• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Performance damper(aka voodoo thing) test and review.

Joe ltx-le

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 sidewinder ltx-dx
performance damper was included in the spring power surge, but you had to install yourself. So I thought I would do an experiment. 1000 miles without them on and then install them.

First the install. Was very easy. The front one slips in the frame no problem. With a stock airbox it says you have to remove it. I have the mpi airbox and had tuns of room.
The rear one requires drilling out two rivets and 4 small holes, no big deal.

Now the review. In my first 1000 miles of trail I thought this machine handled great, I also did not notice much chassis vibration. Over all great handling.

After I installed them boom, the machine was still great!! Lol
I was trying very hard to pick up any changes. The only thing they might help with is a little less "chatter" through the ruff stuff, maybe but I honestly think they did very little or nothing ( other then add weight).

This is my opinion if I suddenly vanish you know the Yamaha hit men found me for posting this.

These are hard to understand. They are a quality product, look like a well built piece. So they cost money. But I have not seen any evidence they do anything. You would think Yamaha would publish some test results or the like to show what the do. Yamaha spent some money, and I guess in theory they should help, but no one seems to be sure. And they add weight. For a company that is complaining that snowmobiles are not profitable this is a strange move.

That's not a true test of the dampener. Watch the Youtube video here:

See what Chris Reid shows what it can do for your snowmobile?
All you need is a hammer to properly test them on your sled. :rofl:

I think Yamaha could have better spent money elsewhere than on these dampeners. Curious to know if anyone has purchased them ($1000 ?) separately to add to their sled and actually feel the performance improvement.

Last edited:
I have them on my 14 Vector LTX and don't notice one eyota of difference. Sorry Yamaha!

Nice video. It does make sense, but....... You would think that some magazine would have tried to do some test. I think I remember one magazine saying they did not see a difference???? Once gain, good effort but there more basic areas where money could have been spent, IMO. The again the Viper is an Arctic cat snowmobile, probably not much opportunity for Yamaha engineers to influence design at least in the 1st couple years.

I think Yamaha could have better spent money elsewhere than on these dampeners.

The only reason these are out for snowmobiles is because of cost...not much was needed. CR said Yamaha already makes them for different car manufacturers.

And they use them on a Corolla..... From the explanation given you would think they would be on Ferrari and Corvette.

These do little, Supertrax rode a Viper with them and noticed no significant difference. These dampers would do more for a 2 stroke with all the vibes they create.

To dampen harmonics is 'real' but not certain is an obvious ,I can feel it, kind of change. But all else equal will be micro more comfortable, slightly faster,(not equal to the difference in rider skill) and parts will last longer but all small/ micro in change.

My two cents.

They could put that money into some better shock testing/work. It's on the bumps where it counts, not vibrations.

The only thing I find them useful for is a conversation piece. Can't count the times I come out and people are gathered around my sled wondering what they are. I usually just laugh and tell them I couldn't live without them. Lol

Not expecting alot but am anxious to get out on the snow and see for myself. They do look trick and if they get that much attention I can't wait to have some more fun LOL Need to work on a good line. Maybe it will help to keep my crackers from getting pulverized in my tunnel bag.

Back