• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Overboosting

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to swap ECUs between 2 tuned 2017 ZR9000's? He is currently in the UP with a friend that has also has a tuned ZR9000. That other one has a Turbodynamics Max Spool 17 tune on it. Would it be possible to swap ECUs and see what happens with the boost? I am wondering if that would help determine if it is a bad tune or if there is still some issue with something else in his sled and not the tune.
i had 3 friends that blew engine with those precision 280 map the last 2 years i saw once 19 psi on gauge .... personally i run td for 20000 km with trouble free and most of the time at20 lbs of boost .. and if you swap for a td max spool 17 you need 3 bar map sensor and bov mod . if you don’t want to. put a max17

Last edited:
My biggest concern here is that the Knock system never protected the engine.
This issue needs to be taken up with the Vendor or the tune provider.
I run Hurricane tunes and Dave said the Knock system is designed to protect the engine under the most abusive of operators.
All the tune providers I would think have a similar protective Knock systems
Agree completely which was one of my original points. Once the engine goes into deto, the knock light on cluster should have been flashing and ECU would be reducing timing and boost until deto stopped. Something doesn't add up here. Even if the pilot continued to hold it at WOT, the ECU would continue to reduce timing and lower boost until deto stopped.

Was knock light on last year when it damaged engine?
What gas was he running?
Get it re-flashed, suspect tune files are corrupt or wrong.
I personally have 5 friends with same sled and exact same tune flashed at Speedwerx. They all run flawless.

1. Yes, same tune as last season. It is actually a Speedwerx tune but they use Precision EFI.
2. He is running a 2.5" Speedwerx Stage 2 muffler. https://speedwerx.com/l2-series-lig...2017-2020-zr-xf-m-9000-yamaha-sidewinder.html
3. I believe he is using the stock BOV but I could be wrong. When would a bad BOV cause overboost?
4. Yes, stock airbox.
5. Yes, stock wastegate on both old turbo and new turbo that was installed late last season (still using this turbo)
6. All sensors & solenoid replaced are OEM that he is borrowing from a friend's properly running, 500-mile 2018 Thundercat.
7. I don't have an answer to this.
8. Yes, stock exhaust manifold.
That muffler shows as L2 (Light and Loud) on Speedwerx site. It says it's designed to run on Stage 1. It has no mention of Stage 3. I'm not 100% sure but you better get to them and ask if this is a viable option for Stage 3. Based on what they say on their site, I don't think this is a right option for Stage 3. If they sold this to your brother-in-law for Stage 3, I'd ask again. They should have sold him the one that PEFI made to go with Stage 3 (https://www.precisionefi.com/998-trail-exhaust).

i had 3 friends that blew engine with those precision 280 map the last 2 years i saw once 19 psi on gauge .... personally i run td for 20000 km with trouble free and most of the time at20 lbs of boost .. and if you swap for a td max spool 17 you need 3 bar map sensor and bov mod . if you don’t want to. put a max17

Wow... All 3 of them?

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to swap ECUs between 2 tuned 2017 ZR9000's? He is currently in the UP with a friend that has also has a tuned ZR9000. That other one has a Turbodynamics Max Spool 17 tune on it. Would it be possible to swap ECUs and see what happens with the boost? I am wondering if that would help determine if it is a bad tune or if there is still some issue with something else in his sled and not the tune.
You can swap the ecu but 2017 and 2018 ecu will not work on a 19 to newer.
And the 19 didn't work with the 20 with push button start.
You may want to swap the gauge cluster. Not sure what it would do with td ecu programming and pefi gauge flash

My buddy is running the PEFI bundle of tunes without issues yet, he is running the 3" Sandale muffler. When running the top tune he has to add octane booster or he'll see the flashing dash I think.

When its cold out he will even hit the boost cut so it must be up there around 21 lbs of boost or so to be hitting that boost cut.

PEFI should be doing everything they can to help him out so it does not happen again. Honestly, this is concerning that there has been this many engines reported to go down, it tells me the Deto protections are not as sensitive as they should be, or they are not working properly. I know Hurricane spent a huge amount of time setting up the GAP Deto protections on the dyno and setting the sensitivity. A rattling clutch will even set them off as well as track noise.

I would be getting it re-installed or go down to the next tune level so that it doesn't happen again. Its obvious that something is wrong with the det protection, could also be a bad det sensor.

You can swap the ecu but 2017 and 2018 ecu will not work on a 19 to newer.
And the 19 didn't work with the 20 with push button start.
You may want to swap the gauge cluster. Not sure what it would do with td ecu programming and pefi gauge flash

No need to swap the gauge cluster. Neither of clusters are involved in either of the tunes.

My buddy is running the PEFI bundle of tunes without issues yet, he is running the 3" Sandale muffler. When running the top tune he has to add octane booster or he'll see the flashing dash I think.

When its cold out he will even hit the boost cut so it must be up there around 21 lbs of boost or so to be hitting that boost cut.

PEFI should be doing everything they can to help him out so it does not happen again. Honestly, this is concerning that there has been this many engines reported to go down, it tells me the Deto protections are not as sensitive as they should be, or they are not working properly. I know Hurricane spent a huge amount of time setting up the GAP Deto protections on the dyno and setting the sensitivity. A rattling clutch will even set them off as well as track noise.

I would be getting it re-installed or go down to the next tune level so that it doesn't happen again. Its obvious that something is wrong with the det protection, could also be a bad det sensor.

If the ECU swap shows that he no longer has an overboost problem, it will obviously be in the PEFI tune. I can bet that he'll be bad-mouthing PEFI any chance he can get and will likely go for a TD tune instead. He's invested $3000+ into a new turbo & having his engine rebuilt and definitely will not be a happy camper if the tune was the cause... especially because PEFI pretty much told him it was not possible that the tune was the issue.

If the ECU swap shows that he no longer has an overboost problem, it will obviously be in the PEFI tune. I can bet that he'll be bad-mouthing PEFI any chance he can get and will likely go for a TD tune instead. He's invested $3000+ into a new turbo & having his engine rebuilt and definitely will not be a happy camper if the tune was the cause... especially because PEFI pretty much told him it was not possible that the tune was the issue.
Well, I just hope for PEFI sake that's its not the tune!!!

He borrowed an ECU & 3-bar MAP sensor from a friend that has a TD Max Spool 17 tune. Said it pulled great with those parts installed and was at 18.5psi. I guess the question is... what is the max boost supposed to be on that Max Spool 17 tune?

He borrowed an ECU & 3-bar MAP sensor from a friend that has a TD Max Spool 17 tune. Said it pulled great with those parts installed and was at 18.5psi. I guess the question is... what is the max boost supposed to be on that Max Spool 17 tune?
it’s good !! the 3 bar map sensor is the key here he will have enough fuel now. make sure when is start the sled the 2 red light in the cluster flash a couple of time to tell that the knock protection is on

Back