to the outside. We then put a bigger wheel kit on the inside wheels and still had them burn off quick but now looks to have slowed. I haven't rode in a month and when I did take it out for snowmobile softball the slides where melting to the track and there was plenty of snow. Definitly something wrong. :o|

At 600 miles close to wear line (12mm), had them replaced, didn't want to chance wearing thru while on 10 day vacation. Replaced again at 1200 miles even with snow sprayers on my simmons. Houston we have a problem! :o|

1200 miles, 1000 good conditions, the other 200 terrible condition. We rode the terrible first, and wore them near the limit, then rode the rest with no change. 100% stock.
the 06 apex was down to the limit line at the curve in the rails, the XTX was near the limit for most of the length.
The 06 has the larger wheels, XTX will next year. Both sleds started the trip on fresh Yamaha hyfax.
And by terrible, I mean dirt with frost on it.( Alston, Mi)
Also was running the track VERY LOOSE.

1300 miles on mine.
They wore close to the wear line at the 2nd last set of wheels right at 300 miles. 1000 miles later they have not moved. The remainder of my sliders are all at 80% left.

500 miles on mine to the wear line. I also am very careful of not riding in conditions with no snow etc.
Since then, I replaced all of the wheels with Excel larger wheels, made special mounting brackets and lowered the stock wheels down .100 in four places. 2 on the outside front of the rails and 2 at the inside of the rails behind the middle wheels. I also put new hyfax on once I got the hyfax as they were backordered for some reason???? I since have ridden 200 miles on some of the worst conditions of the season with marginal snow and have not seen any wear. I will know more next season as we are done for the year here in Ohio.
Jim

Almost 800 on my Dads then we replaced them

An Apex (any model, any track length) will be hard on slides if you are not in good snow. These machines are heavier than almost anything out there and they make gobs of torque throughout he rpm range. When that susbstantial weight is bearing down on the clips, and you pin the flipper, twice the pressure as compared to a lighter 2 stroke is applied. You have to think of it that way; with a 150lb weight disadvantage and the torque to out accelerate anything, more pressure is applied everywhere. Now, imagine adding a 1.5 inch off trail track as some of you have, thereby increasing the load on everything still further. Any hard packed surface without some loose snow WILL scrubb these slides down to the rails in no time. Just because the trail is white doesn't mean it is fit to ride on. I have this debate with riders all the time. There has to be some loose snow or you won't make it out of the woods. 50 feet across a snowless surface will make your clips so hot you won't be able to hold your finger on them. If you get carried away and try to follow other lighter sleds with less lug height while getting into the throttle, you will spend your slides before you know it.

On the other hand, if you are in loose snow, even a couple inches, you do not even need idler wheels. They can be taken off and thrown away. The slides will last for 1000s of mile like that. Off course we can't always be in the right conditions so wheels give you some grace period, but not much.

Essarex said:
An Apex (any model, any track length) will be hard on slides if you are not in good snow. These machines are heavier than almost anything out there and they make gobs of torque throughout he rpm range. When that susbstantial weight is bearing down on the clips, and you pin the flipper, twice the pressure as compared to a lighter 2 stroke is applied. You have to think of it that way; with a 150lb weight disadvantage and the torque to out accelerate anything, more pressure is applied everywhere. Now, imagine adding a 1.5 inch off trail track as some of you have, thereby increasing the load on everything still further. Any hard packed surface without some loose snow WILL scrubb these slides down to the rails in no time. Just because the trail is white doesn't mean it is fit to ride on. I have this debate with riders all the time. There has to be some loose snow or you won't make it out of the woods. 50 feet across a snowless surface will make your clips so hot you won't be able to hold your finger on them. If you get carried away and try to follow other lighter sleds with less lug height while getting into the throttle, you will spend your slides before you know it.

On the other hand, if you are in loose snow, even a couple inches, you do not even need idler wheels. They can be taken off and thrown away. The slides will last for 1000s of mile like that. Off course we can't always be in the right conditions so wheels give you some grace period, but not much.

Umm, why are the XTX's harder on slides than other models, you saying they are even heavier? :dunno:

Back