• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

over revving

Has the clutching ever been monkeyed with?

At what ground speed does it do this? right off the bat when you start accellerating WOT? Or does it peak out at this at top speed?

Sound like you got a good Motor. Clean your clutch faces with Scotch Brite pad and then with ascetone and try it again.

I had a similar problem on my 04 RX-1. It would go to about 10,400 but then when I got up to about 85MPH it would steadily climb until it hit the rev limiter at about 100MPH. I thought it was the primary and I needed a little more weight in the tip of the primary arms. I added more weight 3 times and it still didn't change. Finally I figured (with help from a smart person on this site who I bought the sled from) that the primary had to be not shifting all the way, or the secondary had to be sticking. The primary checked out fine, but as soon as I took the helix off the secondary I could feel the slop in the moveable sheave. It was obvious it would bind as it started to shift out and wouldn't let the belt come all the way down, essentially keeping it a a lower gear and over-revving the engine. I just picked up 2 new bushings and buttons and will replace them this weekend. And then I will have to take some weight back out of the primary arms. I think this might be a common problem, because I had to call 4 dealers to find one with bushings in stock. They are about $22 a piece.

How many miles on the clutches? Sounds like the secondary is not opening fast enough (steep helix or tighter spring wrap).
Might want to double check your primary spring color and weight numbers. Maybe set up wrong from the factory or dealer.

thats funny, recently my apex began to rev to 11,000 RPM vs. 10,600 for the first 5k miles. Could be because of my secondary?

number1kyster,
Yamaha primary clutches have the little plastic guide buttons that cause resistance. The more miles you have on those clutches, the easier they move and the faster they go (broken in). Less resistance = higher RPM.
Sounds like maybe your primary is just getting broken in, unless the change happened overnight.
I'd tend to not lean towards the secondary. If your secondary spring was getting weak from age / worn out, it would allow quicker shift out and cause lower RPM not higher... same with a primary spring.
Also your helix ramp angle wouldn't change either.

Note: Engine break-in is directly related to # of thermal cycles, not mileage...

waspolarisowner said:
06 Attak has been revving at around 11250rpm. I put new belt on same rpm's. Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks Brian

What brand belt are you running? A yamie belt gives me 10900 to 11,200

my carlise belt pulls me down 400 to 500 rpm's depending on weather conditions

mbarryracing said:
number1kyster,
Yamaha primary clutches have the little plastic guide buttons that cause resistance. The more miles you have on those clutches, the easier they move and the faster they go (broken in). Less resistance = higher RPM.
Sounds like maybe your primary is just getting broken in, unless the change happened overnight.
I'd tend to not lean towards the secondary. If your secondary spring was getting weak from age / worn out, it would allow quicker shift out and cause lower RPM not higher... same with a primary spring.
Also your helix ramp angle wouldn't change either.

Note: Engine break-in is directly related to # of thermal cycles, not mileage...

I believe his clutch is not working 100%. It is not grabbing the belt harder so it must be slipping giving him more rpm. Put a kit in it so you can adjust it by adding some weights.

I agree with mbarryracing , on my attack at first it would stay longer in startup (to the bar) but after awhile the rpms droped off into the seconder quicker ,I had to tighten up my seconder spring. If I am right I went from about 60% to 80% to make it stay up to 10700 to 10900 depending on conditions.....mybe the spring is set up wrong!!!!!!I run with the yamie belt NOT the carlise max 3 belt I gained a little on the start but lost it on the top end ...4-5 miles an hour.....anyone else???

Back