• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Only for 2011 Apex XTX please

Essarex said:
An Apex (any model, any track length) will be hard on slides if you are not in good snow. These machines are heavier than almost anything out there and they make gobs of torque throughout he rpm range. When that susbstantial weight is bearing down on the clips, and you pin the flipper, twice the pressure as compared to a lighter 2 stroke is applied. You have to think of it that way; with a 150lb weight disadvantage and the torque to out accelerate anything, more pressure is applied everywhere.

The weight is not the issue. On my old DinoRX I removed the Proaction for the favor of an Cat-skid. The ProAction was not so hard on the slides, but when I switched to the Cat-skid the problem with the slides disappeared.
Have more than 13000km (8000 miles) and thery're still looking brand new.

And the sled didn't not loose so much in weight...

Him said:
Essarex said:
An Apex (any model, any track length) will be hard on slides if you are not in good snow. These machines are heavier than almost anything out there and they make gobs of torque throughout he rpm range. When that susbstantial weight is bearing down on the clips, and you pin the flipper, twice the pressure as compared to a lighter 2 stroke is applied. You have to think of it that way; with a 150lb weight disadvantage and the torque to out accelerate anything, more pressure is applied everywhere.

The weight is not the issue. On my old DinoRX I removed the Proaction for the favor of an Cat-skid. The ProAction was not so hard on the slides, but when I switched to the Cat-skid the problem with the slides disappeared.
Have more than 13000km (8000 miles) and thery're still looking brand new.

And the sled didn't not loose so much in weight...
I have a couple old C7 skidoo skids kicking around......

I think it's a more problem regarding the material in the slides. Since Lynx-slides appear to hold better, but they are a pain to put on, I'm told.

Essarex said:
An Apex (any model, any track length) will be hard on slides if you are not in good snow. These machines are heavier than almost anything out there and they make gobs of torque throughout he rpm range. When that susbstantial weight is bearing down on the clips, and you pin the flipper, twice the pressure as compared to a lighter 2 stroke is applied. You have to think of it that way; with a 150lb weight disadvantage and the torque to out accelerate anything, more pressure is applied everywhere. Now, imagine adding a 1.5 inch off trail track as some of you have, thereby increasing the load on everything still further. Any hard packed surface without some loose snow WILL scrubb these slides down to the rails in no time. Just because the trail is white doesn't mean it is fit to ride on. I have this debate with riders all the time. There has to be some loose snow or you won't make it out of the woods. 50 feet across a snowless surface will make your clips so hot you won't be able to hold your finger on them. If you get carried away and try to follow other lighter sleds with less lug height while getting into the throttle, you will spend your slides before you know it.

On the other hand, if you are in loose snow, even a couple inches, you do not even need idler wheels. They can be taken off and thrown away. The slides will last for 1000s of mile like that. Off course we can't always be in the right conditions so wheels give you some grace period, but not much.

I have a problem with that statement because I know a guy with a Cat touring 4-stroke (non turbo) he has to weigh 350lbs and his wife has to be at least 220lbs+. They don’t have any slider issues at all the sled is much heavier then mine and all the weight is on the rear skid. Yamaha has a design flaw that’s needs to be addressed.

zeke-xtx said:
Essarex said:
An Apex (any model, any track length) will be hard on slides if you are not in good snow. These machines are heavier than almost anything out there and they make gobs of torque throughout he rpm range. When that susbstantial weight is bearing down on the clips, and you pin the flipper, twice the pressure as compared to a lighter 2 stroke is applied. You have to think of it that way; with a 150lb weight disadvantage and the torque to out accelerate anything, more pressure is applied everywhere. Now, imagine adding a 1.5 inch off trail track as some of you have, thereby increasing the load on everything still further. Any hard packed surface without some loose snow WILL scrubb these slides down to the rails in no time. Just because the trail is white doesn't mean it is fit to ride on. I have this debate with riders all the time. There has to be some loose snow or you won't make it out of the woods. 50 feet across a snowless surface will make your clips so hot you won't be able to hold your finger on them. If you get carried away and try to follow other lighter sleds with less lug height while getting into the throttle, you will spend your slides before you know it.

On the other hand, if you are in loose snow, even a couple inches, you do not even need idler wheels. They can be taken off and thrown away. The slides will last for 1000s of mile like that. Off course we can't always be in the right conditions so wheels give you some grace period, but not much.

I have a problem with that statement because I know a guy with a Cat touring 4-stroke (non turbo) he has to weigh 350lbs and his wife has to be at least 220lbs+. They don’t have any slider issues at all the sled is much heavier then mine and all the weight is on the rear skid. Yamaha has a design flaw that’s needs to be addressed.

Agree 100% ;)!

zeke-xtx said:
Essarex said:

The same point I was trying to get across on pg-1. ;)!

Zeke, Terminator, Irv,,,,,,,

I think you are trying to make the point that there are heavier sleds out there that don't wear their slides as fast as the Apex XTX? Correct?

Well, from our seats here behind the keyboards, that is impossible to prove one way or the other.

Virtually all slides, clips, and tracks, are made from the same selection of materials, independent of manufacturer, OEM, aftermarket, etc. I am at a loss to understand what the specific Yamaha "Design" is. Any sled will ruin slides in snowless conditions. Any sled will preserve its slideds in good conditions. What else is there to say or debate?

My experience seems to have proven to me that IMO, a big contribution to the wear problem is the fully clipped, open window track!
In previous years, my brother ('06 Attak) and I would wear hyfax at a comparable rate.
This season, he switched to a fully clipped track and is tearing through hyfax. I ran around 3000miles on my first set this season. He ran through two sets before hitting 2000mi.
Stock everything on both sleds.

Essarex said:
Zeke, Terminator, Irv,,,,,,,

I think you are trying to make the point that there are heavier sleds out there that don't wear their slides as fast as the Apex XTX? Correct?

Well, from our seats here behind the keyboards, that is impossible to prove one way or the other.

Virtually all slides, clips, and tracks, are made from the same selection of materials, independent of manufacturer, OEM, aftermarket, etc. I am at a loss to understand what the specific Yamaha "Design" is. Any sled will ruin slides in snowless conditions. Any sled will preserve its slideds in good conditions. What else is there to say or debate?

Like what everyone has been trying to tell you, it doesn't have anything to do with weight, it is the design of their suspension, which includes idler size, geometry, suspension travel etc.
Something in the design is flawed, it is not the weight of the sled.
Debate over imo

I put 6,800 hard miles on my Attak. 1st trip I smoked a set of sliders in 600 mi. Before the 2nd trip I installed Polaris idlers. Changed them once a yr. after that. At 4,000I put an 136 ExpertX in it . Used slides when I bought it. In 2,800 mi. they have never shown any wear! I've run it on bare ice, roads, snirt, rocks, you name it. The ExpertX holds a TON of snow in all conditions. Thicker rails and lots of snow equals excellent slide wear. My 11 Apex XTX had Excel wheels on it 1st trip and I changed them because I had the skid out. By the way, I am 300 lbs dressed out and have installed oversized wheels on every stock Yamaha skid I own. It's just standard procedure for me LOL!

Viper_Dave said:
I put 6,800 hard miles on my Attak. 1st trip I smoked a set of sliders in 600 mi. Before the 2nd trip I installed Polaris idlers. Changed them once a yr. after that. At 4,000I put an 136 ExpertX in it . Used slides when I bought it. In 2,800 mi. they have never shown any wear! I've run it on bare ice, roads, snirt, rocks, you name it. The ExpertX holds a TON of snow in all conditions. Thicker rails and lots of snow equals excellent slide wear. My 11 Apex XTX had Excel wheels on it 1st trip and I changed them because I had the skid out. By the way, I am 300 lbs dressed out and have installed oversized wheels on every stock Yamaha skid I own. It's just standard procedure for me LOL!

Thats the problem I have!!!! They should have put the bigger ones from the start.
Yamaha wont even resond to me anymore!!!!

P.S. Dave I live in Northern Canada not Canton!!! WE HAVE SNOW

Back